“Robatayaki!”

Neighborhood: Downtown
New York
“Robatayaki!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great thing about this restaurant is you can get typical Japanese casual food like Katsu Curry and Katsudon and you can get robatayaki. I wanted to try non-sushi items as we can have good sushi in New York.
We ordered tsukune, yakitori, fat pork belly, agedashi tofu, shishito, yaki onigiri, inari (my son insisted), katsudon (again, my son's choice, but I have to say I have seen better ones many times), and mackarel from robata. They were all good, especially mackarel. It was not fishy, and grilled crispy outside and juicy inside. I was a bit afraid how much it would be, and I was surprised to find out it was only $55!

Service was superb - if only our server asked us if we wanted to have a dessert... I saw a really good looking cake on the way out.

We went there at 8pm on Sunday w/o reservation, and we were told it would be a hour wait. So we gave up and came back again on Tuesday for dinner. No waiting. If you plan to go, make a reservation or go on week night.

• Visited August 2012

Wyoming
“Forget the sushi roll and just gimme that old fashioned kushi-yaki!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We just stumbled into this place because it happened to be really close to the Heathman and had a good rating. We ended up being really pleased.

Normally when I go to a Japanese restaurant I go for the sushi and sashimi, which I love if done really well, so don’t get me wrong. But at Shigezo we started with the happy hour menu (including some pretty good cold sake), and ended up hitting the kushi-yaki and the ramen. Man! I loved those small little skewers of goodness. The Ramen was really good too (more than I could eat though). And, oh yeh, the service was stellar too.

Next time I’m getting just the kushi-yaki and a flight of their premium sake. Yum-o!

Cheué

• Visited July 2012
“Great happy hour! One of Portland's best sushi spots.”
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

A great after work happy hour spot featuring wonderful sushi. In addition to the traditional sushi choices, the fried tofu is particullary yummy and not greasy. Staff are friendly and knowledgable and the restaurant has a convenient central downtown location.

Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great value.”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Very good Japanese restaurant. I had sushi. Not the very best, as in Japan or Hawaii, but more than acceptable. Prices were reasonable too.

Visited May 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Great izakaya.”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Four of us came here on a Friday night looking for some good ramen. Me and two others have spent most of our lives living in Japan so are very picky about Japanese food. This place was great. After eating dinner, we asked if we could move into the tatami room for the full izakaya experience and while it was supposed to only be for the people who had reservations, they let us do it. We ordered some sake, ramen, and a few other appetizers. We left with full stomachs and a buzz. Came out to be around $100 but we splurged, one can easily eat here for around $10 each. Definitely will be back.

• Visited May 2012