“Good price but beware” 2 of 5 bubbles

Nordic Motel
Ranked #28 of 138 Hotels in Portland
“Good price but beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here as just a cheap place to sleep since we were going to Portland to meet some friends and then leaving early for a car show an hour away. First of all the neighborhood is not the best we were a little worried about even leaving the car out in the parking lot but since we made reservations we stayed. The room had a weird strong smell like old mens cologne but overall seemed pretty clean. We decided to take the transit to meet the red line to downtown Portland. We waited across the street for the transit for half an hour and we were a little worried about standing alone n that neighborhood, the transit was scary and the red line even worse. We got off as soon as we were across the bridge and walked to where we were going. Getting back to the motel later that night the train is right across a busy street and very loud. In the morning we were getting ready to leave and the room has no coffee maker, my husband went to the front desk to get coffee and the man behind the counter said he doesnt make it untill 7am (it was 6:30) he said try going to the 7-11 down the street, my husband drove down the street the 7-11 was boarded up and spaypainted. He came back and got me so we could leave, we went to the front desk to get the $20 deposit back but the man said he had to go to the room and count the towels first? Really?! I would most definitely spend the extra money to stay at a safe and more courteous hotel the next time we are in Portland. I would not reccomend especially if traveling with children.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I'm not going to go off the deep end and say this is luxury, but for the low-end hotel at the double-digit price, this place is worth it, even despite the location. While I could still potentially see the setting as a Texas Chainsaw Massacre filmsite, the inside was clean and nice. It had ambient traffic noise at night, but aside from that, it was great. I didn't hear any noise coming through from any "friendly" neighborly folk next door or anything. Do stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Jared R
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I love everything about this place. The price is right, the rooms are super clean and comfy, and the owners treat me like I am a beloved family member. I found a great authentic German bakery down the street a bit and a fabulous cup of coffee just across the street, both perfect after a solid night's sleep. The neighborhood isn't the best but even as a single woman arriving after midnight, I had no worries. Stay here and you will not be sorry!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank navkaren
kc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Extremely clean! Microwave, good tv, nice vanity area. Cold ac. No complaints here. Not the best neighborhood but we felt perfectly safe. Highly recommend.

Good access to airport also.

Okay now I have to ramble because tripadvisor says that this review has to be at least 200 characters and I dont have anything else to say really so now I feel like giving tripadvisor a terrible review even though it is one of my favorite websites. Sorry Nordic.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank On-the-road79
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The room was spacious, very comfortable and super clean. I had a great night's sleep for my full three nights sleep. The staff are delightful and friendly. It was easy to get to everything easily from the Nordic Motel. This is a great, simple, comfortable motel, nothing fancy, just simple and comfortable. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MarthaMo
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

An excellent motel especially for the price. We stayed at the Nordic in August for a total of 2 nites (with 1 day in between) and were very, very, pleasantly surprised. The motel is clean, it's 4 mins. from the airport, it's quiet, and it's personnel is very professional and courteous. We checked in at 2:30a.m. and woke up the lady running the desk as they live at and manage the hotel. I even joked with her a bit and she was all smiles. I know how I am at 2:30a.m. if someone wakes me up, not too happy, but she was friendly and took care of me promptly and let me know if I needed anything at all to let them know. We were close to the road but my wife and I, who I might say that I am a very lite sleeper, slept like babies all nite long. Again the room was extremely clean, the beds comfortable, the internet strong, and the showers hot. You couldn't ask for anything more (except maybe a massage) the staff and the Nordic are great. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest this motel to any of my friends or acquaintances. Oh when I checked out the first day I told them I would need a room following day (not the night of check out but the next nite) and they said no problem we will save you a room. The next nite I had a room with a flat screen t.v. plenty of cable and even a DVD player if I wanted to watch rented movies. We were only in Portland for a couple of days (I was ministering a wedding) but wish we could have stayed a week! This motel made you feel like you had never left home. Take my advise stay there you won't be disappointed. As for bed bugs, as I read on one review, there aren't any. I don't know what was biting them but I stayed in two different rooms and didn't find anything biting me or my wife. And as for the neighborhood, we rented a nice Ford Mustang and it was still in tact the next morning (and we left a lot of things in the car a thief would love to get) even the hubcaps. If you really want to enjoy your stay in Portland you definitely will want to stay at the Nordic. God Bless

Room Tip: We didn't have a problem with the two rooms we slept in it was quiet. The first nite we even sle...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PastorKelly007
Bend, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our stay at the Nordic Motel was very pleasant. The woman who checked me in was very kind and polite. The room was small, but we didn't spend much time in it. Just needed a bed to sleep in, and that fit the bill. The room was clean and tidy. There were plenty of towels to use and the shower head was really nice. Good water pressure and plenty of holes in the shower head (it didn't feel like my skin was being sand blasted like I have experienced in other low cost hotel/motels.) The television was a little difficult to figure out at first, it started the guide in the HD channels (which weren't subscribed to) and it took a little while to get back to the channels that actually came in. We gave up and fired up Netflix on the laptop with the free Wi-Fi. The location of the hotel is pretty close to the airport, about a 5 minute drive to the short-term parking garage. No breakfast is served, but they do have complimentary coffee, tea, cider and cocoa in the morning. We ate at the Elmer's restaurant down the street. So overall, it's not the Ritz, but you're also not paying your first born child for a place to lay your head for the evening. If you are looking for cheap and easy, but clean and pleasant, than look no further.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends