“We aren't hippies but we sure enjoyed pretending.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse
Ranked #20 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Black Diamond, Canada
“We aren't hippies but we sure enjoyed pretending.”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I forget what I Googled to find this place. Possibly hippy bed and breakfast or maybe it was authentic Portland lodgings. Whatever the query, we sure got what we came for; four nights in a real family home and a glimpse into our hosts’ daily lives and routines.

If all you’re seeking is a place to lay your head then keep looking as you probably won’t be happy with Tierra Soul. If you want a unique and truthful time with people who welcome you into their home but aren’t going to make a fuss about it then go ahead and book your stay.

I’ll finish this post in list format as that seems to be how most like to consume information.

The Great:
• The Tierra Soul children are hilarious. Both precocious and cute the brother and older sister kept we and our young son entertained and well informed about the urban farm animals and upkeep.
• The mattress is quite plush. It’s a very comfortable space age foam thing. We stayed in the Loft and were pleased with the king size bed for us and the single for our son. It also has a private bath, the only room in the joint that doesn’t have shared facilities.
• The hand made soap found in every room is a rich and lathery treat. The secret according to Krista, co-owner of Tierra Soul, is FAT. Soap made with animal
fat is a luxury that really must be experienced.
• The first hand look at how this family functions in their daily lives is an adventure in itself. Not much is hidden here, from their philosophy on child-rearing to what they eat and drink and how to prepare it is all on display and open to questions, discussion and sharing. Both Krista and David have a lot of knowledge about food; both the production and preparation.
• The goats, ducks and chickens are a wonder. We come from a place where farming happens on a much larger scale so to see gardening and animal husbandry on a standard city lot is an eye-opener.

The Cold Hard Truth (according to us)
• There is a lock on the front door but it doesn’t get used. I was a little unsettled about falling asleep with no lock between my family and the outside world but in all fairness I’m still alive and well.
• They do ask you sort your garbage into recyclables and landfill/compost waste. I tried my best but there was only one bin with no bag so we did have a bit of a mess on our hands at the end of our stay. I travel with garbage bags so I didn’t mention this issue to our hosts as it wasn’t a huge deal. I’m certain they would have remedied the situation if I’d bothered to bring it to their attention.
• Your socks may get wrecked. The house boasts the original floorboards. They are a little rough in spots and have a tendency to hook onto sock threads. Either bring slippers or keep your shoes on.

You would be hard pressed to find another family who will welcome you into their home, warts and all, like the Arias family at Tierra Soul. They are not phony and won’t try to kiss you as you arrive but hopefully you’ll leave having created a few genuine friendships.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vavak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I first came to this special little urban farm through wwoofing. I was welcomed authentically and right away they asked me what I would like to get out of my experience there. By the end of my three months, I had learned everything I'd hoped to. Since then, I have been back many times as a farm-stayer and as a guest to Tierra Soul events. This family and sweet little farm appeal to special folk and is perfect for people like me who like to hang out with goats, hear the sounds of children around and snuggle into a cup of tea. Nothing fancy here... just real people making a big impact in a small space.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Silicon Valley
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I had signed up to stay 3 nights in "The Caravan", a 60s era RV, but after two nights we inquired about staying for the remainder of our week in Portland. Luckily the RV was not booked until the day we were leaving so we stayed on.

First, let me say that this is NOT luxury accommodations. This is a family home, opened to the public for our exploration and adventure. Another reviewer complained about some of the things we really love about this place so I'll just enumerate them for you:

1. You're dealing with people, not a company.
2. The "people" is a family, with all that a family entails. They have two young children, who are delightful, and they have family responsibilities, which include early to bed, early to rise.
3. The family is friendly and will answer any questions they can and, as far as I've been able to ascertain, accommodate individual guests' needs.
4. As with all human relationships, there's ebb and flow. Being available for late arrivals is not one of them; they're in bed by 8 or 9 pm but you can arrive any time you need to.
5. It is an urban farm, meaning that they have chickens and goats and bees and lots of edible things growing. The owners, Krista and David, are happy to discuss their experiences whenever they're available to do so.
6. We LOVE funky, which means, to us, not polished and she-she. This is a very earthy place and we love that.

