“Wowzer of a walk!”

Discover My Portland Walking Tours
Ranked #28 of 107 Tours in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome! My name is Scott. I love history and I love traveling the world to experience first hand the culture and the history of other people. I also love my hometown of Portland, Oregon. DISCOVERmyPORTLAND combines my two passions by sharing them with you on your own travels to my part of the world.Have you ever wondered how the nation’s 29th largest city came to be run by a local bartender? Or do you know about the man whose courage and "uncommon" common sense saved the City of Roses from almost certain destruction? Have you any idea the role that "architectural envy" played in the design of a Portland icon? Or how about how our own SW Broadway Street irrefutably proves that Juliet was wrong?I invite you to join me for a unique guided walking tour, which I call The Rest of the Story. Together we will follow Portland's journey from a small wilderness clearing beside the river through the rough and tumble 1800's, into the vice-ridden 20th century, and finally to the metropolitan city often voted as "One of America's Best Places to Live." Come walk with me and I will show you my Portland.
Austin, TX
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Wowzer of a walk!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We did the "rest of the story" walking tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Scott was extremely knowledgable, careful to point out the things you might miss or would want to know. He is a great story-teller and keeps the pace of the tour reasonable. I will definitely do more tours with him the next time I'm in town.

Nashville, Tennessee
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Fun and informative”
Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I take one or more walking tours in any city I visit that offers them. Scott's tour rates at the top of the list. He was super friendly, had great stories and seemed genuinely interested in the material he was sharing about his town. We covered Portland's origins and development history, art and architecture, social history, the influence of local politics, scandals, current events and many little-known anecdotes that made the two-hour tour go by way too fast. Scott's a great story-teller that knows and loves downtown Portland - and so will you after this tour.

1 Thank Maggers
Hillsboro, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“DiscoverPortland walking tour was great!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've lived in Oregon for ~30 yr. but that only takes me back to the early 1980's. Scott helped to fill in some of the details about Portland from before then, and added background stories to supplement what I already knew. I definitely learned some things! And Scott's delivery is naturally engaging because it's clearly a topic he loves!

Visited June 2012
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
“Great tour of downtown Portland!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Scott was very knowledgable on Portland and had lots of history to tell. It was a very enjoyable afternoon touring the downtown city of Portland. Scott also had tips for seeing additional downtown attractions. I highly recommend this tour!

Visited May 2012
Bend, Oregon
“You had us at Hello!”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a wonderful way to spend Saturday afternoon! I must confess, Portland is my hometown but I have lived out of state for many many years. Meeting Scott at Pioneer Square was a stunning start and the stories we heard while there were really great.
Seeing "my" city change and grow and then hearing the wonderfully rich details Scott gave us made the places we saw so much more meaningful.
It was delightful and entertaining and I would recommend it to everyone wanting that little bit extra in their trip planning.

Visited April 2012