“Good self service Sushi train place”
Review of Sushi Sakura

Sushi Sakura
Ranked #762 of 4,419 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Fresh ingredients, quite a bit selections, central location, normal sushi taste. We caught the happy hours, and very good price, $30 for two people, 11 plates and two Saporo beer. The only issue is that they may use too much mayo or something taste creamy.

1  Thank OttawaYou

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Sushi Sakura was next to our hotel and our niece traveling with us had never had Sushi so we decided to check it out. I had only seen a Sushi Train on TV food shows. It was really interesting to experience. The only problem was we could not easily identify which rolls or food was going by us. I was also really concerned about how they know how long an item had been on the "train". It was not refrigerated so it had a short shelf life. Overall it was an experience but the sushi was average.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We saw the photos of this and were curious, we've had some great sushi at conveyor places like this.
The prices were great, happy hour was a good deal.
I wish we liked the food but it was average at best.
The few rolls we tried were ok, the Gyoza and spring rolls were gross, the iced tea was tasteless.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Choose what you like from the conveyor belt. Lots of choice. Calculate cost by colour . We went there a few times.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

So sometimes my goal is to see how inexpensively I can get a snack in a sit down restaurant.

After a full day of sightseeing in Portland, Oregon, my feet were really killing me. I just missed the 2:30 p.m. cook's break at my favorite Portland Vietnamese restaurant, Luc Lac, where an order of tasty spring rolls (tofu, pork, shrimp, etc) cost $4.00

So my goal was to find a quick $4.00 snack and a chance to get off my feet before heading back to the hotel.

This is a conveyor-belt place. Sushi chefs in the middle place different color dishes (covered with clear plastic bowls) on the conveyor belt. There weren't a lot of people there at 3 p.m. - although Happy Hour (buy a drink, all the plates were either $1.75 or $1.25.

I didn't want a drink, just a budget Japanese snack. A red plate ($1.35 - .99 with a drink) came by the conveyor belt with two pieces of Inari (Japanese footballs - rice-filled tofu pockets) so I grabbed them. Then a red plate of edamame came by. Another $1.25. Then one more Inari. $1.25. The only other red plates held 2 tiny fried spring rolls or 2 of those round sesame ball things.

I waited about 20 minutes for other red plates to come by but none that appealed passed by. And I didn't ask for anything and I am sure I could have. The menu stated these red plates were on the menu - but none oxcept the 4 I mentioned came by. Avocado Roll, Cucumber Roll, “Crab” Salad, “Crab” Stick, Edamame, Gyoza (pork & vegetable), Inari, Masago, Oshinko Roll, Seaweed Salad, Spring Roll, Tamago

It was fun watching the dishes go by, mostly rolls with pink or orange sauce drizzled on them. No one came by to give me a glass of water the entire time, and finally one chef asked me if I wanted anything else.

I asked for Edamame, but after 10 more minutes, they didn't arrive, so I paid my $4.05 and left. I did get what I expected - $4.00 snack and my feet were rested.