“Some... of the History of Portland”

Discover My Portland Walking Tours
Ranked #30 of 112 Tours in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome! My name is Scott. I love history and I love traveling the world to experience first hand the culture and the history of other people. I also love my hometown of Portland, Oregon. DISCOVERmyPORTLAND combines my two passions by sharing them with you on your own travels to my part of the world.Have you ever wondered how the nation’s 29th largest city came to be run by a local bartender? Or do you know about the man whose courage and "uncommon" common sense saved the City of Roses from almost certain destruction? Have you any idea the role that "architectural envy" played in the design of a Portland icon? Or how about how our own SW Broadway Street irrefutably proves that Juliet was wrong?I invite you to join me for a unique guided walking tour, which I call The Rest of the Story. Together we will follow Portland's journey from a small wilderness clearing beside the river through the rough and tumble 1800's, into the vice-ridden 20th century, and finally to the metropolitan city often voted as "One of America's Best Places to Live." Come walk with me and I will show you my Portland.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I are from England, visiting daughter and family across the Columbia river and, because we are hoping to move over to the US we wanted to know a bit more about the nearest City... Portland. Well!! Scott certainly gave us that! It was a _brilliant_ walking tour. Not too much walking, Lots of interesting information and History and all told in a wonderfully interesting - and humourous way - (sorry about the English spelling). Scott has a great delivery, and was always very clear. Some of our party of only eleven, were also ex-pats so it was good to hear their stories, some knew the city (they thought) quite well (untill Scott gave them ... the Rest of the Story...) Brilliant. It was also useful to discover the Theatrical 'scene' which we intend to use if/when we get over here. We would thoroughly recommend this tour.

1  Thank ernie n

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Scott gave a bunch of 'Brits' a great tour of the city of Portland. All of us live here now and some of us for many years but that didn't mean we knew anything about this city we love! The tour was fun, informative and revealed many facets about the buildings and streets we walk every day without realizing the wealth of history behind them. Scott had some great stories about the people of Portland too. The walk itself is easy and not strenuous starting and ending at Pioneer Courthouse Square. I would recommend this tour to both visitors and locals alike. I guarantee you will learn something you didn't know about the weird friendly small big town of Portland.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I both grew up in the area and fully enjoyed this tour. Scott was knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. He was able to make his stories come alive and, like others, we loved the binder with old photos. The tour was well worth the money and the time flew by. The walk was easy and we loved learning "story behind the story". We are so glad we chose this tour. It was a fun couple of hours.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My staff gave this to me for my birthday. I love walking and history so I was touched. Living in Portland for the last 22 years you would think I might know one or two things Scott shared with us. Wow he surprised me and kept my undivided attention for the 2 hours and all of it was new! A glorious, easy walk, some fact some fiction and a great sense of humor - what more could I ask for! Thanks Scott and loved the binder ..... plus he had me crying as he told the story of Anna and Frank. Ok I will stop before I re-tell anymore stories! I could do it again, thanks Scott.

1  Thank dorenepetersen
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have been to Portland many times. We took this tour with our friends who live in downtown Portland. Even though we thought we knew downtown Portland, Scott told us stories and facts about the city and its history. The two hours flew by -- the walking was easy -- and we will always remember some of the more interesting sides to Portland. Scott was very accommodating in booking a tour and we recommend him highly.