“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cherokee Rose Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cherokee Rose Inn
Ranked #10 of 36 Portland B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Sandy, the owner, is a wonderful hostess and makes you feel right at home staying in her cozy craftsman bungalow. Her very filling breakfasts are delicious - perfect for the vegan or vegetarian. She is very accomodating to special requests. She could not have been nicer and more welcoming. Great location as it is in a residential neighborhood with decent parking but easy walking distance to Hawthorne, tons of restaurants and bars, and great parks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick610

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We spent two nights at this B and B. First, Sandy the owner is very nice and personable. She has tried to create a vegan destination. Her breakfasts are very good. The downstairs is comfortable. There are some negatives however.
We found our room just not clean. True, linen was washed but dust bunnies everywhere. You could not put your hand down without an outline of dust. I could go on and on but I don't want to hurt her feelings. It could use a coat of paint upstairs and the outside also.
I have to add that the shared bathroom is not a plus. It was my fault to not have checked on this.
Haven't done this since camp in high school.
Sandy gets a lot of good reviews and if you can live with the above by all means stay here. For us one and done is it for us.
(she could hire a cleaning person, It would be that simple)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank barongruda
Sandy M, Owner at Cherokee Rose Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
I am so sorry that this reviewer had a bad experience! I am donating the entire proceeds from their stay to an animal charity, so that their money will serve a good purpose in the end. And all the dust bunnies will be corralled and moved off the premises!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I spent 5 nights at the Cherokee Rose Inn and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere but the Cherokee Rose Inn when I'm in Portland for leisure. From the instant I got there, it felt like home. It seemed to be a world away from downtown Portland, but it was just 2 miles away. I hesitate to rave about it because it feels like a secret treasure.

The Inn is in a residential neighborhood a few blocks from the Belmont and Hawthorne strips of shopping and restaurants. It is also a 15-20 minute walk to this little corner of stores that folks call the vegan mini-mall (I think that's a misnomer - it's not a mini-mall, and it's just 4 or 5 shops, but it's still great). Most things are walkable, but the owner provides day passes if you want to use public transit. She even gave us space to park our bikes when we rented them.

We were the only guests the first night we were there, and there were snacks waiting for us when we got there. I asked Sandy if she could accommodate a gluten free vegan like myself, and she said it was no problem. All our snacks and breakfasts were gluten free, vegan and delicious. Oh, and she left us some vegan, gluten free truffles in our room! It was such a nice treat.

There were other guests for the rest of our stay, and the walls are very thin. While there are quiet hours from 10pm to 6 or 7am, they are not silent hours. You should know that if you are a light sleeper. You may want to bring ear plugs.

The owner also has a dog and a cat, which only added to my love for this place. Bill the cat is a big fluffy kitty who likes to be pet and Hammy is a funny little dog who likes to play. I wish I could have put them in my suitcase when I left.

The Cherokee Rose Inn was the perfect place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Valerie N
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Such a great place to stay! I've never stayed at a B&B before and wasn't originally planning to for my trip, but this little gem popped up on HappyCow and my boyfriend and I decided to try something new and let me tell you...It did not disappoint. The location is just on the other side of the river from downtown and conveniently located within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and boutiques. For the vegans out there, it is minutes away from the vegan strip mall and a great vegan bar called The Sweet Hereafter. Sandy is beyond sweet and she goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is comfortable and unobtrusive (although, ironically, I wished that she would be more intrusive because I love talking to people and hearing their stories. But that's just my personality). The room and the bathroom were huge and we were met with complimentary vegan truffles. The bed was so comfortable and in the morning Sandy had a delicious, vegan, southwest breakfast ready for us (I ate 3 biscuits and would've eaten more if others hadn't wanted the rest). And lastly...her lovely pets. She has the sweetest little dog that looks like the dog from the Caesar food commercials and the absolute sweetest cat named Bill who knows tricks.

I highly recommend Sandy and a stay at her B&B. Not only will I be staying there for all trips to Portland, but the stay has also convinced me to explore other B&B's on other vacations. This place is great for vegans because of the guaranteed vegan breakfast, but even if you're not vegan, it's great because the food is amazing and the stay is relaxing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SanterraH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

A great place to stay! Hostess was warm and accommodating, room was comfortable, lots of interesting books. Breakfast was tasty (and we're not even vegan). Also, she was eager to accommodate dietary restrictions. Felt like a home a way from home.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank casieowen
Everett, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I loved the Cherokee Rose Inn. I'm not really a vegan, but I enjoyed breakfast very much. The beds were more than comfortable, and Sandy is a very nice woman who keeps the whole house clean and tidy. It was nice for my mom too, who is a vegan, and had fun chatting with Sandy about...well, whatever vegans talk about. It was very nice of her to accommodate us so late, and she was very understanding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Charles L
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Portland for a few days, and were delighted to be able to stay at a B&B that caters to vegans! The location was ideal, within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shopping; and easily accessible by car or bus to downtown.
Sandy was a great host, the room was spacious and comfortable, and the breakfasts were delicious!
Will definitely be recommending this place to friends and family planning to visit Portland.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple