“stay away from this place”

Motel 6 Portland North
Ranked #113 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“stay away from this place”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and found it to be in a not so nice area. Lock your car for sure and if you happen to have a Pit-bull leave him in the car.The staff have NO idea as to what customer service is. That's when they staff was there at the desk not outside smoking. The whole building including the rooms reek of stale smoke. There was a sign at the front desk 24/7 pointing to a pager securely affixed to the wall to call for help. That sign was never taken down. They advertise they have a spa (hot tub) but it was always closed 24/7. They also advertise internet access and that was also a joke. Remember dial up? As for the clientele they rent to on a cash basis day to day they are not the neighbors I would want to have. I was there long enough to see what was going on there afterhours. I would not advise anyone to ever stay at this location. There are many safe and clean hotels close by.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank eat M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Staff very unfriendly and uninterested. That was our first experience with this motel 6.

Bed and bathroom quite clean but carpet, hallways and elevator dirty. Although affordable we would advise you to seek a little further and pay a little more.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Oz O
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in many motels during our Oregon road trip and this one is the worst of all. Stains on carpet in the room, blanket has burned marks, everything is VERY basic - no microwave, no fridge, no hair dryer, no shampoo in the room, no breakfast. You don't want to even getting close to some people we saw in the lobby . Location isn't good either - very noisy from the hwy traffic, surrounded by industrial area, far from everything. STRONGLY not recommend this place,

Room Tip: It wasn't terrible, but we could find a better motel for the same money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank avv
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am a constant traveler, 30 years worth. Have stayed in everything from 1-5 Stars and less. And More. My assistant had not made a reservation for me, so I found the nearest Motel 6 on my GPS and drove there. Property is located just over the bridge from Vancouver, WA, in northern Portland, OR. First thing which caught my eye was the sign, "Free WiFi". As any regular Motel 6 customer knows, WiFi normally costs $3, for which the customer gets an access code card for use in their room. Here it was free.

Inside the lobby, saw a sign for free morning coffee. LOTS of vending, a very cheap, and good, pair of laundry machines - $1 each, 45 minutes on the dryer - and a clean lobby. Check In was easy, but - and this was a first for me at any Motel 6 - a deposit is charged, in this case, $40. Yes, this brand is typically located in less than stellar areas and the clientele can be a bit, shall we say, shaggy.

My only real complaint upon checking in was the lack of a luggage cart. Rooms access is only through the lobby. There is NO outside access. Thus, having no luggage cart translates into more than one trip for multiple bags. I am disabled and so I was looking at a very tiring scenario. However, the clerk suggested my using a laundry cart, which she brought to me, and which worked well. After that, all was fine.

In the morning, however, things got a little too exciting. Seems that someone played around with the shower head, rendering not only the tub wet, but the entire bathroom as well, including a nice pool on the floor. I was slipping around, trying to hold my balance and eventually did get clean. Checking out, I told the manager, and she and I walked to the room. She watched as I turned on the water. She then summoned the maintenance chief, who did a more thorough inspection and pronounced himself unhappy with the situation. We then returned to the front desk.

Upshot: The manager refunded my entire night's stay, plus my $4 deposit. Service. It is what we pay for, and seldom receive.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Abie S
bc canada
Reviewed February 27, 2013

At check in person at desk not friendly or helpful asked for quite room got one with lots of noise,the wifi is included in price not given code ,phone didnt work so had to walk back to desk for wifi code.lots of rules not muck service no sweetner for coffee just sugar no hot chocolate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank joe v
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Travelling South from Canada with two dogs and a large trailer in tow.
Asked for 2 beds,non smoking and pet friendly.
Nice room (103) with ease of access for dogs.
Beds comfy. Room clean and not a bad size. Quiet.
Had to pay extra $10 for second dog.
Towels usual Motel 6 which are kinda thin. Only soap so bring shampoo plus hair dyer.
No restaurants close, but ordered Pizza to room as recomended in room binder. Very good. Hot and fresh.
Parking for bug rig was a breeze.
Girl at check in very efficient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Traveling through Portland and we decided to stay the night. We just wanted a bed to sleep in. We didn't care about anything else. Hubby and I decided we'd stay at a Motel 6 since it was cheap and nearby. The location seems a bit sketchy, but as soon as we walked in the front door the young lady at the front desk made us feel at ease. Greeted us with a smile and make us feel like we were talking to a long time friend. She was definitely very pleasant to speak with. I should have stopped in the morning to talk to the manager to tell him/her that Alicia needs a raise for how amazing she is! Definitely going to stay here the next time we are in Portland.

• Stayed November 2012