“Good choice in Portland”
Review of Luc Lac Kitchen

Luc Lac Kitchen
Ranked #33 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Excellent happy hour 6 days a week, open until 4am Fri/Sat, downtown location.
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Luc Lac had a good selection of Vietnamese choices, including Pho, Bahn Mi and Bun. The quality was very good - but not stellar - and the atmosphere was lively which made it a very enjoyable dinner.

The downside, for me, was that you need to stand in line to order, after which you're seated and served. Not knowing the restaurant well, and with a line of people waiting to order, I felt a lot of pressure to order very quickly, and barely had time to really look at the full menu. I'd enjoy it more on another visit, knowing the menu a bit better.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I'm spending a vacation week in Portland while hubby attends a computer industry conference at the Portland Convention Center, so I have the days free to do a little work, and walk around town.

I always scout out Vietmanese places where ever I am, and this one was just a few blocks from our downtown hotel.

I've been twice for lunch, arriving before 11:30 am, and so before the long line of pho fans arrive.

The instructions are on the front of the menu, and on the wall.

1. Order up at the cashier before getting seated.
2. Pick up your self serve water, napkins and utensils in front
3. The seat you, serve you, bus your table

Pink menus are on the counter (which also has FULL bar!) This restaurant is open late!

Lunch M-F 11am-2:30pm
Dinner M-Th 4pm-12am, Fri and Sat 4pm - 4am!!
Closed Sunday

I had tofu pho one day, and spring shrimp spring rolls the next. The tofu was plentiful, firm and not fried. In addition tot he usual veggies in veggie pho, there were whole mushrooms and small string beans, which were bring green and snappy. The meat broth was redolent of the spices in grandma's secret recipe (according to the menu) Nice spring rolls too!

I'll be in Portland 4 more days so I may wander inone more time and try something else.

Decor - pink umbrellas on the ceiling, and the people watching was great!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We weren't all that hungry and just ordered a vermicelli with satay chicken plate to share. First shock was the price, $7.50. I assumed an appetizer sized plate for that amount. Second shock was when it arrived. The plate was huge with three big skewers of chicken. I should have guessed as diner's received similarly sized large bowls of pho. The food was excellent. No a/c or fans which made it feel like being in Hanoi. Great place.

1  Thank TheFez
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We had a very nice happy hour at Luc Lac. The two dollar plates were fun and tasty. The spring rolls were especially nice. Very busy place with lots of locals enjoying the food and spirits. Easy to miss when walking down 2nd.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I can't get enough of this creative Vietnamese-inspired restaurant in downtown Portland. Your palate will travel all over Southeast Asia as you experience their menu. The Coconut Curry with Glass noodles which we tried with shrimp is reminiscent of Laksa (Malaysian/Singaporean) and leaves you wanting to lick the bowl clean. The Chicken wings with their sticky sweet spicy flavor and chewy-crunchy texture evoke Singapore wings crossed with Thai Chicken wings - satisfyingly decadent. Even their Pho is taken to higher levels because of the clean fresh flavor of their broth. Don't be afraid to try something new each time you visit (and you are sure to return!) as so far we have yet to be disappointed. Friendly staff and no fuss atmosphere lets you focus on your eating. Happy travels!