“Best Thai in North Portland”

Mee Dee Thai Cusine
Ranked #1,649 of 4,320 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Portland, Oregon
“Best Thai in North Portland”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Thai food is our usual #1 choice, and this is the best Thai restaurant in North Portland (and yes, there are not a lot, but I think we've tried most of the others). Each time we've been the place has been nearly empty. I can't figure out how they stay in business if that's typical, though they had several carry-out orders each time we were there. The food is tasty and obviously from fresh ingredients so it can't be the food. Once we got a dish that was hotter that we could eat, but we hadn't asked, so our bad.
This restaurant was apparently one of former Typhoon! locations. Typhoon! went under in late 2011 amid charges of tax evasion, labor law violations and other skullduggery. Someone opened this location under the Mee Dee name and we've enjoyed it.

• Visited September 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Good Thai Food”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I really like Thai food, so I usually leave happy from a Thai restaurant, and Tsunami Thai was no exception. It didn't blow me away or anything, but it was good.

Visited May 2012
Fontana, California
“A decent Thai restaurant on N. Killingsworth”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We weren't looking for this restaurant when we were cruising down N. Killingsworth, we just knew we were starving and didn't feel like eating what the Lucky Lab had to offer down the street after we had enjoyed a lazy Sunday afternoon there drinking micros and playing darts.

The restaurant was in a newish, modern building on a corner, shared by a sushi place that was closed on Sundays. Decided to take a chance and see if they would fit the bill. We walked in and were promptly greeted/seated. Handwritten signs indicated they temporarily weren't serving alcoholic beverages for some reason, but since we had already had drinks, that wasn't important to us that evening.

The restaurant was pleasant with linen-draped tables covered with glass tops and lots of windows to look out on the busy street. There were a couple of occupied tables when we walked in, but not much business overall considering it was the dinner hour.

Menu had the usual Thai choices, and we opted to start with spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce because we needed something STAT! As assured by the server, they were very quick and two large, freshly prepared Spring Roll cut in half appeared in no time at all. We finished ordering our meal now that we had enough sustanance to speak and chose Pad Thai with chicken and Gang Pa Nang curry with chicken - our two uninspired go-to staples when we eat Thai.

Compared to our neighborhood Thai places (Arawan, Thai Orchid), the food was good, but nothing special. It was quick, fresh and hot and at a decent price. My Pad Thai was a large portion (hot and spicey the way I ordered it), so it ended up being lunch the next day, too. Hubby said the Gang Pa Nang curry was okay, but "not as good as Arawan", yet he still polished it off!

The only odd thing was we were never offered a beverage, although we were seated with water and menus. After the food was delivered, the server never returned to our table. Luckily, we didn't need anything else, but I would have ordered hot tea if asked...

I'm sure I'm a little jaded as I eat Thai a lot. I wouldn't seek out this restaurant again, but if you find yourself in the neighborhood on a Sunday evening, it's not a bad choice for decent, fresh food at a fair price served in a pleasant atmosphere.

• Visited February 2012
“Good food, nice presentation, large...”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Good food, nice presentation, large portions, nice friendly staff. Sadly not as consistent as it could be. Good neighborhood thai food