“Crazy flavors but worth it”
Review of Salt & Straw

Salt & Straw
Ranked #1 of 129 Dessert in Portland
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Small-batch, chef-driven ice cream made by hand with local ingredients since 2011. We hope you love it!
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stop by here, just to see the flavors listed on the board and be amazed! My husband's favorite was the loaded baked potato - complete with chives and chocolate-covered bacon bits. The salted caramel (while much more normal) is excellent. Everything we tasted was good - I just don't think you can go wrong!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Salt and Straw ice cream shop offers some decent ice cream. But almost always there are large crowds in front of the place, one has to wait for a long time to get in and in the end the flavors are not the greatest either. Top it off with some pricy offerings and you end up with not such a great ice cream parlor after all, in spite of the hype. Just across the street one can find two or three smaller gellato shops that are (in my opinion) much better deal, without large crowds and with some better flavors too.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

My cousin told me about Salt and Straw. She and her family have lived in Portland for 10 years, and had never been. I went during the week around 2 pm. There were only a few customers and there was no line. The girl that waited on me wasn't busy, so she was excited to have me try almost every flavor. She was very knowledgeable about where the ingredients came from. They locally source as much of the ingredients that they can. There are the every day flavors, and then there are the seasonal ones. I had the Honey and Lavender and Salted Caramel. It didn't disappoint. This was the best ice cream I have ever eaten. I went back another day with my cousin. There was a line but it went quickly. Now she knows why this place is so popular and will return with her family. The ice cream can be shipped packaged in dry ice. I will be ordering some soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had some of the best ice cream ever! Offering many inventive flavors, Salt and Straw will stun you from blue cheese to oiive oil or the magnificent sea salt and caramel. The ice cream cones are hand rolled from waffles freshly made right in front of you, completing a crucial part of the ice cream experience missing in many places. The staff is also fun and friendly. Customers can sample before deciding what to order -- a hard decision to make, because everything is so delicious! I'd definitely visit if I'd in the same quadrant of the city. Be prepared to pay a few dollars more for quality. It's totally worth it.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This place is one I just had to visit. The line in the summer was always around the block, but it was worth checking out. After a few tastes I realized that some flavors were definitely better than others, but still yummy