“Rude staff, not a hostel, not clean.”
Review of Downtown Value Inn

Downtown Value Inn
Ranked #90 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

When I booked this hostel about a month before my stay, it was under a different name, so it took us some time to actually locate it when I arrived in Portland. We were very unimpressed from the moment we walked in the door. The man at the desk was rude, impolite, and has absolutely no idea of customer service, or basic manners. He appeared to be the owner or the manager, which made it worse. As he was checking us in, he was shouting at another guest over our shoulders, over something that was not her fault at all, and despite her repeated apologies he continued to be horrible and rude to her.
When he asked if we were paying by cash or credit, and we said cash, he sighed, and when we handed it over he gave us a dirty look and another disgruntled noise that he was going to have to count it.
We were not told what the check out time was, or notified of where any communal facilities were. We never did find out.
On our last day we checked out in the morning but didn't have to fly out of PDX until very late that night, but the hostel refused to hold our luggage for us, meaning we had to try and find another place to store it. We wasted the whole morning on this, and eventually had to heavily tip the bellboy at the Hilton to store our suitcases for us.

This place is not a hostel, believe me, I have been travelling a lot, and I have stayed in many hostels. It's a cheap motel with rude staff. We passed the owner guy in the hallway and said hello, but he bluntly ignored us and charged on past.

We will not stay here again, and urge you not to waste your money here, because it put a real downer on our trip to this wonderful city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank naomimarcus

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I chose this place to stay as the lonely planet gave it a decent rap. I retreat being mislead by them. I was looking for a hostel to stay in downtown Portland. I stayed here in the mix dorm room and it was repulsive. It was not clean. I questioned whether having a shower was worthwhile. The beds where noisy and uncomfortable. The communal spaces impractical and dirty. It was not a nice play to stay and I was thankful I was only there for two nights.

The only good thing this place has going for it is it's locate - right on the light rail line.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the dorm room for under 30's
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank happy_traveler1985
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is in a decent location for Downtown Portland. The people that work there are friendly and they have free parking. The only bad this about this property is that it is old and a bit broken down. If you are looking for an affordable place to crash while in Portland, this is a good option. If you prefer more upscale accommodation, keep looking and expect to pay quite a bit more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill E
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were very pleased with Downtown Value Inn. A decent size double room in a great location, easy walking distance to downtown and the nearby train lines. Staff were happy to answer any queries we had. The decor was a little old fashioned but the room was great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AshleaWheeler
Reviewed July 5, 2013

PSU campus area. Only 2 Max stops from Pioneer Square. Mini marts and a few cafes right next to the inn.
My room (2 queen beds) was spacious and the bathroom kept clean.
The facilities (TV, AC, fridge, shower) were pretty old, but they worked just fine.
I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Nicole F
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The staff was very kind always saying have a great day when we leave and smiled every time we came back. If something not to your liking politely ask and the staff is more than happy to fix the issue. This hotel is in a great location, walk across the street and your on the max, a short walk the other way and your on the street car. Good food near.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank jroseclegg
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The front desk guy, was rude very unhappy. Doesn't have any manners to deal
with public. But, the hotel is an excellent location.
In the meantime the location allow me to walk around downtown, fresh market
fancy restaurants... visited Nel Modera