“Odd flavored ice cream”

Ranked #16 of 126 Dessert in Portland
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Fortunately this place allows you to sample the flavors before you buy. Normally I love a good strawberry ice cream but their Oregon Strawberry was pretty bland and disappointing. After multiple samples I just had to settle on chocolate.

Guess i will never figure out why folks insist on trying to come up with the weirdest flavors for stuff like ice cream... Beet flavored ice cream, seriously?!

Many Portland eateries try so hard to make ever-changing, bizarre food and flavor combinations instead of perfecting a few that really work and people love.

1  Thank sp4301

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was on my first trip to Portland, and it was a super hot week, perfect for ice cream. I had planned to try one of the top ice cream places I that had a lot of Yelp reviews, but when I checked out their idea of unusual flavors online...mmm...well, let's just saw I'm not a big beer lover, especially in my ice cream. I was in the N.Mississippi area for a back massage. I only had 10 minutes to kill and popped into Ruby Jewel to check out the menu and find out how late they were open. Even though I told the girl I would be back later, she was happily suggesting flavors for me to try immediately. I tried about 4 or 5. After sampling Honey Lavender, Blueberry Basil, Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan, to name a few, I asked the girl what was her favorite. If I ever have trouble choosing between a couple menu items at a restaurant or food cart, I always ask the waiter what they like. It may not be the most popular choice, but trust me, they taste everything. They know how it's made. If they pick one of my top choices, I know I have a winner.

The server said she liked the Bourban Pecan with the rosemary pecan topping or Brown Sugar Sour Cream, which is what I was leaning toward, but she said it was even better with the toasted marcona almond topper. Sold! I felt guilty walking into the massage spa still slurping ice cream as fast as possible, but it was worth not waiting. The salted marcona almonds was really the perfect compliment with the ice cream, both flavor and texture. I kept it to a mini kids size to finish faster, and it was still a fairly large helping. The ice cream was supremely creamy, tart and sweet and salty with the almonds. Really. Perfection. I did not have a craving for any other ice cream the rest of my vacation and recommended Ruby to friends visiting next month. N. Mississippi is a great area to walk around too, from the Waffle Spot at the bottom to The Meadows gourmet salts near Ruby's.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We eat a lot of ice cream so it takes a bit to impress us, but this place had superb homemade varieties at fairly typical prices ($3.75 per small serving). The peanut butter and chocolate flavors were particularly delightful. We did not try the ice cream cookies, but they looked great.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The check in staff recommended this as a place to visit so we checked it out......glad we did......great mix of flavors on the board.....lemon meringue pie ice cream.......chevre cheese ice cream.....and so many other flavors that rock......will be coming back here again.......

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was a huge disappointment. Living in New York, I'd been looking
forward to eating at an actual Ruby Jewel ever since I saw "Lisa" on
Recipe for Success on the Food Network. On that show, she was a
bright-eyed, spry, eager entrepreneur looking to carve her way into
the niche gourmet ice cream industry. Apparently success has gone to
her head because the ice cream I ate at her shop was ridiculous. The
cookie was super hard. Cookies aren't supposed to be hard in general,
not the least of which on ice cream sandwiches. It didn't fold like
ice cream sandwiches do when you bite into them. It broke. Next, the
ice cream, which is supposed to be the star of the show, was bland.
Where's the taste? I'm from Ohio originally, and we have Jenni's ice
cream (which, incidentally, is sold at Zupan's), and I have to say
that theirs is much better, much more flavorful. I had high
expectations, which is perhaps why I was so vastly disappointed. Get
back to your roots, Lisa. Get back to your roots.

1  Thank grenba