“A peaceful and quiet stay”
Review of Cameo Motel

Cameo Motel
and 1 more site!
Cameo Motel
Ranked #92 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Phoenix, Arizona
“A peaceful and quiet stay”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The original hotel that work put me at lost power for the entire day. Not waiting for the FedTraveler bureaucracy to work its way through (on the phone for 4 hours), I ended up here at 23:00 on a Monday night looking for a room. The manager and the maintenance supervisor were both really nice in getting me into a room at a very reasonable rate. The room is very clean and it came with a small fridge, microwave, and desk. I ended up cancelling my stay at the other hotel and rested here for the week on work detail these two weeks.

Room Tip: Stop by the diner across the street for pancakes in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard P
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for your review of our motel and for letting others know that your stay was enjoyable. We are very happy that we were able to make your stay in Portland a good memory. We want to wish you good and safe travels form the Cameo Staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2012

It was already quite late after we'd finished dinner and we were desperate to find an inexpensive hotel. We even went onto a hostel website and then called AAE Portland, but they quoted us a price around $75 for two. After more online research, we discovered that Cameo had pretty good ratings, so we called the place and were quoted a price of around $60. The man at reception was very nice, the motel looked ok from the outside, and we were happy to find a good deal. Once we entered our room, however, we changed our minds about being there. The bed was well made, except that the two pillows were lying on top of the cover, instead of underneath. They were kind of messed up and it looked like someone had pulled out the pillows and used them (they didn't look like freshly washed pillow cases). Right away we called reception and the man came up and said that that was how the beds were made - sometimes the pillows are under the bed cover, and sometimes they're left on top. We'd never heard this kind of explanation before, and we'd definitely never experienced this kind of situation. But the rest of the room looked fairly clean, so we left it at that. The pillows smelled like they had been used, so we turned them over. Still, I didn't feel comfortable, so I placed a towel on top of my pillow. Then I noticed a dried reddish/brown crusty stain on the underside of my side of the sheets when I turned them down. I didn't know if it was dried food or blood or...I was revolted. But by now the reception area had already closed. So I ended up freezing during the night because I didn't want to pull the sheets all the way up. There was a closet area, but no hangers. The towel bar in the bathroom was missing so we hung the towels on the bar in the closet. The next morning at check-out, there was a lady at reception who was very nice and helpful about suggesting interesting places to see. We probably should've complained to her but we'd already stayed the night so we figured there wasn't much point...we just wanted to get out of there. Driving from the motel, we quickly realized that we were in a pretty bad area. I'm rating this property as "poor" and not "terrible" because the staff was friendly and, surprisingly, there were no bed bugs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fira2007
, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
I want to apologize for the delay on getting back to your review. I want to offer our sincerest apologies for your stay not being a pleasant one. The pillows on the out side of the bed was an idea we had gotten from a very large motel chain and thought that it looked inviting, I wish I could have made your stay a good memory. We are always trying to improve our motel and feel very bad that we failed on making sure your room met our standards. We wish you the best in all your travels. Warmest wishes from the Cameo staff, and manager.

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 24, 2011

i was traveling through portland and came across the cameo motel.I was a little nervous about the area,but the motel had security cameras and the staff was very helpful and friendly.the rooms really suprised me.they were very clean and had very comfortable beds.i will be back next time i coe through portland.i highly recomend this place.the price was reasnable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bubba62
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The room was clean. But. NO TOWELS or glasses anywhere to be found in the room. When I made manager aware, he grumbled about poor help. Got me towels but never apologized. Kleenex dispenser was empty. No early morning coffee. Had to go across street to 7-11 for coffee.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Don97470
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you for your review of our property. We want to offer our sincere apologizes for your room not having all amenities ready for your stay. Bringing this to our attention is greatly appreciated. We want all our guest to enjoy there stay here. Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff and
Manager, Jennifer
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The good: Clean; even the parts that don't show were dust- and cobweb-free. Comfy bed (queen). Walking distance (two blocks) to a GREAT Indian buffet and a quirky but very good cafe, which is literally across a small side street. You can see my reviews of those, too!

The average: very basic, with a tiny microwave sharing a big armoire with the TV. One bottle each of shampoo and conditioner, two small pats of soap. Sound level from outside not bad, considering it's on a very busy intersection of three streets. Sound level from above also not bad; could barely hear TV and toilet flushing, footsteps overhead a bit more but one expects that. Towels a bit rough and small, but again in a cheap place that's expected.

The bad: maintenance! Just simple, basic stuff: the toilet handle had to be jiggled to stop it from running. The kleenex box was nearly empty. Batteries on remote control for TV were so low, it wouldn't run the cable box, even from 1" away. One lamp was missing the collar that holds the push-button switch into the base, so the lamp was unusable (couldn't push the button). No ice machine (?!?!?)

The worst: no security latch or even a cheap chain lock up high on the door. Trust me, when traveling with a 2-year-old that is a MUST. He was almost out the door in the time it took me to walk across the room! A learning experience in that from now on, it's something I would certainly ask about ... AND my daughter is going to purchase one of those flip-locks as a backup, for future motel stays.

As someone else noted, it is in a pretty run-down neighborhood, but the grounds are certainly clean and well-kept. My daughter said when she checked in, the desk clerk was extremely friendly and helpful, so that's a plus. Did I mention it's easy walking distance to a GREAT restaurant? :-) I wouldn't mind staying here again, since I would know what to expect. For $52 including tax, it wasn't bad.

Room Tip: We were in the "annex", across the street from the main motel. I'd opt for the main p...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank wolfwoman1st
cameogm, Manager at Cameo Motel, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, We appreciate your opinions and thank you for letting us know ways we can improve guests stay. We appologize for the maintenance
issues and for bringing them to our attention. We want your stay to be one that you truely enjoy. Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again if you are in Portland.
Warmest Wishes From The Cameo Staff
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I was really pleased with the remodel, and the staff is great!!! The rooms have been revived. This place went from being semi dumpy, to being a nice, comfortable, and still an affordable place to stay. Our stay here was really pleasant.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Not a pleasant experience. I made a blind purchase trusting that 2 star would mean 2 star. This hotel, while trying to improve, is still NOT 2 star. I wouldn't even rate it...yet. They are remodeling it appears. However, my curtain did not even cover my window entirely. The bathroom floor is like bamboo matting. I first noticed that there was no Do Not Disturb sign to put out....which was because they apparently do not offer daily maid service. I've seen a few "clean" reviews....really? Semen stains on the office chair does NOT qualify as clean to me. When I arrived, the desk was already closed around 10:30. Took a few to get a response. The guy that came down was nice enough, but pretty intimidating in appearance. After reading reviews about tough looking guys talking about drug deals, I opted to keep my feedback to myself. No coffee maker, hair dryer or ironing board in room. I wouldn't tell people not to stay here, but it is not worth a comparable 2 star rate at all. Happy travels!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo