“Good Japanese food in a fun atmosphere”
Review of Shigezo

Shigezo
Ranked #222 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Dined here with six people including two kids. Has a varied menu of Japanese food including sushi. We were able to get a tatami room. There are also the usual tables and a sushi bar. Also two bars where you can sit and eat and drink. Being Portland, there is a nice selection of local craft beer that is well matched to the cuisine. Also an extensive sake selection as well as cocktails based on Japanese liquors. Food all around was very good. The adults sampled a great number of sushi and small plates. The ahi avocado ceviche was outstanding. The kids (who are well versed in Japanese food) loved the ramen and teriyaki dishes. All around a great place for a family dinner.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I dined at Shigezo on a Saturday evening on a recent visit to Portland. The restaurant is interesting and active. I sat at the sushi bar and sampled several rolls, sashimi, and nigiri. Everything was very tasty, including the geoduck nigiri, and the beer was cold. The wait staff were very attentive. The menu is wide ranging with something for everyone who likes Japanese food. My only complaint is that I wanted to return for lunch the next day on Sunday before heading to the airport. A waitress told me the restaurant opened at 11:30am which unfortunately resulted in a wasted trip for me as they didn't actually open until much later in the day.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I figure a Japanese restaurant where everyone in the place except me, a couple of waiters, and a sushi chef are Asian, has got to be pretty good. I was right.

The place isn't much to look at, but I had a BIG (I'm talking BIG here people) bowel of the Hot and Sour Ramen. It was hot and spicy and delicious. I also had the Shigezo flight of select sake. The bill ended up being around $26.

I came back for cocktail hour, (did I ever say that I love the Northwest people and their love of cocktail hour ... which typically is around 5+ hours?) Had some hot tapas and - guess what - the Shigezo sake flight!

Great place.

Enjoy

Cheue

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We've visited Shigezo in Portland a number of times, and we are always impressed with the quality and variety of their full Japanese menu. When I say full, I mean full - ramen, robato, curries, seafood and sushi. It's just about the most complete menu I have found at a Japanese restaurant.

Every non-sushi item we have tried has been excellent. The sushi is not the best in town, but it is close to it.

The location is great, right on Portland's downtown Park Blocks within walking distance of theArlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, Newmark Theater, Portland Art Museum and many other attractions and performance venues. Service is outstanding and the atmosphere and decor is warm and welcoming. Surprisingly, we've found it to be a great place for couples, friends and family dining, equally "adult" as it is welcoming for kids.

Be sure to bang the drum twice upon entering for good luck!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We went here after going to a couple other Happy Hours. We were visiting Portland and just wanted to check out some different places and we were walking, so no concern with parking or driving.

We decided since probably weren't going to order much, we would sit at the sushi bar. We each ordered a specialty cocktail which are $2. off during Happy Hour. One was the Godzilla, which was delicious and one was the sake/champagne which was ok.

Then we ordered the HH California Roll to share which was 4 pieces. It was soo good. We thought about ordering another but decided instead to get a piece of tiramisu to take back with us to our hotel. It was more cheese than chocolate but was a good size to share.

Overall, we talked about going back the next night so for sure would return here.