“Lively, Loud, and Fun”

Ranked #69 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Abingdon, Virginia
“Lively, Loud, and Fun”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked a room at this guest house because it was the cheapest accommodation I could find in Portland that still seemed hospitable. I got much more than I bargained for! The building is full of charm and character, and it's really easy to get to many key Portland locations. There is live music coming up through your floorboards until about 2am, but that just adds to the experience. The bathrooms are shared and the rooms are small, but for a solo traveller keen on adventure it was perfect. The accommodations are clean and comfortable, and every room has its own "theme." The staff is friendly and the food and drinks downstairs are solid.

I don't recommend this place to families or people who like to get to bed early, but I would absolutely stay here again myself.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ChelseaMP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I came down from Vancouver for a last minute get away trip and thought we would be able to find a place to stay anywhere. Needless to say, there was nothing available other than flophouses due to a massive parade and 2 battleships in port. After staying one night at a Courtyard Marriott, we tried to find something with a bit more personality since Portland is known for it, and came across the McMenamins hotels. After a shot in the dark and a "why the hell not" mentality we booked the last private room available.

For a cost of $65 we got a perfect little room, it was clean, overlooked the patio, with a nice large window with a little sink in the corner, old boarding room style, AND it includes free cover to the shows downstairs. Although it's shared bathrooms, they are in their own individual rooms (same as the showers), and it was never an issue for us to get up and walk the 20 feet from the room to the bathroom. After thinking about where to eat dinner, we stumbled across the Gotham Tavern just around the corner which was fantastic! Coming back to the bar, it was a great way to wrap up a fantastic weekend, munching on warm pitas and hoummus, drinking a Rainier and watching a jumpin' band. Their patio is also amazing, it was so wonderful to have a beer and a real bonfire pit at nighttime in the city. Mississippi Ave is just up the way and whawt a jem that area is! Great breakfast joints and to enjoy a sunny day to boot.

Have to be honest, the beds are a little soft for my taste, but either way, for the cost AND the free cover, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VacationAddict2012
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My friend and I were in Portland for a concert at the Roseland. We wanted an affordable yet respectable place to stay, and we felt like we got just what we needed. We slept in a bunk room which had two bunk beds, a table, and a sink. The only inconvenience for us was that you had to walk down the hall to use the toilet or shower, which were in their own respective rooms; that didn't bother us at all. The only real bummer was that our concert ended around midnight and the bar at the hotel closed at 11, so we missed catching any more live music. To add to the appeal of the White Eagle, the Widmere Brewing Company has a pub just 1-2 minutes walk down the street. We had an easy walk across the river into downtown, an acclaimed brewery across the street, a cozy place to sleep, and plumbing. All for $45? It's a deal.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank JGuy4804
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The bar downstairs is awesome, the only problem was that it closed at 11pm on Sunday night which was the only night we stayed there. Otherwise if you don't mind walking a bit, there's a lot of cool stuff up on Mississippi which isn't too far from the hotel. Our room was a quiet spot at the end of the hallway, it had a little sink and a pretty good amount of natural light. The hotel itself was a bit spooky, creaky, I'm pretty sure our sink in the room turned on in the middle of the night, so it very well may be haunted or something. Overall I would stay there again, the area, vibe and prices are right, especially for the sort of experience I enjoy when I go to Portland. The shared bathrooms are a bit strange, the toilets are not attached to the shower rooms and there were only 2 toilets and 2 showers for our entire floor.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We spent one night in the 'White Eagle Hotel'. The room was small, without any window. The air-conditioning was very loud and didn't cool down at all, the temperature was too high and the air was too dry. I could not sleep very well because of the mentioned points, but this may have also been related to my terrible jetlag at that time. There was no bathroom included in the room, we had to use the communal bathroom, but it was clean.

The staff was very nice and how cool is it actually if the barkeeper does the check-in for the rooms? :-)
In my opinion, the music from downstairs wasn't too loud either.

The atmosphere in this hotel is very unique and it's very good valued, therefore it was worth a visit and definitely no wrong decision, but i would not recommend to stay more than one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MikeR1989
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My mom and I stayed in a bunk bed room and loved it. The rooms are small but room for what you need. It's nice that you can take drinks from the bar too. Live music everynight, so not a quiet place until midnight or so.

• Stayed March 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed October 3, 2011

It's an interesting hotel and for sure not for everyone!! If you are a light sleeper you shouldn't come here, it's true what a lot of people say, the rooms are apparently not very well sound isolated and downstairs is the bar with live music!! BUT, the hotel is cute, it feels kind of old, but they decorated the rooms very nicely and I think all are a little different! The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean!! Every room has a little sink in the room, but the washrooms and showers are outside. The washrooms and shower very clean too and the shower I used was also pretty big and colourful (with small mosaics).
The only thing about the room what I didn't liked (but may be the other rooms are a little different) was, that there wasn't a real window (just one at the roof, but u couldn't open it) and it was sooo hot in the room and I actually haven't found any air condition (I mean actually I haven't even looked for it, cause I don't like A/C).
The service was quite ok too. I could check in easy and the girl was very friendly!
The location might not be the best, but it's very close to the public transit and you are in downtown portland in around 10 minutes. And right next to the hotel is the Widmer brewery.
So it's a nice hotel and for the price it's amazing, but keep in mind it's for sure not for everyone, so before you go there, decide for yourself if you mind loud music, small rooms and washrooms down the hall!! If yes come here!! If no don't go there and write a bad review afterwards!! ;)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo