“A dump, but ok if you get over it”
Review of Downtown Value Inn

Downtown Value Inn
Ranked #92 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed December 30, 2013

e wanted to stay for cheap in downtown Portland, and this place fit the price tag. I would recommend something else if you can afford it. The water in the shower had no pressure. We got a room that stunk of smoke on arrival (asked for non smoking), the heater in the room was so loud we could not sleep, so instead we shivered through the night. The blinds in the windows need dusting. If you drive a mini van or SUV or are not very good at parking in tight spaces you may have problems parking at the limited availability parking. Forget it if you have a truck. Overall the place is kind of yucky. For instance I was a bit grossed out to go barefoot and wore my socks the entire time. The covers on the bed seem really old and it just doesn't seem hygienic. They have definitely not invested a penny to even put new bed throws/covers in. My husband and I slept in some warm clothes we brought with us, and I also slept in my pants - due to the cold. The pillows were comfy - that's the only plus. There is no breakfast or anything, but I can't imagine that it would be any good. The guy at the reception was OK, but did not really go out of his way to be nice, helpful, or give an extra sense of welcoming. The place is also not accessible for those who need wheelchair accessibility or have strollers to carry around.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank M P

Reviewed December 22, 2013

WORST motel I have ever stayed at!!!!! Please do not stay here! The staff is beyond RUDE and extremely UNPROFESSIONAL. They do not understand the concept of customer service.

We were visiting Portland for the holidays and a good friend picked us up from the airport and brought us to the motel. The hotel desk clerk basically freaked out and said no visitors were allowed after 10pm (it was only a little after 10). Btw, this policy is NOT in writing and was NOT mentioned at check in...It was just sprung on us at the last minute. I explained the situation and said our friend would only be staying a little while. He reluctantly agreed. After our friend had left (he only stayed 30-40 mins), the clerk called the room asking suspiciously if "our guest had left the premises." I said yes and he said he didn't see him leave and that he was coming up to our room.

Next thing I know, he is knocking on the door and basically BARGED into our room at 11:00 at night, "searching the premises" for our guest who he thought I was hiding in the room somewhere. After I repeated that our friend had left, he stormed out of the room saying, "Well if you don't like it, you can leave tomorrow! We will give you your money back!" I felt unsafe from his unwarranted entry and confused about his mistrust. It appears that the motel has had some "problems" with visitors in the past (IDK but am assuming maybe prostitutes or hookers bringing clients?). But regardless of their past history, we were good, paying customers, weren't doing anything illegal, and still were treated like criminals.

We tried staying another night or two, but we just kept feeling really uncomfortable there, and so ended up leaving there early and getting a refund for the rest of the days. They didn't even really seemed to care about losing our business. We went to EconoLodge down the street instead and had a much better experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank StaraShakti
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have travelled to over 20 countries and have had a variety of lodging options from couch surfing and hostels to very exclusive hotels. This motel is the worst place I've have ever stayed. To say the staff is rude is an understatement. When our friend dropped us off at the motel, he hung out in our room for 30-40 minutes before leaving. The desk clerk then called up my partner and screamed at her about some policy of no visitors after 10:00. (This policy is NOT in writing and was not mentioned at check in). Then he came up to the room, knocked on the door, and barged into the room looking for our friend who had already left. We were not using drugs or involved in any illegal activities and he just stormed into the room. The next day the same desk clerk called up my 65 year old mother who rented the room and screamed at her. I don't normally write reviews about motels/hotels, but I feel I should give other potential travelers fair warning before staying here. The management and desk clerks are very aggressive.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Ashley O
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Those who book a place called "Value Inn" shouldn't expect luxury. I stayed here one night to save money (and then a nicer place afterward). It fit the need for a place to sleep, and I'm a pretty easygoing traveler. It's basically a motor inn/motel. It looks dated inside and out, but my bathroom was partly updated with a nice tub and toilet. It is situated at the streetcar tracks, but I did not find the noise disturbing my sleep. One perk (which I didn't need, but still nice) was the fridge and microwave. There was no alarm clock, but most cellphones have an alarm anyway. The only issue I reported was the shower head: the pressure was great, if only I had unidirectional flow. The jets sprayed 20 different directions (I counted), so rinsing off took some time. The location is pretty convenient to downtown walking, and transit is less than a block away. So my suggestion: same some money here, but maybe splurge later.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank WavesJ-PA
Reviewed September 30, 2013

When I booked this hostel about a month before my stay, it was under a different name, so it took us some time to actually locate it when I arrived in Portland. We were very unimpressed from the moment we walked in the door. The man at the desk was rude, impolite, and has absolutely no idea of customer service, or basic manners. He appeared to be the owner or the manager, which made it worse. As he was checking us in, he was shouting at another guest over our shoulders, over something that was not her fault at all, and despite her repeated apologies he continued to be horrible and rude to her.
When he asked if we were paying by cash or credit, and we said cash, he sighed, and when we handed it over he gave us a dirty look and another disgruntled noise that he was going to have to count it.
We were not told what the check out time was, or notified of where any communal facilities were. We never did find out.
On our last day we checked out in the morning but didn't have to fly out of PDX until very late that night, but the hostel refused to hold our luggage for us, meaning we had to try and find another place to store it. We wasted the whole morning on this, and eventually had to heavily tip the bellboy at the Hilton to store our suitcases for us.

This place is not a hostel, believe me, I have been travelling a lot, and I have stayed in many hostels. It's a cheap motel with rude staff. We passed the owner guy in the hallway and said hello, but he bluntly ignored us and charged on past.

We will not stay here again, and urge you not to waste your money here, because it put a real downer on our trip to this wonderful city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank naomimarcus
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I chose this place to stay as the lonely planet gave it a decent rap. I retreat being mislead by them. I was looking for a hostel to stay in downtown Portland. I stayed here in the mix dorm room and it was repulsive. It was not clean. I questioned whether having a shower was worthwhile. The beds where noisy and uncomfortable. The communal spaces impractical and dirty. It was not a nice play to stay and I was thankful I was only there for two nights.

The only good thing this place has going for it is it's locate - right on the light rail line.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the dorm room for under 30's