“Deliciously fresh & plentiful food at value prices”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Jumbo's Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #2,206 of 4,276 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Vancouver, Washington
“Deliciously fresh & plentiful food at value prices”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Just off the beaten path, a short drive past Fred Meyer's on SE Johnson Creek Road, you'll find this unassuming restaurant by it's huge overhead sign (yes, the sign IS jumbo!).
Ample free parking right out front is a definite convenience. I was reminded of an old fashioned diner when I walked in - tables along the windowed perimeter, a counter parallel to these, and the kitchen doors behind that. Clean, charming, and inviting. I could see an unlit "banquet" room off to one end of the main dining room, and that there was a lounge at the other end.
The menu is many pages of offerings from beef, to pork, to seafood, to veggies. Choice of spicy or not, individual plates or family style, soups, desserts, appetizers. We each chose a seafood plate, which came with rice (brown or fried - your choice), and soup (egg drop or sweet and spicy). Both soups were delicious. My shrimp plate had lots and lots of shrimp (no skimping there), and freshly cut, perfectly cooked veggies in a light sauce. Although I will admit that neither my friend nor I is a big eater, truthfully, we could have ordered a cup of soup each and shared either one of the entrees, and we would have both been stuffed! A freshly brewed pot of tea, of course came with.
Our plates cost $6.95 each, which was the typical price for the lunch entrees, although there were some items at a higher cost on the menu.
The service we experienced at Jumbo's was outstanding. Our server was friendly, helpful, quick to notice if we needed something, but not obtrusive.
While not fancy or in a trendy neighborhood, I think that Jumbo's, with its great food, delightful service, and modest prices, is a hidden gem.

• Visited November 2011