“Brought our kiddo anyways”
Review of Luce

Luce
Ranked #446 of 4,341 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Brought our kiddo anyways”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Despite another review, we brought our kiddo to Luce. They didn't bat an eye at our child, which we appreciated. Kids need to eat too and we were all kids once. Our kiddo had a half order of the tagliatelle with beef and pork sauce but her eyes strayed to the adult pasta. Adult = tossed in hot peppers steeped in EVOO = has a kick. She loved it. There's no reason not to bring a child here, as half portions are perfect for kids. There's a lag time between sitting and ordering but that comes with the territory of being a popular eatery. Luce has no waiting area, but we were lucky to not have to endure a wait.

• Visited June 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Minimalist Italian: Luce!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Simple decor, impeccably clean, warmly inviting, Luce entices you to come in with its appealing simplicity, intriguing display cases of specialty Italian cooking items, and friendly staff. Each table had a small vase of fresh flowers - one of many nice details of this cozy, intimate place (they have an adjacent large room available for events). If you know Navarre (further down Burnside on 28th), this is another restaurant by the same owners. We went for lunch, so we ate pretty light - but we were impressed, and we WILL be back!
I love Italian wines, and they had an excellent variety from which to choose. The selection of wines by the glass and bottle was impressive; the waitress was very knowledgeable, suggested pairings with our food, and offered tastings to help with our decision. Our waitress gave us amazing service that was personal and attentive without being intrusive.
They offered two luncheon specials (both incredible!!), offered at $15 without wine and $18 with paired wine - a real bargain - as well as a soup/salad/fococcia special and multiple small dishes. We settled on appetizers and a few orders of Fococcia (served with deliciously fruity flavourful olive oil) that was enormous, and the best fococcia I have eaten outside of Italy. It was light, cooked with plenty of olive oil and coarse sea salt topping. We were delighted with the potato salad (we ordered another helping!) in a light dressing of olive oil and herbs, the meatballs, the deep fried risotto croquettes, the salad (fresh and local greens), and the sausage plate.
We'll be back to try supper - and I suggest you should, too!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Barbara S
California
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Just ate here with my daughter and husband (who owns his own restaurants in Palo Alto). Small and intimate. Lovely servers and a great little menu. Everything executed to perfection. We will be back!

Visited April 2014
phoenix, AZ
“I shouldn't write this up, and I should keep it as my special secret restaurant!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were going to another restaurant on Burnside and there was a waiting line to get in and we happened to walk by Luce on our way to the other restaurant and I remarked to my hubby how chic and warm and ....just a cool little neighborhood restaurant. So we left the first place and went to Luce. What a great surprise. By 7, it was packed ( I think it seats only 40). We had so many choices that we both liked. They offer 1/2 order or full orders. We tried quite a few. Octopus salad with olives and potatoes was fabulous. We ordered 1/2, but ordered an additional 1/2! I had a kale and bean soup that was perfect for a wet, cold nite. I had the trout(outstanding, stuffed, crisp on outside) and even tho I'm not a trout fancier, I am still drooling for it again! My husband had a crab and pasta entree, also perfectly cooked and the final was chard with parmesan on top. This dish could make you a believer in veggies! We are from Ariz but look forward to our return in 6 weeks! This is not a fancy, get dressed up place. It's very pleasantly done in black and white and comfy!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank jtimbo
Portland, Oregon
“Nice little Italian place”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This tiny store front restaurant serves a lovely plate of pasta and more. We enjoyed a very nice dinner last night and I would both go back and recommend Luce to others. We had a delicate carrot and ricotta ravioli, hanger steak and roasted chicken. My only "issue" (if you can even call it that), is the chicken was on the bone and I find it so clumsy to eat with knife and fork. Other than that, it was super tasty and nicely presented.
We had the panna cotta for dessert and it was divine, as well as the olive oil cake which was delicious!
Prices are very reasonable.
Go! Enjoy!