“Quaint boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Lucia

Hotel Lucia
Ranked #16 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I loved the hotel. Was very upscale, concierge was great. Rooms are quite small as well as the bathrooms, but service was great, and amenities were also great. I recommend booking the eat, play and stay special which included valet parking and $30 a person food credit. It turned out to be much cheaper than paying separately. We used the food credit in the Imperial Restaurant next door for Dinner and Breakfast. Although the rooms are small, the location in downtown makes up for the size.

The only negative was when we checked out at 4:00 am. The food credits were not properly credited on the bill, and the gentleman at the front desk was pretty flustered, although he tied his best and finally got it corrected, so I strongly suggest you check your bill. Also, be aware that these small boutique hotels charge a daily fee for incidentals on your credit card, and will show up as pending charges on your credit card, until the bill is settled In a day or two,. I was not aware of this, however, he could not explain it either. I spoke to the manager next day who explained the process and that I would see the proper amount on my credit card, however, I have not seen it yet, as the weekend is not over.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
chris b, General Manager at Hotel Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you very much for the excellent review. So happy to hear that our Concierge Service was great and that our staff did such a great job of answering your questions. Sounds like we could have been a bit more organized with the billing, although I am happy that we eventually got it right. We will work harder to make this a seamless process in the future.

Rest assured, we don't actually charge your card until you have had a chance to review the charges in their entirety. The authorization that we secure is a standard process with all hotels, not exclusive to the Lucia by any means. Sorry if this wasn't adequately explained to you.

Again, thank you for the business as well as the great review. All in all, it sounds like a satisfying experience and one we hope you will consider repeating should you ever find yourselves back in Portland.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

The week I was in Portland was apparently a popular week to be in Portland, as all of the hotels were full. I adore staying with Kimpton here, but could not get in, so it was back to a hotel I had enjoyed a decade ago. I have even recommended this hotel to family members after that stay. I remembered my room at the Lucia as a nice large King bed in a well-appointed room (luxurious bedding, with comforter from Pacific Coast), with floor space for yoga and a lovely view of the ornate façade next door. Upon my return to this hotel, I now understand the lackluster response I received from family members who took me up on the recommendation. The location is still great, close to many lovely restaurants, walking distance to the river, markets, and Convention Center.

I must be in the tiniest room in the hotel. From the floor plan pasted on the back of the door, however, it appears that there are comparable others. It is as if I were in a room in NYC. In fact, I think I have stayed in larger rooms there! No floor space for a yogafied human body in this room. To be fair, the furniture does more with the limited space than many hotels would have. The corners of the bed frame do not bite you. The window and curtains are recessed. The modular furniture is sleek. I adore that the window cracks open and having looked up from the street note that many patrons in “my” room on other floors are enjoying the same luxury. Tea is Steven Smith (herbal or black); coffee is Portland Roasting. You get real creamers, hazelnut or plain.

The Front Desk Staff was extremely variable, from very personable to rather perfunctory. I never wanted to "bother" them with anything, so I likely did not put my foot down hard enough on the cleanliness issue. I just kept thinking it was going to get resolved, considering the caliber of the hotel. I checked in on Saturday. After an 8 hour trip I luxuriated in the porcelain tub with bubbles. Lovely. However, now the unfortunate housekeeping started to kick in.

Sunday morning’s housekeeping did not clean the scum the bubbles and airport muck left. I reassure myself at this point that it is ok, maybe they missed it. You can take a bath again tomorrow.

Monday’s Housekeeping neither 1. Cleaned the obvious soap scum ring out of the tub, nor 2. Refreshed the amenities (half used shampoo and conditioner and used up lotion and bath wash). So, I used the rest of toiletries Monday night in a shower because honestly, who wants to bathe in the two day old soap scum ring with airport filth in it? At home I would wash this, but this is not my home. Come on guys. Incidentally, products are Lather and lovely. So, Monday morning I had decided to help housekeeping out and I leave my towel in the bathtub so that when it was retrieved there would be no way to miss the soap scum.

Tuesday’s housekeeping: when I returned Tuesday evening, I was again disappointed. Though I had thrown away the empties and the trash had been emptied, the toiletries were again NOT refreshed. WHAT? Worse than that: though the towel was gone, the soap scum filth remained!!! The bath had not been cleaned since I checked in 4 days prior!!! See attached picture of soap/dirt scum. So, Tuesday evening I called the Front Desk and asked for two things: tomorrow please refresh my toiletries and CLEAN the tub! They said sure thing.

Wednesday housekeeping: Of course same thing on Wednesday night, but by now I am really tired of being on a trip and not able to use my tub. Wednesday evening I went the front desk and complained to a really helpful woman, who told me she would take it up with housekeeping and offered me a bottle of wine. I do not want wine. I did not take the wine. I just want to take a bath! You are not changing my sheets or my towels or my mini-bar or anything much at all. Just please clean the bath.

