“Great Pizza”

Ranked #122 of 4,363 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pearl
Description: Wood-fire Oven + Craft Cocktails in the Pearl.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Pretty small and tough to get a table, even at 5:30PM. The radicchio salad is excellent (it's in the dressing) and don't miss the salumi plate. Pizza's are excellent but the spicy salumi is incredible. Had to order 1 to go for lunch the next day.

There are newer reviews for Oven and Shaker

Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and daughter’s family including our twin grandsons went to the Oven and Shaker a while back during lunch time, checking out a national review. It is an interesting place, and is well laid out and decorated. It features a wood oven for pocket bread (puccias) and pizza, and an artisan bar (hence “shaker”). However, we were only interested in the pizza.
The seating was a little awkward to us. The tables were bolted down and could only be joined with inserts between them. Our only complaint was the operation was not very child-friendly. They had no booster or high chairs and did not seem much interested accommodating children. Since we were there for the pizza, this was not a strong negative, and the pizza was fabulous. We ordered the Margherita and three custom built varieties. They were among the best Neapolitan (Neo) style pizzas I can remember, although a bit pricey. For Neo style, which I typically don’t like because they can be skimpy, O&S had ample sauce and toppings, and they were very tasty. The crust had a good amount of char and a good puffy cornicone that was crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside: the desired characteristic. However, the service was slow and spotty considering there were only two parties there at the time.
I complemented the host on his pizza and asked if O&S was VPN certified, but he did not seem to know much about it. I am no expert but I think they could probably get certification as is. Judging by the customer reviews I read, no one seemed to know about Neo style. This is a common problem. Most people compare them to their expectations of American, New York, Chicago (deep dish) etc. styles. Neo’s stand alone and should be appreciated on their own merits.
Great Neo style pizza, but don’t bring the kids.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The drinks are new, interesting and impeccably prepared...tasty too. The Kale Salad is to die for and the pizza is very good, not the best I have ever had but very good nonetheless. Service was attentive and I really liked our waiter.....kind of a cool factor! Definitely will be coming back.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a very busy restaurant and it's not surprising. Simple but delicious pizzas. No deep crust. Piled high. Thick soggy dough. These pizzas are thin crust, oven baked to perfection. Only about a dozen basics to choose from, with extra toppings offered. The room is pleasant and airy, with a modern layout. The staff are friendly and very efficient. I would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone who craved the authentic taste of Italy.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We found Oven and Shaker by surfing the web and decided that it was worth a try. It was excellent! We each had our own salad and then shared a pizza. It was just right. I loved the kale salad, it has a very strong flavor. We had the spicy salami pizza which my wife and I thought was scrumptiously good. Don't miss this place! Excellent service and excellent food.