“Ugly restaurant, long wait, and below average food.”
Review of Luc Lac Kitchen

Luc Lac Kitchen
Ranked #43 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Excellent happy hour 6 days a week, open until 4am Fri/Sat, downtown location.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This vietnamese restaurant came highly recommended by hotel staff. As we approached, we could smell the delicious smell wafting to the street. The wait was very long. You order at the counter and then are seated when something becomes available. The good news is that you get to watch delicous LOOKING food move all around the little dive of a shop (very unattractive dining. The bad news is that the server brought us our food after 15 minutes in a to-go bag when we very clearly stated that we were dine-in. They finally seated us another 15 minutes after that where we sat for yet another 15 minutes waiting for our food. At then the big bomb of badness....the food was AWFUL!! Looked beautiful and tasted like meat I have never eaten in my life. Flavorless noodles, giant heaps of rice, very little substance or flavor. You get HUGE portions of not very good food. I would definitely save yourself the time and calories and skip this one.

2  Thank Blahblahlovefood

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My long time girl...friend, Jeweley, took me out to lunch at Luc Lac on Friday afternoon. Even though it was a little past 1:30pm, the place was packed. Getting to the order counter, Jeweley ordered for both of us, getting two orders of the Chicken Charbroiled Meat Skewers marinated with lemongrass and glazed with honey and an order of Fresh Spring Rolls. It wasn't too long and we were seated at a small, cozy table. Be forewarned, you're pretty much sitting elbow to elbow in here, but it's pretty much about the food and not so much the atmosphere. Our food soon arrived and over a long-overdue conversation about family, friends, summer vacations, and more than a little on hopes and dreams of the future, we enjoyed a very good lunch. I've never had Vietnamese food before and found my first time to be impressive! A little heat, but not so much to make you break out in a sweat, and a really good dipping sauce. Of course I had to try the chopsticks as everyone else was, including Jeweley, who proved to be rather rood at it. After a bit she suggested I use a fork before I starved, which I deeply appreciated. About the only criticism I had was that the chicken was over cooked, far exceeding the recommended 165 degrees. This was flavorful but very dry. Give this place a try...and THANKS Jeweley!!!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

One of our friends really recommended this place and said we MUST go there. Towards the end of our stay in Portland we realised that we hadn't visited yet so were very excited to go. We ended up going for happy hour, so didn't pay full price for everything, but we were still really really disappointed with the food. The pho, in particular, was really bland - it was like they has used a really weak veg stock cube for the broth. The service was also really terrible - the waiting staff and especially the guy that took our order, were actually quite rude. Vietnamese is one of my favourite types of food - and we has discovered an AMAZING Vietnamese resto in Seattle - so this was just disappointing and a bit of a waste of money.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I've eaten here with work associates a few times for lunch and everyone has loved their food every time. It is a small place and there can be a line so you need to time your visit, maybe no later than 11:30 or no earlier than 12:30. You do have to look at the menu in advance and decide what you want and order at the counter. You then get seated and they bring the food to you. Service is bare bones. You get your own silverware, napkins and water from a serving station. It can be a little difficult too to grab one of the wait staff to get a box to take any leftovers to go. The price and the flavors though are spot on. I have wanted to bring family on the weekend but they weren't open for lunch on the weekend the couple of times I've attempted it.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This restaurant often has a line out of the door on weekdays at lunchtime. It is not a large restaurant though! The food is fabulous and staff allow you to place your order and have you wait while it cooks before they seat you at a table. Te restaurant is really too small and tables are far to close together than I would wish for. I am a relatively small build and I feel smooched into my table. That is the restaurant's main negative. I don't like that I smelled of food after leaving, that permeated around me for the rest of the day, but the prices are not bad and the quality of the food is wonderful. Maybe in the future I will take my order to go.