“Authentic Underground Experience”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Authentic Underground Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was so much fun. Michael, our guide was the perfect character to lead such a tour. I was scared, excited, emotional, curious, and interested throughout our journey underground. The Portland underground has quite a story and the Cascade Geographic Society is dedicated to preserving and uncovering as much of its history as possible. This is not a tour just to make money. It is educational. The people involved are passionate and they are experts. Portland is full of fun weirdness and this is the perfect explanation of that. I have been on the Seattle Underground tour and this is not even comparable! It is so much more authentic and genuine. It is an experience I would suggest to every visitor to Portland. It is also very affordable!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank kschopp1

Margate, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“eerie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Going below the city into the tunnels was definitely unique. Make
sure you check tour dates.You really get a sense of what a bawdy
city was in the 19th century.The tour guides are excellent. 11/2 hours very well spent.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank chuleta1
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“History made fun and interesting :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was not just some tour where we were brought downstairs and then told a whole bunch of hocus pocus to get us wound up and freaked out, but it was more about learning the historical information behind all of the crazy activities that took place in this particular neighborhood. Nita (our tour guide), did ask the our group if we did want to know about ghost stories that she was aware of, and because our group agreed on wanting a little inside scoop on that as well, she managed to incorporate it very lightly, but still was able to do it professionally, adding in things here and there into the real nitty gritty information that was creepy enough for me, even without the idea of the ghost stories she provided.

Read more Here:

Visited December 2012
1 Thank THEYAM
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“CGS volunteers do a wonderful job with this history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I recently went on a tour of the Shanghai Tunnels with the Cascade Geographic Society, and completely loved it.

We met at Hobo's bar which was a great place as well.

After an above ground orientation we went underground in to 4 sections below that are still connected below one block. Our tour guide was so well informed regarding a variety of Portland history and offered to continue with questions above ground following the hour tour we took below.
This tour is a great value, only costing $13 a person. The underground had many interesting places to see and the group had chosen a ghost tour so we were also told about different paranormal events that have been experienced. CGS had a paranormal investigator on the tour as well. I did not have any questions for him but we were told he is available to chat with guest who want to know more details or had an experience to share from the tour.

It is pretty dusty and having comfy shoes is important.
I would not bring a young child but kids who are interested in history or ghost hunting would likely enjoy it. They mentioned Ghost Adventures had been down last year and the travel channel has filmed a few other specials.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Carrie K
Toronto, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Awesome historical facts...gave me a whole new perspective on Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

My bf and I went on a Shanghai Tunnel Tour today through the Cascades Historical Society (Pretty sure I have the name wrong there, sorry) and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Dave was an awesome presenter...a little wordy at times...but had so much great information to share that he kept going back to footnote previous comments! :) he shared many stories, including years and names...it allowed you to really visualize what went on down there.

The tunnels were dark and somewhat creepy, pretty much what I expected. We traveled only a couple hundred feet but that wasn't a surprise as the tunnels continue to be excavated and not all are or will ever be accessible again. The archeological finds strewn throughout the site really drove home the brutality that went on underground.

My partner and I both agreed that the 90 min tour went well beyond a $13 value, which is what it was per person.

I would recommend this tour to others. We booked our tickets online the morning of our tour (scheduled for 6:30pm) and when we arrived, they had our names and registration went smoothly.

Whether you are a native Portlander or simply visiting this awesome city, find some time to check this out!

2 Thank AmandaPantz