“Worth the drive”

Cuisines: American
Portland, Oregon
“Worth the drive”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

First of all, this is an relatively ordinary tavern with surprisingly good hamburger and fries. There can be a wait and it can be noisy bit their burgers are among the best in town.

Their best fries are called "black and white". The fries are coated with Parmesan and sprinkled with truffle oil. The dipping sauce is aoli colored with said ink (the black part). Looks intimidating but dive in, it's great. Some of the city's best and certainly the most creative.

It's a fairly long drive for us but we'll be back.

2 Thank passionatetraveler20

Portland, Oregon
“Um...it's a good burger.”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I keep hearing about this being such a great hipster place to eat, I checked it out to see if i had any hipster left in me.

The first thing I noticed is evidently the hipster crowd likes to wait. Maybe that is why beer was invented - but if our experience on a Wednesday evening was an indicator - it takes a while for them to grill a hamburger. We weren’t happy with the wait.

The place is loud, the acoustics are such that it would be loud with only one party being there, imagine what it is like when it is busy. Loud music complete the headache I had by the time we left.

As ‘with it’ as this place is - it’s still just a burger restaurant. They sell several variations of their beef hamburger (I hear they grind chuck every day, I can’t confirm that as we didn’t ask) they also have a veggie burger and a lamb burger. Each burger is made on a brioche bun. No - i don’t pretend to know what that is, but it was a hamburger bun - more substantial than a fluffy fast food burger bun. Each burger is also served with “Foster Sauce.” It tasted like fresh ground horseradish root - in something like sour cream and mayo. I like horseradish, so it was a win with me, I dipped my hamburger and fries in it.

Evidently it is no longer hip to put a tomato on a hamburger. But for 50 cents they will put a slice of pickled beet on your burger. Which I believe is an Australian thing, but kind of odd here.

So I ordered the mini-foster burger and a wedge salad. The mini was about the size of a large burger at a fast food restaurant and just about as thin. It was about what I was expecting - bigger than tiny. It tasted like a grilled hamburger - there really aren’t too many ways to improve on ground meat so it wasn’t life changing - but it was a good hamburger.

The wedge salad was very good, I have to give them that. It was about three quarters of a head of fresh iceberg lettuce, cut into appropriate wedges, drenched with green goddess dressing with blue cheese, croutons, tomato, egg - and diced pork belly. it was a win. I ate half and took the rest home.

I get the feeling that most of the attraction of this place is the beer and drinks. No one in our group drinks, so we did not try anything - but half their menu is drinks.

The basket of fries we ordered was huge - but again, how much can you improve on fried potatoes? They were fine. At the end of the evening, I was happy to leave. I had a headache, I was tired of waiting and hit was hot and stuffy. I might go back if I could sit out on the patio during the good weather. I might go back for take-out. But I doubt I would find myself going back without any compelling reason.

• Visited November 2011