“Pay a little more and go somewhere else.”
Review of Cameo Motel

Cameo Motel
Cameo Motel
Ranked #96 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Came here based off of reviews on this site. This place was rated as a great deal. I am not prissy nor am I a chronic complainer. I just wish someone had deterred me so I thought I'd do my part.

The good:
- The staff was friendly.
- It was under 70 to stay there.
- No known contracted diseases yet (but it's early).
- I got some sleep.
- I have a good story.

The bad:
- The door had previously been kicked in (was mostly repaired) and someone had plugged the peephole with toilet paper.
- Three out of five lights in room did not work due to missing switches or no lightbulbs.
- Outlets were lacking in electricity and did not hold plugs.
- Cigarette burns in bedding
- Previously used soap bar in shower.
- Old chocolate Easter egg candy sitting on floor (it's August)
- Batteries scotch taped into remote.
- Other issues as well, but the rest are fairly nitpicky so I'll leave those out.

This all being said, it wasn't the worst hotel experience I've had. I just think my money would have been better spent had I paid an extra thirty or so dollars and gone with one of the other places in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Llynzeee3
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Sorry that your stay here wasn't what you expected, I'm not sure how you think you might have contracted a disease but I feel really bad that you think that. I do apologize for the lighting issue, I will talk to the housekeepers and let them know to check all light bulbs. This building was built in the 60's and the plugs are very hard to hold things from this time era, I totally understand that being a frustration. We are still trying to make this a better place and still in the process of doing that. The candy and the soap should never have been left and that isn't the way we clean our rooms so please except my apologies. We don't require a deposit here to try and make it available to people who might not have it, thus some of the reasons the bedding might have had a burn and that people take the backs off the remotes or brake them. We try replacing these issues as we can, and are waiting for new ones to come. We try really hard to have clean descant rooms at a affordable rate and I am really sorry that things were over looked and not done in the manner you deserved. We will continue to try our best at making this a better motel and will take your review as a way to improve and make sure things are better for the next. Best Wishes The Cameo Staff

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The original hotel that work put me at lost power for the entire day. Not waiting for the FedTraveler bureaucracy to work its way through (on the phone for 4 hours), I ended up here at 23:00 on a Monday night looking for a room. The manager and the maintenance supervisor were both really nice in getting me into a room at a very reasonable rate. The room is very clean and it came with a small fridge, microwave, and desk. I ended up cancelling my stay at the other hotel and rested here for the week on work detail these two weeks.

Room Tip: Stop by the diner across the street for pancakes in the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard P
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank you for your review of our motel and for letting others know that your stay was enjoyable. We are very happy that we were able to make your stay in Portland a good memory. We want to wish you good and safe travels form the Cameo Staff.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

It was already quite late after we'd finished dinner and we were desperate to find an inexpensive hotel. We even went onto a hostel website and then called AAE Portland, but they quoted us a price around $75 for two. After more online research, we discovered that Cameo had pretty good ratings, so we called the place and were quoted a price of around $60. The man at reception was very nice, the motel looked ok from the outside, and we were happy to find a good deal. Once we entered our room, however, we changed our minds about being there. The bed was well made, except that the two pillows were lying on top of the cover, instead of underneath. They were kind of messed up and it looked like someone had pulled out the pillows and used them (they didn't look like freshly washed pillow cases). Right away we called reception and the man came up and said that that was how the beds were made - sometimes the pillows are under the bed cover, and sometimes they're left on top. We'd never heard this kind of explanation before, and we'd definitely never experienced this kind of situation. But the rest of the room looked fairly clean, so we left it at that. The pillows smelled like they had been used, so we turned them over. Still, I didn't feel comfortable, so I placed a towel on top of my pillow. Then I noticed a dried reddish/brown crusty stain on the underside of my side of the sheets when I turned them down. I didn't know if it was dried food or blood or...I was revolted. But by now the reception area had already closed. So I ended up freezing during the night because I didn't want to pull the sheets all the way up. There was a closet area, but no hangers. The towel bar in the bathroom was missing so we hung the towels on the bar in the closet. The next morning at check-out, there was a lady at reception who was very nice and helpful about suggesting interesting places to see. We probably should've complained to her but we'd already stayed the night so we figured there wasn't much point...we just wanted to get out of there. Driving from the motel, we quickly realized that we were in a pretty bad area. I'm rating this property as "poor" and not "terrible" because the staff was friendly and, surprisingly, there were no bed bugs.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fira2007
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

