“What a dump!”

Ranked #71 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“What a dump!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stay somewhere else! This place literally stinks. At one point it was a smoking hotel that they've converted into "completely non-smoking" which means that the rooms smell like stale old smoke. You can't control the temperature in your room so it's stale and hot. They "provide" fans which is useless because now you are just circulating stale, old hot air around the room. My bathroom has a toenail in it. It's dirty, old and stinky and hot and the wireless internet doesn't work. They're marketing themselves as a 3 star hotel, but at best it's a 2 star motel. It's a dump, dump, dump.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jen W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 10, 2012

For $65/night, we got what we paid for which was a place to sleep and shower.
Despite the entire hotel smelling like weed, and being able to hear the neighbors next to us open/shut their blinds (among hearing other things), the hotel had a bed, cable, free internet, and extra towels. The elevator makes suspect noises (like it might be breaking), but got us to the 4th floor and back down safe every time. When we got to our room and discovered two double beds instead of a King, the front desk person graciously took care of that and put us in a different room. It is conveniently located right next to the MAX Light Rail system in the Rose Quarter in Portland, which means you may want ear plugs. I was not prepared for the roaring rush of the tram outside the window (literally) every 15 minutes. My solution for the noise problem was to turn on the fan in your room to drown out the noise! I'm a light sleeper when I'm not in my own bed/home, so I found it hard to sleep considering the amount of noise. My friend who was with me slept very well.
Pros: location is close to Downtown/Old Town, staff was extremely accommodating, free parking, free Wi-Fi internet, cable TV, COMFY bed
Cons: not a luxury hotel, ratty looking, slightly sketchy vibe, and the actual rooms look nothing like the pictures listed on Expedia.com, so just be aware of this!
Overall, it was great considering the money we wanted to spend and the fact that we really just needed a place to sleep and clean up!

Room Tip: Rooms on WEST side will be quieter Turn on FAN in room to drown out noise of street traffic Bring...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank J-Auve
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here in June for one night. This motel is located close to downtown and public transport is very close.

The rooms were okay, but not the best. Overall the price was good and think this place is fine for just a night.

The room had a funky smell.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Oregon, United States
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Initially I noticed the parking situation. The layout of the lot is odd to say the least, the building itself looked dingy. Upon walking into the lobby I immediately noticed the prostitute sitting on the couch receiving multiple text alerts. While checking in some homeless guy came in to have a private conversation with the clerk. I went into the elevator to find a dark heavily air-freshened, filthy and old old old elevator which took us to the second floor.

When the doors opened the scent of stale cigarette smoke was palpable and the hallways were poorly lit, possibly to misdirect your attention from how utterly disgusting and stained the carpets all through the hallway were. There are broken ceiling tiles in several places as well. Upon opening the room I believe I discovered where a lot of the stale smoke was coming from (odd since they made me sign a no smoking waiver) and the room was poorly lit as well, all the light switches were hard to find. The carpet in this room was just as stained and gross as in the hallway. The bed looked as if maybe the comforter might have been washed recently, but I really didn't want to touch anything in this room to see if the sheets were okay or not. Some odd looking nasty chair was tucked into the corner by a sink that seemed to have no business jutting out into the room the way it did. The bench at the foot of the bed was heavily stained and really had me questioning why this Inn wasn't charging by the hour. The bathroom was old and poorly maintained as well, but it was the cleanest room in the hotel as far as I could tell. Probably the only place I would have slept if I had decided to stay. They used some sort of super industrial cleaning agent in here, the smell drowned out the stale cigarette scent from the other room and may have given me a headache had I stayed much longer.

I could not stay here. I checked out immediately the location is okay but location isn’t everything spend the extra money and stay anywhere else but here. There are plenty of other places in the immediate vicinity.

Room Tip: The whole building smells like cigarettes
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason R
Colorado
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel room cost $99 per night. Our flight was delayed a few hours, so I called the hotel and let them know we'd be in at 1am. When we got there, the guy at the desk told us they didn't have any room and rooms were given out on a first come first serve basis. He went in the back and pretended to call other places to find availability for us, then emerged and said they had a room available but the carpets had just been cleaned because someone smoked in a non-smoking room. 20 minutes later after he goes to the room to do something, he gives us keys are we enter the most disgusting, never updated room I've ever seen. The hallways of this place were gross, and the room was even worse. Two queen beds but one didn't have sheets on it, and my husband refused to shower because it was so gross.

Next morning, the maid comes into the room because she doesn't know they rented it. She tells me they cleaned the carpets because dogs peed on it. Worst hotel ever!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hoff0079
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Central location, FREE parking (there is a lot on sight), cheap pricing, and easy access to public transportation and highways are the advantages of staying at Inn at the Convention Center.

Keeping in mind the price-point of this hotel, it is actually a great value, as long as you're not expecting a 5-star, luxury hotel. I'd rate this a generous 3 star. It does need major restyling and overdue redecoration, but overall, it is a suitable place to crash for the night.

My stay started with a friendly and helpful front desk clerk, who answered all my questions and encouraged me to contact him if I had any more concerns it questions . Opening the door to my double queen bed room, it was exactly as I expected- a clean, basic room, but with a surprisingly pretty view of the Portland night sky upon opening the curtains!

Cable TV, wifi, a coffee-maker, iron/ironing board, toiletries, and clean towels and sheets made my stay comfy. The shower has good water pressure. As far as noise, it's not the quietest hotel, perhaps the walls are thin, or maybe there were just lots of families there during my stay.... Although it's right by the light rail MAX, I slept fine, and didn't bother me too much. There is no breakfast here, but there is J's Cafe across the street.

It's also very close and walkable to several bus lines, the Convention Center, Starbucks, Burgerville (a Northwest local fast food chain, that has sustainable practices, uses local and organic ingredients), a charming residential neighborhood with shops, cafes, and restaurants (NE Broadway St), a pharmacy, grocery store, and a mall, Lloyd Center. Getting to Downtown is extremely easy by taking the MAX. Getting to and from the airport is a cinch- just take the red MAX line, get off at Convention Center stop!

Stay here if you're just looking for a comfy bed in a central location, while you're either at a convention or touring the city during the day. Expect basic, clean rooms and some light rail noise at night.

• Stayed August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were looking for a cheap room for 3 nights so that we could explore the city by day and it did the job. There was cable, air conditioning, and free (although a little slow) Wi-Fi. Free parking too. Rooms were cleaned each day while we were gone - no problems at all.

Location was great as well, only a couple of stops via the free tram to downtown and a short drive from the Alberta Arts District to the North. Could hear the trains a little once in a while as someone else mentioned, but it wasn't too bad - we were facing South though and the trains run along the East side of the building, so it may be worse over there.

Overall, if you're looking for a clean bed for the night then this place offers decent bang for your buck. Sure, it's a little ghetto, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, South facing seemed to be okay for us.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple