“Surprise”

Comfort Inn Portland
Ranked #67 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 24, 2009

After staying a comfort suites that was a dump this comfort inn was much better and only 3 miles away from the dump.

Room was worth every cent.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 12, 2009

I drove down to Portland after spending some time in Washington. I was there to look at the Columbia River Gorge area so I did not really need to stay in downtown Portland and pay the parking rates for having a car. But I also wanted to be near Portland so that I could take a look. That was why I ended up at the Comfort Inn...and I am glad that I did.

The Comfort Inn is about 5 miles from downtown but right next to the train station so made it ideal if you wanted to go downtown. I did take the trip in to walk around for a few hours and eat dinner.

The area of the Comfort Inn is not that great. I walked around, didn't feel unsafe but then there was nothing worthwhile either. You definitely need a car. But by going south on 82nd Street a couple of miles, that is where a lot of Asian restaurants and shopping areas are located. After finding that out, I had no need to go to the Chinatown in Portland to eat.

If I would go to Portland again, I would probably stay at the Comfort Inn again. Prices were right, room was nice, there was a computer in the lobby for use, service personnel were all nice and helpful and they had cookies every evening. What else do you need?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Franklin90278
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I wanted a hotel with easy access to the airport - it is a 10 minute drive. We received a warm welcome, and help from the front desk about the Tri-Max transport system a few minutes from the front door. The hotel also provided change for train tickets

The room is a good size, and spotlessly clean. The Internet connection was slightly tempermental, and you need your own cable. The breakfast included waffles, make them yourself and so was an adequate continental.

Other reviewers said the area was not good, it is full of second hand car dealers, but otherwise no problem.

There is a pool, we did not use, but looked nice. Plenty of parking, some even covered.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael_East_Sussex
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I've stayed in Comfort Inns in various cities and have generally been pleased with their quality and value, but this one is several levels above the others. The rooms are spacious and spotless and the staff are friendly and accommodating.

The numerous amenities add to the value. High speed internet in rooms (bring a LAN cable) and wireless Internet in the lobby. Beautiful indoor pool and fitness center. Free continental breakfast served from 6-10AM. There is a Chinese restaurant and a cocktail lounge across the street from the hotel.

The neighborhood is little rough (as is most of central Portland) but there is a tall steel fence surrounding the hotel and all exterior entrances are activated by room key. There is ample enclosed parking right outside the covered entrance. I felt comfortable and secure.

Conveniently located, you could leave your car in the hotel lot and commute everywhere by public transportation. The hotel is a one-minute walk from a transportation hub (bus and trolley).

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank jmcalli
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This hotel is located in a working class neighborhood. Don't have a problem with the location as there is a lot of eating options and a Safeway about 5 minutes away by car. It's located right off the highway and the transit system is also right there.
It's about a 10 minute drive to downtown.

We had a few problems, our first room was missing a shower curtain so we had to transfer room. Second room had a very noisy bathroom fan. Not big problems just annoyances. Also there was the odd design choice of having the sink out in the main area and not with the bathroom.

Breakfast was average except there was this porridge with ground beef that was pretty good. There is a pool and hot tub and a exercise room which we didn't use.

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank Techboy
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Location: While address in on Wasco St., hotel is really located on NE 82nd AV and I-84, just across I-84 from MAX Red Line station. We took 15 min MAX ride from airport, at station, elevator whisked us and our bags up to street level, then walked 100 yds to hotel.

While we had booked an ordinary 2-queen bed room for $68 AARP, we were upgraded to a king suite just because the desk clerk liked us and they were not busy. Either room is fine. Bed was ultra comfortable, room was spotless. They give you an ethernet cable to connect to internet in rooms for a $10 deposit (or use your own). Coffeemaker, fridge, microwave. Plenty of desk and luggage rack space.

Indoor pool and spa were outstanding and relaxing (towels provided at pool).

Want to go downtown? Just hop on the MAX and you will be there in 20 minutes. (runs every 15 min). From downtown, you can ride any public transport in the "fareless zone" (i.e., all over downtown) for FREE. If you come by car, they have reasonably secure parking.

All in all, this place is a WINNER.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank kidoncorner
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We were pleased with our choice to stay here on the first night and last night of our trip to Oregon. It's very close to PDX and convenient to take public transportation into the city. We arrived at PDX, were able to check in, then grab a quick bite at Taco Bell (we were starving because we couldn't buy lunch during a stopover from the East Coast) before getting ready to head into Portland for sightseeing. As others have said there isn't much nearby, except an Elmer's (described to us as an upscale Denny's) across the street and the Taco Bell. Based on tripadvisor reviews, I was able to warn my husband that we'd be near car dealerships.

The room was very clean, had a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. I thought the king bed was even more comfy than the beds at the 2 bed and breakfasts that we stayed at on the coast!

Breakfast was adequate - waffles, fruit, hard boiled eggs, toast...

We traveled around Oregon for a week and came back for our last evening. We could've cancelled and tried to book something downtown, but decided that it was very comfy, convenient, and a good deal to boot. It was easy for us to take a daytrip along the Columbia River Gorge on our last day.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TAmomof2