“Wonderful until it rained”

Inn at Northrup Station
Ranked #6 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Adelaide
“Wonderful until it rained”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel was a real find at an excellent price. Friendly young staff, good off-street parking, spacious bright rooms with good kitchen facilities, good work desk, funky decor in really bright colours, free and quite generous continental breakfast including really good fresh bagels, free streetcar passes, right on the streetcar line, and close to the excellent restaurant streets of NW 21st and 23rd. We walked from here all over downtown Portland. Quite easy so no need for the streetcar really unless you are unfit and overweight. Only one black mark. Our room was on the top floor and at 5am on our last day there we woke to the dreaded drip drip drip noise. It had been raining (well it was Portland!!) and the roof had spring a leak, fortunately not over our bed but over the coffee table where we had left several books we had bought. Ruined! We put towels down everywhere and slept for another hour or so then went for an early breakfast and told the front desk. All a bit of a yawn for them. We had to press for compensation so we could go and buy the books again, and no compensation offer was made for the general inconvenience. Not good enough for an otherwise excellent hotel. Next time we will ask for a middle floor!

Room Tip: Some may find the rooms facing the steet a litle noisy, but the views were better than the rooms fac...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
northrupstation, General Manager at Inn at Northrup Station, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Well shoot, obviously that's not acceptable on a multitude of levels. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope we helped make it right. The only drip drip dripping should be coming from the coffee maker. Thank you for taking the time to write the review and even give us a few pats on the back despite the rough ending. Hope to see you again so we can make it up to you.

Denise Stanton, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This has become my home away from home when conducting business in Portland.

First off, excellent location in one of the best neighborhoods in all of Portland--Nob Hill. There are a number of outstanding restaurants and bars all within walking distance--Paley's Place, Wildwood, Serrato, and Caffe Mingo--to name a few.

Hotel rooms are very large (suites) with sofas, 2 TV's, kitchen area, and nice size bathroom. Best to get rooms on the Northrup Street side as they have wonderful, large balconies. Room rates include free parking, free breakfast, free wifi and access to a fully equipped LA Fitness within a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel for only $4.95 per day.

Besides the proximity to Nob Hill, you can also walk to the Pearl District for an even wider selection of restaurants and bars or take the trolley (or whatever they call it) that conveniently runs in front of the hotel. As an added bonus, complimentary wine and cheese on Wednesday evenings for happy hour and a very helpful front desk staff. Great place to stay for business or leisure !!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Northrup St side, facing the trolley/
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ah, so you got to enjoy one of our Wine Down Wednesdays – a very nice perk in the middle of the week. And we hear the "home away from home" sentiment quite a bit from both business and leisure travelers because each of our rooms is effectively a studio apartment. Thank you for the review and for bringing up a couple of our lesser-known benefits! We’ll see you next time.

Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I absolutely love the feel of this boutique hotel in Portland! My husband and I celebrated our anniversary there and were totally blown away by the staff, the decor and especially the bed!!!

You can tell someone really took some time and effort with the decorating of this wonderful hotel. It's not the normal beige, neutral tones you find in so many "upscale" hotels. This place gives an energetic vibe in the brightly colored rooms, lobby and halls. Heck, even the toasters in the rooms are bright and cheery - mine was lime green!

When I asked about the brand of the bed, I found out that this place went above and beyond and had their mattresses specially engineered and constructed (by a local Portland company) just for them! Fabulous results and using a local company - can't get much better than that.

I'll be sure to start planning so more overnight dates with my husband so we can enjoy this Portland gem.

I would highly recommend this incredible hotel to anyone I know!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Now you know the secret of our custom-made beds (not that we were trying to keep it under wraps or anything). Aren't they amazing? And yes, from the toasters to our coasters we're the hotel with the most-ers! That was going to be our official slogan until I realized I probably shouldn’t put my 6-year old nephew in charge of our marketing. Thank you for the review!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Went with other stellar reviews of this place and booked here. So glad I did. What can I say that other's didn't already.

It was adorbs. It was ultra cozy. It was THE best rental bed I've ever slept in. I have NO idea what they did, but I actually slept better in this bed than my own... hmmmmm. I was on the first floor tucked at the end of the hall and there was next to no outside noise issues. Inside noise, well, that was different. Yes, the walls really ARE as thin as paper, as others have noted. I could clearly hear every single syllable from the couple next door while I was anywhere near the kitchen. Might wanna avoid this place if you're a spy!
The bathroom was a typical bathroom, nothing special. However, the shower head was mounted quite high, so if you're a tall person, you don't have to hunch! Nice. My hubby often complains about the showerheads wherever we go. I DO wish hotels would put a shelf or caddy or someway to put your shower materials in with you. It's awkward.

