“Horrible”

Ranked #97 of 142 Hotels in Portland
kazoo2008
“Horrible”
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Do not stay there! Nice folks but...My daughter got bed bug bites (9-10-08) in room 42.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed October 17, 2004

We booked this place through Expedia on their "special rate" discount for 47 bucks. We figured that if it was on Expedia, it'd be a basic, no-frills, clean place. We've stayed in flea-bag hotels across Europe, and we're pretty flexible about most things.

We left this hotel after being there for 20 minutes. At 2 AM. Dead tired. But we WERE NOT going to sleep there.

The whole place kind of smelled and looked run-down. Our room reeked of cigarette smoke and god-knows-what. There were ashes all around the sink. The walls were stained and I was afraid to sit on the bed. Everything was dirty and smelly.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!

I wish I'd read the other reviews before booking. Don't make our mistake!

• Stayed October 2004
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Reviewed June 16, 2004

... this place came pretty close.

I strongly concur with all the previous reviews: DO NOT STAY HERE .. unless your senses are dulled by mind-altering drugs so that you can filter out the unpleasantries.

Regrettably, I managed to book this place for 3 nights through Expedia. The package looked alright and the location was ideal. As I approached the place however, I knew I made a big mistake.

First of all, I was greeted by the guy who worked at the front desk who looked like he just got up, hung over. It was noon. It took him some time to process the fact that I was a guest who had reserved a room (I guess it doesn't happen very often as I suspect most people use the rooms on an hourly basis).

He gave me my room key and asked for a five dollar deposit. When I gave him a ten, he cried "Aw man!", because getting change was like the single most arduous task he had to do all day.

Then the fun began. As I opened the door to my room, the stench of old cigarettes permeated. Smoke stains all over the walls. The window was open and this let in some flies which had the misfortune to enter this room. Cigarette burns were on the sheets. Everything was old and run down.

Bathroom: no hairdryer, no shampoo, very worn out towelletries. At least there was running water which was hot.

Amenities: no clock radio, no remote control for the TV (although you didn't want to spend time in the room watching TV anyway). There was a microwave and fridge, but I didn't check if they were in working order because the last thing anyone would want to do is eat here. Air conditioner didn't work.

If it weren't for the Rose Festival and non-vacancy at other hotels, I would not have stayed, but I endured it.

The only good thing about this hotel (and that is really being generous) is the location, but I would have gladly paid more to have stayed somewhere else.

Portland is a very safe city, however I did not feel secure in this place at all.

Unless you're into slumming, I would avoid this place altogether

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2004

Oh my god....I have stayed in MANY hotels, mostly through work but also through weekend jaunts like this was. This was the all time worst hotel, not only that I have actually stayed in, but I believe the worst I have ever seen even on tv. There was an abundance of homeless people around the hotel and I quessed some were inhabitants. The stench when you went into the lobby was bad, but not unbearable...that stench was left for when you opened the door to your room. A half eaten apple greeted us, probably a few days old, placed right outside our door as we attempted to open it. I slept on top of the sheets (good job we were tipsy by the time we made it back) and would never go near that shower. The front desk had a woman I could not understand...but whatever language she spoke she was ignorant. Please, please, please....LOOK elsewhere!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san diego
Reviewed October 6, 2003

I was going to review the Value Inn, but after reading the review of the guy from MA I decided it would be redundent---he pretty much nailed it. Cool staff, good location, cheap rates. Maybe there's one thing to add: eccentric clientele.

4 Thank booradley2
Switzerland
Reviewed September 9, 2003

I would probably give this place only one star, but it did have a few redeeming qualities so I wouldn't really qualify it as "terrible". The location is great - basically right in downtown Portland so you can walk everywhere. The staff was also very friendly and well-meaning - they let us look at 5-6 different rooms and pick which one we wanted.
Finally, the price just can't be beat! On the downside...it is kind of a funky place. Definitely not somewhere your average tourist would want to stay, but probably acceptable for younger, backpacker/student types or those who just want the basics.

Half of the hotel seemed like a drab residential hotel with apartment like rooms (neon beer signs in the kitchenettes was an interesting touch) including some with hot tubs. However, we ended up staying in a separate part of the hotel which was more like your average motel room and that was perfectly fine. No frills, but for that price, I wasn't expecting any.

11 Thank inkwave17