So, tonight is Thursday and I am checking out tomorrow instead of my original plan of Saturday, mostly because the oasis that this hotel was supposed to be was nonexistent. This evening the tub was literally half cleaned. There are brown drips (photo attached) on one part and the side out of the direct light still has scrunch all over it. The next person will likely enjoy my airline filth from LAST week! This is UNACCEPTABLE. Especially considering I hinted at it coyly once (towel in tub) and asked the hotel directly twice to solve the problem. Really gross.

Honestly, I cannot recommend this hotel. Maybe if you only take showers it will be perfectly fine for you, but their inability to fix the problem may be indicative of other deficiencies. This is not where I will be staying again in Portland. Honestly, a clean bath tub is so little to ask. Maybe at a chain, but at a boutique with "lavish" as a chosen descriptor??? I could even call the tiny room cozy if everything else was actually "lavish".

Oh, ear plugs provided are necessary. Otherwise sleep quality rating would be lower! Also, if you wear makeup or need to use a mirror for any close purpose, you may want your own light. Bathroom mirror is far away due to toilet and sink being in the way and there being no space to get close. There is a nice full length in the room itself on the back of the bathroom door, but no light for this mirror. Ample closet space and a dozen hangers were both nice touches. You have a tiny safe in the closet too. You also have a mini-fridge and the front desk fellow did "allow" me to take their things out and put my things in since I was going to be here for a week.

Room Tip: If you like views, ask to stay overlooking the bank.
2  Thank zuuel

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback regarding your recent visit to the Hotel Lucia. The cleanliness issues you mention are inexcusable and you have my sincere apologies. By virtue of our excellent Cleanliness scores as noted by other Trip Advisor reviewers, I don't believe your experience is indicative of other deficiencies although I will admit, we fell far short of meeting even the most reasonable expectations. Again, my sincere apologies.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I were taking our first vacation together and wanted to stay somewhere special. After an exhaustive online search, we chose the Hotel Lucia for its hip, yet elegant vibe and great location. We arrived several hours before check-in and the front desk staff graciously offered us the option of taking an available room. We opted to wait until later for a room on a higher floor, and we weren't disappointed. Our room was clean & spacious. The décor was modern, which we loved, and the little extras, like a docking station clock/radio and lamps with USB outlets, were both stylish and functional. The Lather bathroom amenities (like the lavender lime moisturizer) smelled wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially the valet staff (Tyson, in particular). The hotel's collection of black & white photos by David Hume Kennerly is really engaging- I especially loved the light-hearted ones like a young Diane Sawyer sticking her tongue out at the camera. We didn't rent a car, as we were only in town for 4 nights, and there are great restaurants, bars, and attractions all within walking distance or easily accessible by Portland's awesome mass transit system (Trimet, MAX, Streetcar). We can't wait to return to Portland and the Hotel Lucia.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

So happy to hear that your special occasion trip to Portland went so well. Was pleased to know that our staff was able to get you into a clean, spacious and modernly appointed room. Great news.

Thanks again, and please consider us the next time you visit Portland.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Excellent service, clean, comfortable, stylish rooms. We ended up getting upgraded to a corner room, which was a nice size. The hotel has a great location, just a few minutes walk to the Pearl District, and numerous dining and shopping options. The staff were friendly and helpful, and provided excellent recommendations for dinner. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

So happy to hear that you recieved excellent service and that your room was clean and comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. Both your review and business are truly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We flew into Portland and were able to take the MAX public transportation ($2.50) within 2 short blocks of this conveniently located downtown hotel. The check in staff were friendly and offered us a choice of rooms to choose from to meet our sleeping needs. The room was clean, modern and quiet. We loved it. we were able to walk everywhere during our stay. Gourmet restaurants are very close to the hotel. The Little Bird French Restaurant is two short blocks away. We ate there twice because it was so charming and the food was amazing. We have stayed at Hotel Lucia twice and have enjoyed it both times.

Room Tip: We chose a court side room because they are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your repeat business and for the great review. We truly appreciate your business and your loyalty. Keep us in mind the next time you visit Portland.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Attended a conference as a speaker and this was the hotel the organizers put us in. Overall a nice, modern hotel, with spacious room. Too bad the bathroom is teeny. Ordered room service, and food was delish. The staff was also nice except for this lady at the front desk that looked like she could use a little "joy" - a little standoffish. It always amazes me that a boutique hotel can hire snooty peeps. But since everyone else was friendly, I would consider returning to this hotel for our next visit.

No free wifi.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
HotelGM529, General Manager at Hotel Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed the Room Service food brought to you by the restaurant, Imperial. Yes, please consider the Lucia again the next time you are visiting Portland.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this boutique hotel. I like smaller more intimate establishments. The personal touch is more accentuated and the hotels tend to have more sophisticated personnel. When I asked the front desk for Yoga studios that are walking distance from the hotel, I was given a well informed choices of a few studios. In bigger hotels that is just not happening.

The rooms are great. Like the idea of having original photography in my room and the hallways. It felt like I was in my hometown in NYC.

Next time you to go Portland, stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you were made to feel at home. Please consider staying with us again the next time you visit Portland. We would be honored to have you back with us again.