“Far better than expected”
Review of Palms Motel

Palms Motel
Ranked #109 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Granted, my expectations were extremely low when my boyfriend and I drove by this place at 4am one morning, in dire need of a break from the road. A gruff woman working the night window agreed to rent us a room until 11am for $40, a pretty fair rate.

The room relatively clean, parking was free and so was wifi. The palm sign is a true classic. The morning guy and the woman who checked us in even stretched their (very strict) rules in the morning, allowing us to check out at noon instead of 11am.

Note: This is not downtown Portland by any means and I wouldn't stay there without a car. It's basically a decent motel for a road trip break.

Room Tip: Ask for the honeymoon suite, they do have one!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lael_Lael

Reviewed November 16, 2010

I was very disappointed in this motel. There was a mix-up in my original reservation and I was charged twice for the room and they refused to provide me with a refund. After a 4-hour drive, I was totally exhausted and was looking forward to resting. I forgot one of my suitcases and the room did not have a hair dryer so, needless to say, I looked pretty bad the next morning. The coffee maker was a single-cup maker and there was only enough coffee for one cup.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank LazySkitter
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I am not sure if my stay is representative of the hotel as a whole but I have to say this was the worst place I have ever stayed. The "Non-smoking" room reeked of smoke, had cig burns on the mattress and was poorly cleaned. Smallest shower I have ever seen and it leaked all over the bathroom as well. No fan in the bathroom also sucked. Management was rude, barely spoke English, and was not helpful about the problems either. This street is full of motels, and I would recommend trying another.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Crazyclimber
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Unlike most I was attracted to The Palms after seeing its fantastic neon palm tree sign complete with blue monkey. After checking out the prices I made my reservations for two nights and anxiously awaited to see if my blind faith would see me through.

The Palms is extremely easy to find- the sign doesn't let you down, even in the day time. It's a quick 3 minutes from I-5 on N Interstate. The nice thing about a hotel that is outside of downtown (besides the reduced rates) is the lack of noise. Even with the MAX (light rail) right outside there is minimal outside noise.

I was pleasantly surprised with my room. It seemed recently renovated and everything was in average-to-great condition. The bed (king sized) had a soft mattress and three pillows of average quality. The TV was impressive with lot's of channels (Direct TV). The bathroom was average, and actually bigger than I would have guessed. No problems EXCEPT, I did notice some ants; just a few at first but by the end of my stay there was a little army. They didn't bother me but had I been staying there longer I would have had a problem with it.

The nice thing about The Palms was that it was painless. Check in was simple and so was check out. The owners were very polite and helpful. I'm not a picky hotel-stayer so perhaps that had something to do with it but my stay at the Palms Hotel felt effortless and relaxing and those are some great and rare qualities to find in a "cheap hotel."

The bottom line is that The Palms hotel is worth the price and maybe a little more. Save your money for the food in Portland and stay at The Palms.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I went up to see my Grandkids and stay in a hotel for peace of mind; and they give a weekly rate. However, when I got there the manager came out and said that "I smoked," which I don't, and growled at me. He said if you are going to stay here, I will charge you a twenty dollar deposit and then stomped off into his living quartering adjoining the office. I was shocked. They never said anything about a deposit before on the phone; it dampened my spirits. Instead of two weeks, I stayed one. When I tried to get my deposit back, she didn't process it for several days later and I had to threaten them with a complaint with the Oregon Consumer Complaint LIne. I read several of these reviews and I agree THE OWNER IS MEAN AND UNCARING. He shouldn't be in hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank househousetree
Reviewed June 25, 2010

When driving up to the Palms Motel you might look up at the giant lit up palm tree and chuckle but don't be fooled. This is comfortable place to stay. Despite what others have said, the management are very reasonable and accommodating. As far as the rooms go, they are a great for what you pay. I found all of my amenities to be functional and my room was clean. Although the housekeepers could have been more thorough, in my opinion. The location is great because it is right next to the MAX transportation railway and downtown is very close. If you're looking to get a great value then you can't go wrong with Palms

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RickP3191
Reviewed May 12, 2010

The Indian proprietor and his wife are genial; however, nothing can compensate for the shortcomings without a substantial overhaul. The rugs are threadbare. The shower bar in Room 70 is flimsy and collapses at the slightest touch. There are no towel bars. The bathlight automatically turns on the fan, very noisy at night. MAX runs on the street but it's pretty quiet. There's a frig but we pulled the plug due to noise when it recyles during the night. The office is kept locked so no computer to access. There is laptop service but didn't try same. Toilet stopped up 1st night and had to get office to supply plunger. Staff forgot to replenish coffee packets. Also, "we do not do decaf". I can understand a low price with few amenities. But why not a few dollars to fix the shower bar and put in a towel bar or two?

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple