“Bang for the bucks.”

Monticello Motel
Monticello Motel
Ranked #86 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed here over black Friday weekend for a day. Its very close to Portland downtown. Neighborhood is good. Family running this place is very friendly and I would recommend this place for its value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Puneet S

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Have stayed here twice in the past few months. As the other reviews point out, the neighborhood does feel a bit iffy and in my first visit, the room had a bit of a musty smell. though it dissipated within minutes of my opening a window. During my second visit, I returned at one point to find a small bag with a note which contained my socks from my first visit. Very nice. The rooms are quite basic but very clean with comfortable beds; staff is friendly and helpful. Good public transport just outside. Rates are reasonable. What else does one need?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank gary c
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a very clean motel, not upscale but well maintained and managed. We were not sure about the neighborhood at night, but did notice that none of the houses around us had barred windows, and the proprietors had deliberately left a window open in the room before we checked in. Easy access to the train, kitchenette is not well supplied (at least a little dish soap and a dish cloth should be there, and another pot or two), but it's there, and the room was spacious. Very good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michael S
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked a room here going by the other reviews I read on Trip Advisor, I was really disappointed. The room had a musty smell and was well used. I have stayed in much cleaner rooms before. It is real close to the rail station and easy to get around but not in the best of neighborhoods. I asked for a conformation E-mail upon booking the room and never received one. I called twice and asked and was told the person that does the computer was not there. When I checked in I had to ring the bell three times to get someone to unlock the office door. Check in was rather strange he had me write my info on half slip of paper when I asked for a receipt he just handed me another half sheet of paper and told me to fill it out again and then he wrote my price on the bottom. This place is very sketchy. I will not return. I saw much better places while I was visiting Portland. Price might of been cheap but not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Harleyboo73
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I needed to stay just one night in Portland and wasn't looking to spend a lot. The motel is conveniently located near I-5 and lightrail station, which is great but can be a bit loud for light sleepers. My room had a king-size bed, full kitchen, even a small dining table, and everything was nice and clean. The water in the shower took a while to heat up and the shower head didn't work great (not a huge deal though). The wifi signal was very strong; in fact, the motel had multiple wireless networks to choose from, and the front desk told me to simply pick the strongest one. Only interacted with the front desk to check-in and check-out, not overly friendly but they got the job done.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This motel is clean, inexpensive and friendly. We stayed in room 14 on the end. No neighbors on one side and a supply room on the other so very quiet room. Spacious with kitchen. Great! Tips: Closest liquor store is 1.7 miles away in Kenton area on Denver Ave. The area itself is interesting to visit. Fred Meyer “superstore” is 1.2 miles North on Interstate. You can get anything you might want or need there. A convenience store/Subway is about a block South.
Take the Yellow Line public rail (only 3 short blocks) into downtown and go from there. Buy the $5 day pass, good for all public transit.
Only downside is the street noise from cars, rail and occasional train. Does quiet down late at night when the rail stops.

Room Tip: Room 14 with 2 queens and kitchen was very comfortable
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank megscakes
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was in Portland in August and decided to stay at the Monticello Motel for three nights based on the write ups I read on tripadvisor. It was a perfect location for me to come and go easily by transit, while my car was safely parked....for free. The motel was clean, the beds comfortable and the fridge handy for me to store my snacks.

I want to thank the family that runs the motel for finding my digital camera (which I left on the bed), and shipping it to my home in Toronto, Canada. They didn't even ask me to pay for the shipping up front. My digital memories are safe and my highest regards go out to the Monticello.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends