WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #68 of 137 Hotels in Portland
london
“value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

we could not believe we could get a motel in so near to downtown Portland (15 min stroll ) for the price.
ok so its basic but the rooms are a ok size and have fridge,micro etc and are very clean.
breakfast is just picked up from reception and taken to the room.
there are food carts next to the motel with good cheap eats.
if you are on a budget we recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Great hotel. Excellent location, close to restaurants and public transport. Very welcoming, knowledgeable and friendly staff, very clean room / bathroom and comfortable bed. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Shelton, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

For a family on a budget trip to downtown Portland, this was a good motel. Even with exterior entrance doors, we felt safe in the neighborhood. Having a fridge and microwave helped us save on our food budget. The AC was nice since it actually got warm in April. We walked from the motel to the Pearl District and to OMSI, each about a mile from the motel. There is public transit a few blocks away, but we chose to walk.

New Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

As the name says, this isn't a Hilton. But the rooms are good sized and clean and even though it's on a busy street, it's not loud inside.

The staff is friendly.

Parking is extra-- an unnecessary way to make extra money.

All in all, I'd stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lake Shastina, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Econo Lodge was clean, well maintained, and quiet. The manager at the front desk was worth the stay! She was so friendly and gave us tips on places to eat that were tasty; as well as within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a new hotel with tons of amenities and fancy televisions, this is not the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Peggy S
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I recommend this property to travelers looking to sleep in a central location without spending a lot of money for that convenience.

I've stayed at this property on several occasions over the past five years, and I appreciate the good value for money: I booked a non-smoking Queen at a AAA-discounted rate of $71/night. I requested a second-floor room to eliminate any noise from above. The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The January chill necessitated use of the heater, which I ran on low whenever I was in the room. WiFi was fast and reliable. The bathroom didn't present any challenges: plenty of room to maneuver, decent lighting, and plenty of space on the spink for toiletries. Good water pressure in the shower. The towels were of good-quality motel variety (not fluffy but also not sandpaper-y -- just right).

The Portland Streetcar, Green/Yellow MAX lines, and several bus lines are each a short walk from the motel (I've never used a car in Portland, so I can't speak of the parking at the motel).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Doubletee_45
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

First of all, I was looking to spend as little money on a hotel as possible because if I'm in Portland, I'm trying to spend my money on beer. Two of my most important factors in deciding on a hotel are price and location. The price was good (much lower than other hotels in Portland in the summer). I did find less expensive places to stay, but they would have been a half hour drive into the heart of Portland and I didn't want to do that. The Econo Lodge is centrally located. Those were the pluses.
On the minus side, even though I expect very little from a hotel when I pay little, I was still slightly disappointed with this one. Almost all the reviews on Tripadvisor were 4 stars (very good) or 5 stars (excellent). I'm sure the reviewers took into account price as well. In my opinion, this motel was OK at best. My particular room was musty; it was not well lit; the bed wasn't comfortable; and the bathroom was dilapidated. Do I care about granite countertops? Obviously not. I'm referring to the old, old wooden door of the bathroom that didn't close quite so well. I didn't examine it closely, but the carpet didn't seem very clean to me either; maybe it just felt dank. Honestly, I kept imagining that this place was the setting for a low budget horror movie (think dark, dilapidated, and musty).
In review, is this motel terrible? No. Would I stay here again? No. Even though i don't stay in my hotel room much, I would, in retrospect, pony up more money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family