“Basic Hotel - Nothing Fancy”

Inn at the Convention Center
Ranked #78 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 26, 2009

If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel in downtown Portland to just spend the night, give this a try, but don't expect a four star property. Our room was plain and clean, but it had WiFi. No continental breakfast. We got a weekend rate of $55 thru hotels.com, which was cheaoer than their walk-up price.

The hotel is very close to public transportation. In fact, the light rail Max station is only a block away.

When we checked in, we were asked if we wanted the quiet side or the noisy side with the good WiFi. We chose the noisy side with the good WiFi, and got to listen to the Max trains traveling direclty under the window. But, with the window closed and the heat/ac turned on, we had no problem sleeping.

There is underground prarking as well as some parking spaces near the entrance. We'd recommend parking near the entrance, if possible, as te underground parking is accessible from the street by anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank kr51

Reviewed October 30, 2008

I booked a four night stay here in order to attend to business in town. The price was remarkably cheap (through Priceline), so I have no regrets, but I must say that the complaints about the building are somewhat valid.

The building has a stop on the light rail, which is a cheap and quick way to get to the hotel from the airport. Once you are at the building, any use of the light rail downtown is free. My wife and I extensively used this service.

The building is old, with cramped parking. There is a vacant part of the ground floor that appears to be the remnants of a now-closed restaurant, but instead, is now used as storage for mattresses.

I arrived late at night. The lobby is nice enough, and the front desk clerks were very nice and responsive. I was quite bothered at how dimly lit the hallways were. Further, I noticed the quite old and shabby carpeting in the hallways and rooms. My room was a smoking room, and was located on a very loud floor, so I returned to the front desk. They had no problems moving me to a non-smoking room on a more quiet floor. Further, because I was staying four days, they made sure I had a refrigerator.

The beds were old, but adequate. The carpeting was very, very beat up, as was the furniture. All of these things were acceptable, though, because the room was very clean.

Considering the bargain rate I received, I had no problems with this hotel. However, I would not use this for a romantic getaway. Despite its lack of aesthetics, this room was a clean, cheap place to sleep with a very convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We would definitely stay here again. Since we were in Portland on business, we just needed a place to sleep. The room was clean and the people at the front desk were helpful and very friendly. Yes, it is old, but for our purpose it was great. The transportation stop was right outside our door and we could get where ever we needed to go. It is definitely not the Ritz, but if you just need a place to sleep in a great location, it is a great deal.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Very cheap ( booked on HRS ) but not acceptable for me.
Stinky room, strange atmosphere.
Pro: location (withing fareless square Portland, MAX)
won't go again

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Cons
-old! (faded bedspread, gold trim, "patch" jobs instead of repairs were obvious)
-ugly lobby
-unfriendly desk clerk
-no pool
-no breakfast
-unsecure parking
-smelly elevator
-dangerous balcony
-Max track directly under window (vibrating/noise)
-small tv
-broken leg on table
-website photos misleading

Pros
-clean sheets, towels
-comfy pillows
-lots of channels on tv
-several chairs for sitting someplace other than the bed
-great location (a few blocks from Lloyd Center and the place our conference was held lots of food places nearby)

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I'll never stay in it again. There were several, much nicer, hotels in a 2 block area from this one.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I reserved a room for Sept. 12, 2008 for someone else. I asked (TWICE) for my card not to be charged because the party staying there would pay upon checking out. The girl confirmed. The following week the charges showed up on my card. I called and talked to someone at the hotel, and she told me the accountant would call me back after 11:00 am. They never did, so I called back. She then told me the manager had to reverse the charges, and wasn't in until 3:00 pm, and the manager would call me back. The manager never did. I called again the following morning after seeing the charges had not been reversed, and talked to a girl who was able to reverse the charges for me. With the exception of the girl I spoke with the second day, I was extremely dissatisfied with the hotel staff. I wouldn't recommend staying here. It's not a good hotel to begin with, and the staff doesn't make up for the less than desirable accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2008

This place had a two star rating at priceline. Should be a one star at best, or even a no star. The place is a filthy mess. Pay a little more and stay somewhere else. The staff is friendly and the sheets were clean.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple