“Great Find”

Inn at Northrup Station
Ranked #10 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The room was large, brightly colored. Beds were very comfortable, chairs stuffed and comfortable. Location for boutique shopping and good restaurants is excellent. Staff was helpful, a continental breakfast room is cheerful. It has free off street parking. It is also on the bus line.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelnanny5
northrupstation, General Manager at Inn at Northrup Station, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

It's easy to forget just how valuable free parking is until you get hit with an $80 bill for two days; that's a nice dinner out somewhere! So thank you for pointing out our free parking among some of the hotel's other great qualities. We appreciate your review and your decision to stay with us.

Denise Stanton, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend in Portland at Inn at Northrup Station, great place to stay, reasonable and the parking is free. We like the NW 23rd area for its shopping and great restaurants. Walk to the zoo, rose and Japanese gardens. The rooms are exceptionally clean, the beds super comfortable, and the staff always friendly. In an area of quaint Victorians.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank BandBchasers

The staff is always friendly, but they're extra friendly when we get an adventurous guest like you. Thank you for spending your weekend with us and for checking out some of Portland’s most pretty places. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Finding a hotel in the city with free parking is rare enough, but finding one in an upscale neighborhood at a reasonable price is nearly unheard of. In that regard, the Inn at Northrup Station in Northwest Portland was a wonderful discovery. The Inn had all the features I wanted during my week-long stay – and much more. It was close to lively shopping and restaurants on 21st and 23rd Avenues. Along with free parking, wi-fi and a friendly staff, I had a fully-furnished suite with all the amenities of a fine home in the city, including a full kitchen with modern appliances, a private balcony overlooking Northrup Street, and a beautifully decorated living area. The retro furnishings and vivid colors were a pleasure to wake up to.

I stayed at the Inn during the Portland Rose Festival in June 2012. I found Portland to be a beautiful, pedestrian-friendly city with great biking/jogging/walking trails, not to mention the first-class TriMet public transportation system, which includes ultra-modern, quiet streetcars. I say "quiet" because the Inn at Northrup Station is on a streetcar route. My room was two floors above the streetcars and I rarely heard them passing by. Amazing! This was my first visit to Portland and the Pacific Northwest – and the Inn made my stay all the more memorable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rusticpress

Sounds like love at first sight! This is how so many stories of Portland residents start, so be careful about coming back if you aren’t looking for a long-term relationship. ;-) We're glad you enjoyed your stay and that you got to be here during a very exciting time. See you around!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed here over Christmas while visiting Portland for a few days, and we very much enjoyed our stay.

The room was more than big enough just for the two of us! The kitchenette was a great feature as we knew many restaurants in the area would be closed for the holidays. The cabinets were stocked with cooking supplies and we were able to make meals for ourselves. The room came with 2 TV's, which seemed a bit silly, but I could imagine that it might be useful if a family were staying in the room.

I couldn't believe how comfortable the bed was. I don't think I have slept so comfortably. I could have slept for days!

I was a bit underwhelmed with the continental breakfast--I thought the bagels were a bit stale and there wasn't a great selection. I don't know if this was because it was Christmas and they didn't receive fresh orders of food or what, but I was hoping for a nicer breakfast.

The hotel itself is pretty charming and unique--I loved the colors and furniture! It is very different from any of the other hotels I have stayed in, and it fit Portland's personality well.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor seemed a bit noisy with the Max running along the street right outside our...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

It's hard to match the vibrant, artistic personality of Portland but we've certainly tried our best and are happy to hear you thought we did an ok job of it! Sorry the breakfast wasn't up to par during your stay; we definitely try to keep a close eye on it and will continue to do so. Thank you for the review and we'll see you next time.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Not right downtown but on the trolley with free tickets from the Inn. Situated in NW Portland close to good food and shopping. Park you car and adventure pedestrian friendly Portland. Great staff, nutritious breakfast, spacious rooms with kitchenettes.

Room Tip: Ask for north side of building away from the traffic on Northrup.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DancingHeron

Who doesn't like lime green and orange!? Well, I suppose some people might not, but unless you also dislike purple then we definitely recommend at least giving the Inn a try. Bright colors, after all, make for bright mornings -- even if it happens to be raining that month. Thank you for the review!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've stayed here with my husband during our last two trips to Portland. We like the location because it is easy to walk to a lot of restaurants and shops, and we like the size of the units, which were originally built as bachelor suites. There is a lot of space and a full kitchen.

I understand the great reviews this place gets, but I think we will give it a pass next time we're in Portland. We like it, but we just want to try something different next time.

I like that the hotel will give guests streetcar tickets for free, and most of the staff are pleasant and helpful. A few of them can't quite manage to turn off the "ironic hipster 'tude" while they are at work, but they are not insufferable.

The Inn offers a free breakfast, the best part of which is the Tillamook yogurt. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical gluten- and glucose-laden traveller's breakfast. That said, there is always fresh fruit and lemony ice water available when we are there, and a pretty sweet upper deck.

I do have to say that their toiletries kind of lick, but not is a horrible way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BonnieLeeW
northrupstation, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at Northrup Station, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Diversity in experience is always a good thing. We're happy you've enjoyed your stays here and hope you have fun wherever you roam. And if you ever feel like coming back our way again, we’ll have a room for you.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family spent 4 days after Christmas discovering Portland. The Inn at Northrup Station was a great location to start each day and end the evening. It reminded us of something out of a cartoon with all the bright funky colours and crazy furniture, however the comfort/cleanliness level was the real thing! From the generous continental breakfast, free parking, wifi ,and well appointed rooms, this Inn is incredible! The tram stop was right outside the front door. Fantastic shops and an array of restaurants are 1 block away. Trader Joe's is a few blocks away. Friendly and helpful staff at the front desk and housekeeping ensures we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

The hotel business is an interesting one, in that you are not typically the destination -- you are a support player in the experience of a vacation, a family reunion, a stop along the way, or even just an otherwise normal Saturday evening. And it sounds like in this case we did our job and helped your family have a great time. Thank you for the review and for choosing us as part of your fun.