“Good pub food with great beer selection”
Review of Rogue

Ranked #809 of 4,491 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Our Eastside Pub and Pilot Brewery pours 36 legendary and limited-release Rogue brews in addition to 19 taps -- the original 19 that our predecessor the Green Dragon Bistro & Pub opened with -- reserved for our fellow independent breweries. Danny Connors, one of Rogue's Innovation Brewers, crafts experimental beers in the Pilot Brewery near the back of the pub while guests can order food and Rogue Spirits cocktails at the bar, or lounge on our large outdoor dog-friendly patio. We've also got a private event space with a view of the brewery.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Green Dragon is a worthy stop for beer geeks. They always have an amazing selection. The food is good for pub food. The burgers are a reliable choice.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Did I go to the same place as the other reviewers? I got surly service, with a side of animosity. Apparently this isn't a unique occurrence at The Green Dragon. Yeah, the beer list is impressive, but hardly worth being treated like an idiot interloper to enjoy it. Admittedly, I didn't order food. Nothing about the service there encouraged me to do so.

Portland is Beervana. Almost any other choice is a better one.

1  Thank Priscilla P
Reviewed March 5, 2013

... and the food suffices to support the experience. The standing rotation of 50 taps (20 in front, 30 in back) is a wonderful sampler of area micro-brewing, worth the trip for a beer fan. The variety of food selection permits a proper meal for almost any palette.

Our trip was somewhat handicapped by two problems. First, they were short on staff due to illness (thank you for being conscientious to health standards). Second, the place hasn't been upgraded from the industrial acoustics: forget holding a conversation with someone more than one seat separated from you, even on a sparsely-populated week night.

Bottom line: if my friends choose it for another gathering, I'm there with taste buds a-quiver.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

It took us a while to find the entrance. We could hear people inside, but couldn't figure out how to get in. (We approached from the north.) Great selection. We sat and tried lots of hoppy beer while we enjoyed the afternoon.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I made a pilgrimage here hoping to connect with the beer blogger group that convenes on Fridays. Unfortunately, they were nowhere in evidence as this particular Friday was Black Friday, and the Dragon was featuring an impressive roster of brews noir. This is a place where beer reigns supreme, with over 50 on tap, including 5 brewed on the premises.

A place like this was beyond my wildest imagination when I made my Great Beer Trek in 1978 ... an industrial neighborhood, simple picnic tables, colorful local clientele, knowledgeable waitstaff, and ... 50 microbrews on tap! Wait, I've already said that, but I'm still pinching myself. This is like the great pubs of England and the beer halls of Germany. And it's a reality, and I am here.

So why not 5 stars for the Green Dragon? First, the beer I ordered was lousy. It was from a small, local micro, but it was contaminated by bacteria, a clear reminder that just because you are small and local, doesn't mean that you automatically make great beer. The truth is, there are good brewers and there are great brewers. I lucked out on the wrong side.

It's not the Green Dragon's fault that I mis-chose on my beer, but it's tough to give five stars to a beer joint where you get a sub-standard beer. I greatly look forward to my next GD visit where I can right this situation with an extra star.

1  Thank StepMorris1