The two tv thing with the one remote, um, annoying. I had to go and hold the remote into the kitchen to turn off the second tv that popped on whenever I turned the main TV on or off. Just weird.
The internet. OK. This one is my one real pet peeve of the review. Look, in this day and age, there's no excuse for not being able to access wireless. Tip- you have to sit at the desk way back toward the wall for it to work at all most of the time. Like one poster before me stated, what are the walls lined with, lead???

Hipster droll bored acting less than great staff. With the exception of the morning guy, yep. The maids were friendly, tho. Maybe they should swap places... also, no trouble parking. Big plus.
Will I stay here again? Sure would. The location is perfect, not just for my purposes but for all visitors who don't need an all inclusive kind of thing. If you're happy mostly taking care of yourself and just want a casual, but really cozy place to crash, this is definitely the spot for you. Aside with annoyance at the wifi issues, I loved it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank redhedgurl5
Sounds like there might have been a couple of snags but nothing that would keep you from coming back, so we very much look forward to making everything perfect the next time you're in town. In the meantime, we'll check on the wireless and see what we can do – and you'll be happy to hear we added a second remote to every room!

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our first time staying outside of the downtown area and we loved it. The hotel is located in a great area with lots of wonderful restaurants and unique shopping just blocks away. The streetcar is right out front which makes it very convenient to get to other areas of town.

The hotel itself is bright and fun. Rooms are big and well equipped. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I am giving it 5 stars, but would take off 1/2 star for one downfall. The hallways are not well insulated so it can be very loud if you have a routy guests inhouse (which we did).

I'll be returning.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Amazing what can happen when you stray from the confines of any city's downtown zone: you start to see what it's really like to live somewhere! Plus, like you said, it's super easy to get from here to just about anywhere. Thank you for the review and we hope to have you back someday.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent three nights here in September and were very pleased. It is in a neighborhood, not downtown, but on a streetcar line. There are plenty of cool little restaurants within blocks of the hotel. Like other reviews here state, the rooms are huge and include a kitchen and two flat-screen tvs. Our room also had a little balcony and we were able to get an upgrade by calling the hotel directly to book. The hotel also provides free tickets to the streetcar which is a nice perk. It really does save money. The great thing about this hotel is the little extras.

The breakfast is included and is excellent if you are not expecting scrambled eggs and bacon. There is yogurt, fresh fruit, waffles, juices, breads and coffee/tea.milk. Just my speed. On Wednesday there is a wine reception which is just ok. Better yet, grab a bottle of wine from a nearby shop and go up on the lovely rooftop deck a hang. Or get your breakfast in the morning and hang on the deck. Or just hang on the deck after a full day. I loved the deck precisely because it was not a bar or restaurant, but a cool, outdoor living room. Have I mentioned the deck?

We enjoyed the quiet neighborhood and rented bikes one day about three blocks away. Also, if you are into Keen shoes, there is the largest (and only dedicated?) store in the U.S. about a mile away. I got a couple pair I probably wouldn't have ordered online -- but I could try them on here. The staff is young and polite, but not gushing. Also, we had no noise issues, but we were not there on the weekend. The other guests seemed to be a mix of Canadians, English, Germans and Americans 30-50ish.

Overall this was a great value for the room and amenities. Would very much stay here again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly -- they can sometimes upgrade you at booking. I loved our second floor balco...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen N
Yes, maybe you mentioned the deck more often than most, but obviously you took more advantage of it than most so we figure you're in the clear. Nice tip about the Keen shoes -- and within walking distance of the hotel are the 23rd street boutiques, a great way to spend a day shopping and discovering all kinds of unique jewelry and attire. Thanks for the review!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for almost two weeks in July. Its in a different part of town, but I think a gret part of Portland. The streetcar goes right by the hotel and you can hop on and get to a lot of places. The color scheme is VERY bright and pops out - its comfy and comes with a little kitchenette and a little balcony.

Room Tip: Upstairs, facing the street has a good view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYCFoodie23
We think this is a great part of Portland too, and are glad to be one of the only hotels to dot this otherwise mostly residential/small business landscape. A two week stay practically makes you a Portland resident! We’re glad you enjoyed your extended stay and hope to have you back someday.