“What a shame...and a sham! Make sure you read the fine print.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse
Ranked #20 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Pendleton, Oregon
“What a shame...and a sham! Make sure you read the fine print.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was planning a weekend retreat to Portland and found this little gem online. The photos looked gorgeous and it sounded like it was right up my alley; just the kind of place that you would want to stay in Portland! Then came the government shutdown and because I was furloughed, I am now unable to make the trip. Tierra's policy on cancellations is that from the time you book, up until 8 days prior, you only get a 50% refund! (see Tierra's site http://www.tierrasoulpdx.com/farm-stay/cancellation-policy/ ) So, I am paying $129 essentially for making and then cancelling my reservation! I have NEVER heard of such a cancellation policy, especially cancelling 9 days prior to my reservation! I spoke with David (I am assuming the owner) who was friendly ( I was friendly too) and he explained to the affect of, 'we have to be fair to all our other guests that may want to come and stay, and can't, due to dates being taken'. Essentially that Tierra loses out when someone cancels and they can't fill the reservation. Well, a check online today (10/9/13) confirms that Tierra is indeed booked full the weekend that I planned to go. (David, does this now mean I get $129 back?... Probably not. David did offer, over the phone, to change my stay dates so I wouldn't lose out on the $129, and VAGUELY suggested that I might be able to have the $129 credited to a future stay...I followed up on this with an email this past Saturday to Tierra. Response? "Crickets"......I have filed a complaint with the Portland BBB. I have taken the personal step of not referring them to stay at Tierra. Just stay at a McMenamin's instead. They are very understanding and easygoing on cancellations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gcoop75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband, 7-yearl old son, and I stayed in The Corner Caravan for 3 nights during the summer of 2012. We had a great time! We were on a little permaculture/farming tour and were thrilled to find like-minded folks to stay with in Portland. My son was so excited to stay in the Caravan and it did not disappoint! We liked being able to cook for ourselves and were quite comfortable. Krista and David and their amazing children were kind and welcoming and have since become friends. Their daughter and our son played together for three days straight. Since staying in the Caravan my husband and I have each returned to Tierra Soul once and stayed in the Farmhouse. It’s beautiful and creatively decorated. And most importantly, it’s authentic and driven by David and Krista’s desire to live in accordance with their values and meet others who want to do the same. We will absolutely stay with them again the next time we’re in Portland!

Room Tip: The Corner Caravan is a totally unique experience.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nimbin, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This place is such a funky urban sanctuary in the already-über funky city of Portland. Felt so welcome and at home in the sprawling permaculture veggie gardens and backyard that feels more like a farm! These guys really have the good like cranking and are so up for sharing it with the wider world, it's inspirational! Thanks for an awesome stay and for making us feel so at home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed October 4, 2013

From my experience, there is a massive gap between what this establishment markets itself to be and what it is. The marketing gives the impression that you will be staying at a friendly urban farm. We stayed there 2 nights and the proprietors never introduced themselves to us. When we arrived, we had to find someone to show us the lay of the land and I'm still not sure if this guy actually worked there...it was hard to get words out of him. There was no lock on the bedroom door or on the bathroom door...it was a communal bathroom. There was no air conditioning which is OK however, the windows didn't open and it is hot in Portland in the summer. I didn't see much evidence of urban farming...nothing was growing in the front yard and the backyard just seemed to have one goat and some other animal. The one positive thing I can say is that the mattress was comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mazy2013
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were looking to 'experience' Portland and stay somewhere that was unusual, had atmosphere and would be memorable. We did not want a chain-hotel. We wete not disappointed. The house itself is very pretty in a rustic way, with tiny attention to details which make the whole place quite magical. The rooms are lovely and the beds luxurious! The hosts were REALLY sweet and went out of their way for us when we sprung it on them that we wanted to stay for longer! The other people we met there were all interesting and we loved sitting around talking to them. We were so relaxed sitting on the porch watching the world go by. I'll remember it as a highlight of my holiday. It won't be for everyone; you're staying in someone's house and to get the most out of it you need to buy into their way of life whilst you are there. Do that and an exciting new experuence awaits you! Thank you Tierra Soul.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

So cozy, so comfortable, so welcoming. It's not fancy, well its much fancier than my home, but not in a fancy hotel sense. We stayed in the loft, my daughter, my son his friend and myself. It is a great big space. The kids were disappointed I had not booked the space for the tail end of our vacation.
Kevin was there managing the home while the Arias Clan was out rocking at Pickathon, he did an excellent job showing us our space and letting us know what was what. So informative of where to go for food, groceries and other.
It loved the vibe, the goats, the smells, the decor, the soft beds, the homemade soap and complete privacy. The neighbourhood was perfect for the experience we wanted. A quick walk to Mississippi To the food carts or other great eateries!
Stay here if you want a B&B without the breakfast. We will find ourselves here if we trip to Portland again.

Room Tip: Check with them if you have a party larger than 3 to get the right room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington State
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My son and I stayed here in March. We loved the peaceful atmosphere and the sustainable living philosophy. The bed was soft, the room comfortable, the decor entertaining and the old wood flooring lovely. The animals were a really fun touch. I suggested that the website is unclear as to if breakfast is served or not (it's not). There are very good places to eat close by and maybe breakfast is an option the family will consider in the future. I really liked the selection of unique teas and homemade soap as well as the hot water bottle in the room. Krista seems like someone I would be friends with if I lived in Portland. The home is welcoming and feels safe, like staying with a cousin. There are no locks used here as other reviews have mentioned. That is a bit disconcerting since you are in a city with a certain crime level. I didn't like that someone could just walk in the house but accepted it as a value the family seems to hold. Maybe the hosts will reconsider this practice for the guests' peace of mind. This is a unique place to stay and we enjoyed the adventure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family