“Solid budget hotel with dorms”
Review of Downtown Value Inn

Downtown Value Inn
Ranked #97 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Amsterdam
“Solid budget hotel with dorms”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

It is not a hostel, yet has a couple of dorms rooms of 4-5 people. The rooms are very clean with towels and soap provided and for the price good value in Portland. The staff are friendly and there is a nice pub nextdoor that serves a mean pizza and had a great happy hour!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Stanton, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Affordable, handy to PSU and downtown Portland however very NO FRILLS. No coffee maker in room, No iron, No hair dryer, contrary to what the ad says this place has NO restaurant or bar. The pictures are of the pizza place on the corner. We stayed there 5 nghts while visiting our daughter and they never once made our bed. Would definitely NOT stay here again.Worst of all NO SMOKE ALARMS anywhere!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Edmonton,Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2011

First off I do want to say that the two men running this hotel are very kind sweet guys, they did everything they could to accommodate me after a mix up with their reservation system left me without a room in a city with almost nothing available.
They were able to give me a room for three of the four nights I had booked, but after I saw the room I changed my mind and choose to only stay one night. It was very late and I figured it would do for just one night, and the men were very kind about that too.

But the hotel itself was a nightmare. This is a VERY OLD building, and the upkeep just hasn't been there. I stayed on the main floor, at the very end of a long dark hallway. The room was more like a bachelor apartment, with a full "Kitchen" (it had appliances but no dishes or anything) The windows were open when I got there but I did not feel safe (you could easily climb up the building structure and get in this room, as a single girl traveling this just was not ok for me.) and as soon as I closed them I noticed the room had an odor that was a mix of urine and cigarettes. It was also not very clean, but more in really old and worn out way than an actually dirty way.

I decided not to chance the bedbug situation, and frankly the bed just grossed me out so I didn't want to get in it. I am on a roadtrip right now and happen to have the gear to do this, so I chose to sleep on top of the made bed, with a wool blanket over it, and in my own sleeping bag. I am really glad I did because even without getting into the bed I still woke up with bed bug bites on my right hand. I'm really glad I choose to leave my suitcase in the car, now I only have to worry about the camping gear having bedbugs on it!

Bugs aside (i'm sure they are hit or miss in any hotel like this one) while I personally wouldn't stay here again, if you're looking for a cheap central place to sleep I think it would be ok, so long as you know what you're getting into. The doors have actual keys to lock them, and you have to remember to lock yourself inside too. The wifi is spotty at best, they even give you the password for the pizza place next door because the signal is often much stronger. And the beds, even if not infested with bugs are also very uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was a unplanned stop over only and it served it's purpose. Hotel was old but was clean and no bed bugs. Free parking. Close to pubs and restaurants. Staff friendly and willing to show available rooms prior to booking.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2011

For an affordable and awesomely located motel, this is your place. We stayed there 8 nights while locating a place to move from the mid-west. The motel is next door to a tasty pizza place offering $2 pizza slice nights, rotating from cheese to Hawaiian. Yum! Also the FREE green, yellow, and streetcar lines are less than 30 seconds from your hotel room. Convenience. PSU is just a few blocks away as well as the Cultural district within a .25mile. We made use of the refrigerator in the room to store cheap and fresh produce from the many farmer's markets available in town along with a rotation of food cart visits! The room itself is well used, but still usable. Management is extremely nice and ready to answer questions if needed. For the price and the location its a great savings!

Room Tip: we booked through hotels.com
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Had a room with a kitchen dressing room,good bathroom,and king size bed for $60 a night by booking early.No bed bugs, and one of the quietest hotels I have ever been in Free wifi,fridge cable TV and microwave. Walk or take the free Max trm/streetcar to city centre or Union /Greyhound Station. Heaps of places to eat right outside the door and Safeway is close.
Who can ask foe more?

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Lee K
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I were brutally ATTACKED BY BED BUGS with bites all over our torso, our legs and our back. After careful inspection, we found fecal and DARK BLOOD STAINS all over the mattress from the bed bugs. We woke up in the morning, complained to the manager and he laughed in our face and told us to catch the bed bug in a cup! Bed bugs are only active in the evening so he was essentially mocking us which gave me the impression that he receives the bed bug complaint often. There was no refund! There was no help! My boyfriend experienced open wounds and later... terrible infections from the bites, and now MY ROOM IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS at home. They must have traveled on our luggage but I am so upset and will have to call an exterminator and take other costly measures to solve this issue.‎ For now I am sleeping on the couch, too paranoid to enter my room, this is such an inconvenience that I am still dealing with weeks after our stay in Portland. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! And by the way- the TV was broken.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Danamuras
PDX_Hotel_Service, Guest Relations Manager at Downtown Value Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Dear Danamuras:

We wish to thank you for providing your feedback about your stay at the Downtown Value Inn. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies that you and your boyfriend should have had such an unpleasant incident occur while you were with us. To think that one of our staff members would be so insensitive and discourteous to a guest voicing a concern, let alone one as serious as a report of bedbugs in a room is just mortifying. We strive to provide all of our guests clean and comfortable rooms with friendly personalized service. In this case we failed to make your hospitality experience a positive one and we are very sorry for the inconveniences you have had to endure. Let us assure you that complaints from our customers are given the careful consideration they deserve. Copies of your remarks have been forwarded to the property ownership for review. The faulty television has been replaced. We have also contracted with a new pest extermination service which offers more frequent inspections as well as specialized training to deal with the unique problems involved with bedbugs to insure that this sort of situation can be avoided in the future. We hope that even if you decide not to seek lodging with us again, that you will still not hesitate to visit our beautiful city in the future.

We would welcome hearing more from you about the issues you had during your stay with us. We can be reached at the following address: guestrelations@downtownvalueinn.com