“Fair price nice people”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My girlfriend had told me about this place and we decided to try it. I had the brisket with an addition of pulled pork. My girlfriend had the spare ribs. Mac and Cheese was great, baked beans great. All was very good as was the service, only complaint could be that a can of beer (good Hopvalley Beer from Eugene) was 5 dollars. Much better then its corporate backed Southland on NW 23rd.

There are newer reviews for Smokehouse 21

Reviewed August 18, 2013

In July the Oregonian did an article on Portland BBQ and ranked Smokehouse 21 one of the top 10 "non-chain" restaurants in Portland, so we had to give it a try. Having lived in states like Tennessee, where BBQ is a way of life, we know what good BBQ should taste like and this was very good. I had the 3 meat platter with brisket pulled pork and sausage, my wife had the pulled pork platter. Entrees' and sides were ample in size. The brisket was VERY tender and flavorful. The sausage was hot and spicy (a little too for my palate, but good) and the pulled pork was lean and tasty. The baked beans were loaded with puled pork, the mac & cheese very good, coleslaw was tasty, and the potato salad was my least favorite. Service was good. I would go back.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stumbled into this tiny little BBQ joint a few months ago and it was delicious. I had the Macaroni and Cheese and the Brisket and I was not disappointed. The atmosphere is great as was the service. I will be back!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We go there first thing in the morning (11:30am) and there was no wait. It also might have helped we were there on a weekday. I enjoyed everything on the menu! We started with the deviled eggs and pork and beans and a corn muffin. I really like the pork and beans, good smokey flavor, beans weren't mushy and it had a nice mouth feel. We then moved on to the combo plates. You can select up to 3 different meats with 2 sides. The three of us were able to sample all the meats and most of the sides with 2 combo plates. From not good to yummy... The hot link was greasy and icky, the pulled pork was weak, perhaps it would have been better in a sandwich with sauce but standing alone, it was a fail. Smoked Steelhead was a surprise and quite good. I would eat that again. Smoked chicken, I think it is one of the hardest things to get right but they did! The white meat was tender and juicy; the dark meat was perfectly cooked. I would have liked the skin to be crispy but that was the only fault I could find.

Best dish was a toss up between the ribs and the brisket. I looooved the brisket with the vinegar sauce. Sauces were served on the side but as I am a purist I wanted to try everything without enhancement. The sides were all delicious. Fingerling potato salad, collared greens and my favorite mac and cheese.

Please know this is a very small place and can get overwhelmed. I would recommend it and would go back again. Everything we ate came to a very reasonable $46.00.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our order took a very long time. I finished my beer and the bottle of water they bring you. After about 10 minutes of waiting we finally asked for more water to a wateriest cleaning a table across from us. She brought the bottle of water from that table over to ours, it was half way drunk already...

The wife ordered a salad, it was okay but when we finished it the plate was never picked up (not a big deal but their tables are small so a salad plate takes up some space).

The meats finally arrived after 30 minutes or so.

Meets-
•Pulled pork had a good taste and was very well cooked but was too salty.
•Ribs where flavorless, a little on the salty side.
•Beef Brisket was really good, one of the best I have had.

Sides-
•Potato Salad: Good but the chunks of dried meat killed it.
•Mac & Cheese: It was mediocre, the corn bread on top of it was really good thought but the chunks of dried meat killed it once again.
•BBQ Beans: Butch baked beans from a can are much better.

Over all not worth the tab but again that's probably why they only have 4 other reviews. The meats are good but they over kill it trying to hard to come up with a distinct or different style of BBQ.

Been to Smokehouse 21? Share your experiences!