Yes, there are no locks. We stayed in the RV, which does include a key to lock it up, but we never used it and left our laptops inside without a care.

This is a city, a big city, and Tierra Soul is not in the dolled-up part of town but it's very comfortable, very earthy, and very real. We cannot wait to return to the Caravan and to this family. They're delightful!

Room Tip: The caravan has adequate heating; A/C unit not used as it was October. Used stove & frig, showe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emersunrose
Pendleton, Oregon
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was planning a weekend retreat to Portland and found this little gem online. The photos looked gorgeous and it sounded like it was right up my alley; just the kind of place that you would want to stay in Portland! Then came the government shutdown and because I was furloughed, I am now unable to make the trip. Tierra's policy on cancellations is that from the time you book, up until 8 days prior, you only get a 50% refund! (see Tierra's site http://www.tierrasoulpdx.com/farm-stay/cancellation-policy/ ) So, I am paying $129 essentially for making and then cancelling my reservation! I have NEVER heard of such a cancellation policy, especially cancelling 9 days prior to my reservation! I spoke with David (I am assuming the owner) who was friendly ( I was friendly too) and he explained to the affect of, 'we have to be fair to all our other guests that may want to come and stay, and can't, due to dates being taken'. Essentially that Tierra loses out when someone cancels and they can't fill the reservation. Well, a check online today (10/9/13) confirms that Tierra is indeed booked full the weekend that I planned to go. (David, does this now mean I get $129 back?... Probably not. David did offer, over the phone, to change my stay dates so I wouldn't lose out on the $129, and VAGUELY suggested that I might be able to have the $129 credited to a future stay...I followed up on this with an email this past Saturday to Tierra. Response? "Crickets"......I have filed a complaint with the Portland BBB. I have taken the personal step of not referring them to stay at Tierra. Just stay at a McMenamin's instead. They are very understanding and easygoing on cancellations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gcoop75
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband, 7-yearl old son, and I stayed in The Corner Caravan for 3 nights during the summer of 2012. We had a great time! We were on a little permaculture/farming tour and were thrilled to find like-minded folks to stay with in Portland. My son was so excited to stay in the Caravan and it did not disappoint! We liked being able to cook for ourselves and were quite comfortable. Krista and David and their amazing children were kind and welcoming and have since become friends. Their daughter and our son played together for three days straight. Since staying in the Caravan my husband and I have each returned to Tierra Soul once and stayed in the Farmhouse. It’s beautiful and creatively decorated. And most importantly, it’s authentic and driven by David and Krista’s desire to live in accordance with their values and meet others who want to do the same. We will absolutely stay with them again the next time we’re in Portland!

Room Tip: The Corner Caravan is a totally unique experience.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nimbin, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This place is such a funky urban sanctuary in the already-über funky city of Portland. Felt so welcome and at home in the sprawling permaculture veggie gardens and backyard that feels more like a farm! These guys really have the good like cranking and are so up for sharing it with the wider world, it's inspirational! Thanks for an awesome stay and for making us feel so at home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed October 4, 2013

From my experience, there is a massive gap between what this establishment markets itself to be and what it is. The marketing gives the impression that you will be staying at a friendly urban farm. We stayed there 2 nights and the proprietors never introduced themselves to us. When we arrived, we had to find someone to show us the lay of the land and I'm still not sure if this guy actually worked there...it was hard to get words out of him. There was no lock on the bedroom door or on the bathroom door...it was a communal bathroom. There was no air conditioning which is OK however, the windows didn't open and it is hot in Portland in the summer. I didn't see much evidence of urban farming...nothing was growing in the front yard and the backyard just seemed to have one goat and some other animal. The one positive thing I can say is that the mattress was comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family