I want to apologize for the delay on getting back to your review. I want to offer our sincerest apologies for your stay not being a pleasant one. The pillows on the out side of the bed was an idea we had gotten from a very large motel chain and thought that it looked inviting, I wish I could have made your stay a good memory. We are always trying to improve our motel and feel very bad that we failed on making sure your room met our standards. We wish you the best in all your travels. Warmest wishes from the Cameo staff, and manager.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

i was traveling through portland and came across the cameo motel.I was a little nervous about the area,but the motel had security cameras and the staff was very helpful and friendly.the rooms really suprised me.they were very clean and had very comfortable beds.i will be back next time i coe through portland.i highly recomend this place.the price was reasnable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bubba62
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The room was clean. But. NO TOWELS or glasses anywhere to be found in the room. When I made manager aware, he grumbled about poor help. Got me towels but never apologized. Kleenex dispenser was empty. No early morning coffee. Had to go across street to 7-11 for coffee.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Don97470
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Thank you for your review of our property. We want to offer our sincere apologizes for your room not having all amenities ready for your stay. Bringing this to our attention is greatly appreciated. We want all our guest to enjoy there stay here. Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff and
Manager, Jennifer

Reviewed September 17, 2011

The good: Clean; even the parts that don't show were dust- and cobweb-free. Comfy bed (queen). Walking distance (two blocks) to a GREAT Indian buffet and a quirky but very good cafe, which is literally across a small side street. You can see my reviews of those, too!

The average: very basic, with a tiny microwave sharing a big armoire with the TV. One bottle each of shampoo and conditioner, two small pats of soap. Sound level from outside not bad, considering it's on a very busy intersection of three streets. Sound level from above also not bad; could barely hear TV and toilet flushing, footsteps overhead a bit more but one expects that. Towels a bit rough and small, but again in a cheap place that's expected.

The bad: maintenance! Just simple, basic stuff: the toilet handle had to be jiggled to stop it from running. The kleenex box was nearly empty. Batteries on remote control for TV were so low, it wouldn't run the cable box, even from 1" away. One lamp was missing the collar that holds the push-button switch into the base, so the lamp was unusable (couldn't push the button). No ice machine (?!?!?)

The worst: no security latch or even a cheap chain lock up high on the door. Trust me, when traveling with a 2-year-old that is a MUST. He was almost out the door in the time it took me to walk across the room! A learning experience in that from now on, it's something I would certainly ask about ... AND my daughter is going to purchase one of those flip-locks as a backup, for future motel stays.

As someone else noted, it is in a pretty run-down neighborhood, but the grounds are certainly clean and well-kept. My daughter said when she checked in, the desk clerk was extremely friendly and helpful, so that's a plus. Did I mention it's easy walking distance to a GREAT restaurant? :-) I wouldn't mind staying here again, since I would know what to expect. For $52 including tax, it wasn't bad.

Room Tip: We were in the "annex", across the street from the main motel. I'd opt for the main p...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank wolfwoman1st
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, We appreciate your opinions and thank you for letting us know ways we can improve guests stay. We appologize for the maintenance
issues and for bringing them to our attention. We want your stay to be one that you truely enjoy. Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again if you are in Portland.
Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I was really pleased with the remodel, and the staff is great!!! The rooms have been revived. This place went from being semi dumpy, to being a nice, comfortable, and still an affordable place to stay. Our stay here was really pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple