“Don't Bother”

Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Kentfield, California
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It was late and we booked this place through hotwire. Upon arriving the front desk staff was not friendly at all and after getting off the elevator and seeing the stains on the carpet in the hallway and how hot the hallway was and the smell the red flags started going up. After we opened our door to the room and finding know difference we turned around and walked out and called hotwire and told us of our experience and they credited our card. DO NOT GO HERE unless you don't mind a dirty hotel with a very bad smell.

Room Tip: We walked out so I can't give you a good tip other than the fact of picking someplace else to st...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Based on my research of Tripadvisor Reviews, I'm now the second customer to complain of having additional charges placed on my credit card while staying at the Inn at the Convention Center in Portland. If you scroll through the reviews, you will find a similar complaint in 2010. They claim their money ($130 additional charge) was never refunded to their credit card. I've made several calls to this hotel to speak with the hotel manager about the additional charges made to my credit card and how they were going to refund the unsubstantiated charges. I was only successful in reaching the manager once. All other times, during regular business hours, the hotel staff told me that either the manager "could not come to the phone," or was "out of the office," and inquired why I wanted to speak with the manager. When I explained the nature of overcharges, the hotel staff member on the phone said they would take care of the refund. During my last call to the hotel, I was then told that I would have to work the refund issue with my credit card company. The hotel explained that the first additional charge "should have never gone through because it was a $20 deposit for 'incidentals'." The hotel failed to explain why I was charged an additional $45 + the $20 deposit, which I found on my credit card a day after checking out. Keep in mind that I booked this reservation on Hotwire and I've already been charged $88 by Hotwire for the one night stay. So, when adding up the $88 for the one night, plus the unsubstantiated extra charges of $20 and $45, I ended up paying $153 for an $88/night room. If anyone considers staying at this hotel, or booking them through Hotwire, PLEASE RECONSIDER, unless you want to risk having additional charges applied to your credit card, like me and another customer have experienced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Guy G

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights while visiting my daughter. Its a fairly old hotel, and looks it, but the room was clean. I had a few maintenance issues, light bulbs being out and remote not working correctly, but the front desk was very nice and handled everything immediately while I was out. I did stay on the quiet side facing south. No restaurant, no fridge, but a coffee maker in the room. Convenient location. Starbucks and Delightful Donuts down the street. Denny's 2 blocks away. I was hoping for a slightly cheaper hotel, but the price was average for the area. There is free parking. They do accept pets.

Room Tip: Ask for the south side, away from the the train.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chr1sMar1e
Victoria
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel before reading the reviews so was a bit scared to see what I would find when I arrived! No its not all modern and luxurious but for what I paid, I knew that. It was clean and comfortable, the front desk staff were happy and very helpful as were the women cleaning on my floor. With the MAX stop right across the street, you really couldn't ask for a better location. So if you are looking for luxury, no this is not for you but if you are looking for clean and comfortable in a good location, then its fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank talulla45
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Four of us stayed here for a conference in late June. The staff were great, the beds were very comfortable. We stayed on the side that does not face the Max, having read about the noise. Saying that, we ran the AC all night, and slept great. Yes, the rugs were a bit old, and the ceilings have had work done. We felt safe, had enough room, and had no trouble getting extra towels and pillows from the front desk. Yes, it isn't the Hilton but for what it cost, we were very pleased.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the Train
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lauraine W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here at a hotwire price and the room was what we needed, a place to sleep. The proximity to the train to downtown was a blessing and a curse. The stop was only a block away, but we could hear the train running from our room. Good thing I'm a heavy sleeper.

Housekeeping was mixed. When we were in the lobby waiting to ask a question, the Manager at the time was speaking rather rude and condescending to the housekeeper he was talking to. if you have give your staff negative comments it shouldn't be done in front of guests. When I brought this up to the higher manager later, he was surprised that this "irked" me.

After I made my booking I had to add an extra day as I was staying in Portland while my friend and her daughter were going to Roseburg to pick up Grandma. As it was an additional day at the regular price I guess there was some confusion. According to the desk clerk he told the housekeeping staff to just clean the room and leave my belongings alone but when I got back to the room that night all my stuff had been removed. I was able to get it back save for the three muffins and what was left of a Voodoo doughnut, but still quite an annoyance.

Unsure if I will stay here again. Depends on the price I can get I guess.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Spokane, WA. USA
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Found the rooms to be unclean with ominous stains on rug and upholstery. Cigarette burns in blankets, rug and bedspread. Dreary hallways and a vaguely unsafe feel about the place. It is fairly inexpensive and close to public transit. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013