“Portland is the newItaly”
Review of Luce

Luce
Ranked #354 of 4,400 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This restaurant was truly a reminder of Italy and its family dinners. We ordered a few appetizers to share. Everyone oohed and aahed at how tasty the all were. All meals were super delicious. I had pesto ravioli with tomatoes in olive oil. It was by far the best I'd ever tasted. This will be our #1 Italian restaurant every time we visit Portland.

1  Thank waboucher

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This snug little restaurant/shop is a beautiful find for those looking for excellently crafted Italian food. I do not have enough knowledge to know if these recipes are related to any particular region of Italy, but in any case every dish seemed to be thought out and fit perfectly into the overall menu. The antipasto are small, but at about $2 apiece, you can easily experience amazing and unique flavors without spending too much or filling up to much before the main course. The pasta dishes are largely made with housemade pasta and can be half or full dishes, which is great if you want to better control the size of your courses. The feeling that you were enjoying this food in an Italian kitchen further rounded out the wonderful dinner and sealed the deal that we will be back for more.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

A few years ago a well known national food magazine rated this place as one of the best new restaurants in the US. This must have caught the local food critics off guard, as we had never heard of Luce. Shortly thereafter several foodie friends from around the US and I visited for lunch. It was everything the magazine had reported and then some! Most of our group had visited Italy numerous times, and we agreed that this was like eating Italian food in Italy. For our 43rd anniversary, my wife and I decided to go again. We shared a mousse/pate and spicy mussels for starters, my wife had octopus for a main, and I had the skirt steak. We've had similar dishes in Italy, and once again, we agreed that this is as authentic as it gets. The service was welcoming and informative, and for some reason we were comp'd a wonderful panna cotta. Yes, it's minimalist, very small, informal, and a bit noisy - all which make the experience very faithful to its genre.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Delicious wines, wonderful bread, fresh, tender pasta, perfect sauce ... all at an incredible price. Don't miss this gem. I highly recommend anything with the fresh walnut pesto.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Despite another review, we brought our kiddo to Luce. They didn't bat an eye at our child, which we appreciated. Kids need to eat too and we were all kids once. Our kiddo had a half order of the tagliatelle with beef and pork sauce but her eyes strayed to the adult pasta. Adult = tossed in hot peppers steeped in EVOO = has a kick. She loved it. There's no reason not to bring a child here, as half portions are perfect for kids. There's a lag time between sitting and ordering but that comes with the territory of being a popular eatery. Luce has no waiting area, but we were lucky to not have to endure a wait.