“Very comfortable stay”

Comfort Inn & Suites Portland International Airport
Ranked #85 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I really enjoyed my stay here. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was helpful. It's only 2 blocks to the light rail line which can take you to downtown Portland, Beaverton, Gresham, and Hillsboro.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites Portland International Airport

Reviewed August 25, 2007

First, as previous posters have already stated this property is no longer a Red Lion, it is now a Comfort Inn & Suites. Now for my comments....

While this hotel is not in the center of town it is very convenient to the airport, less than a 10 minute drive. The MAX, which is part Portland's excellent public transportation system is a few blocks away and will take you into City Center (downtown Portland) in about 15-20 minutes. You can either walk there from the hotel which is about a 10-12 minute walk or one of the hotel staff will be more than happy to drop you off and pick you up. The first day we had the hotel courtesy van drop us off since we had no clue where we were going, after that we walked.

The area is very commercial. The immediate area where the hotel is located is fine but it quickly becomes very industrial about a half mile or so down the road. Note that everything is located in the opposite direction so there is no need to visit the more industrial part anyway. We walked a lot to the MAX and the restaurant next door. The area is well lit, we felt safe and had no problems.

There is a gas station on the corner, a Bank of America right across the street, a Residence Inn (Marriott) two buildings down and in between a decent restaurant called Elmer's. I recommend the salads if you're so inclined. You can walk right from the hotel's parking lot right into Elmer's through a gate. Literally less than 2 minutes.

Unfortunately there is a trailer park right in back of the hotel. Not a particularly attractive view however we requested a room in the front of the buildling to avoid the view and the train that also runs in back of the hotel. While previous posters have complained about being awakened all hours of the morning by the sound of a passing train and associated whistle, I can honestly say that I only heard it twice in the week that we were there and that was around 7 A.M. when we were just about ready to get up anyway, otherwise we found our room to be quiet . I would urge however that you call ahead and request a room in the front of the building to avoid such issues.

We were very pleasantly suprised how good the free morning breakfast was. The breakfast room was kept well stocked with make your own homemade waffles, pastries, cereals, yogurt, cottage cheese, biscuits & gravy, bagels, fresh fruits, juices and assorted coffees. Everything was attractively displayed in a neat and clean setting. There is a flat screen t.v. on the wall tuned to CNN so that you can catch up on the news while your having your breakfast. The room is small however and seating is limited so either go early or plan on bringing the food back to your room.

Our room was rather large, we had two queen beds, a double vanity, a pull out couch, a microwave and a small refrigerator. The double vanity saved us a lot of time getting ready in the mornings. The A/C worked fine and cooled the room nicely while not being overly noisy. The plumbing worked fine, no clogged toilets or shower drains. We had plenty of towels that seemed thicker and softer than most budget hotels. There were also complimentary shampoos, lotions, soaps etc.., nothing out of the ordinary but a nice touch never the less. While the room was by no means luxurious it was functional and much to our delight-CLEAN!

There is an indoor pool & spa that is open 24 hrs a day along with a small exercise room. We used neither but its worth mentioning as most budget hotels have no such amenities. There is also a small laundry room in the event you get caught short.

The staff was more than helpful and offered tips on what to see and do in Portland. They were pleasant at all times seemed to want us to enjoy our stay. All in all this hotel offered a good value for budget minded travelers and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank viton23
Reviewed May 10, 2007

It is important to know that there are two Red Lion Inns at the Portland Airport - one fairly nice, and one gosh awful. I have stayed at both. I think the good reviews that are showing up for this hotel are really meant for the other Red Lion, which is on 89th Ave.

I recently stayed at this Red Lion, the Red Lion Inn & Suites Portland Airport, located at 5019 NE 102nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97220. I have never had a worse experience in a hotel in my entire life. Here is a sampling of the issues I encountered there:

The room was shabbily furnished and carpeted, and smelled like a cave, and the sink was not in the bathroom - it was straight across from the bed, in the room.

The bed was uncomfortable and lumpy, due to a worn out mattress. The sheets did not fit the bed, due to the fact that some kind of mattress topper had been added, no doubt in an attempt to extend the life of a worn out mattress and box spring.

The sheets were severely worn, and nappy due to overuse, like flannel even though they were not flannel, and I could see through them.

There was noise transmission from the floor above me for another forty minutes after I got into the room, even though I arrived close to midnight.

Shortly after I got into bed, I became aware that train tracks were very close by - by the sound of a locomotive horn that blasted repeatedly. This went on, with another train coming by every twenty to thirty minutes, at least until I fell asleep - probably some time after 3am.

When I got up in the morning, I found that the drain in the shower was clogged. I was soon standing in six inches of water. I hate to think of how clogged that drain must be - it probably had not been cleaned in years.

I also found that there was only ONE bath towel, one washcloth, and a few hand towels. My lord - ONE bath towel?

When I went downstairs to check out and depart, only then was I told that the morning airport shuttles ran on a schedule, and that I had just missed one. I was told I would have to wait forty minutes - forty minutes for the five minute trip to the airport! I took a cab.

None of this was the worst of the ordeal however. When I checked into the hotel, the night clerk - an obnoxious fellow - demanded to see my driver's license. I gave it to him, but at the same time explained to him that the hotel's merchant bank agreement prohibited them from asking for further identification when the credit card presented is signed legibly. He looked at the license and began typing something from it into the system. I then asked him what he was typing; he told me that he was entering my driver's license number into the reservation system! This was incredible! Here I am all the way across the country from home at midnight, and here is this obnxious person who now has my credit card number and expiration date, and from my driver's license, my full name, home address, driver's license number, AND DATE OF BIRTH. This is a recipe for identity theft - every employee of that hotel now has access to all of my personal information.

I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank jim914109
Comfort97220, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Portland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2008

Our Hotel is the Comfort Inn & Suites at the Portland Airport. We have brand new pillowtop mattresses. We were built in 1999 and keep our hotel in excellent condition. Our rooms are actually mini-suites, oversized with either a couch or comfortable chair. For your protection we do require both the valid credit card and photo ID to be presented at check-in.

Reviewed April 14, 2007

We stayed at the Red Lion Portland Airport for one night on our way through town. The location wasn't the most desirable, but it did not feel unsafe. There was a grocery store and some fast food restaurants nearby.

The hotel itself was very clean and appeared to be fairly recently renovated. The furniture, bed and bathroom were all clean and in good condition.

We travelled with my 10 month old and had called ahead to request a porta-crib. At other hotels this has been a problem, sometimes it takes a long time for a crib to be brought to the room or there is a charge. At the Red Lion the crib was actually in our room and already set up when we got there! That was very nice since it was already bed time for our little one.

Part of the reason we chose the Red Lion was because they advertised a continental breakfast. We love hotels that offer breakfast, but it's hard to know what a hotel will consider a "continental breakfast". This breakfast (in a small but nice breakfast room with a television and complimentary newspapers) included: fruit, bagels, waffles, bread, muffins, cereals, donuts, coffee and juice. We were very pleased with it.

I would recommend this hotel for short stays - business travel, or just spending the night while passing through town. The servie was very good and overall it was a nice stay. I probably wouldn't choose it for a family vacation hotel because the pool was pretty small and it isn't very close to downtown or other Portland attractions.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Neanoe
Reviewed January 23, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel for three summers in a row and couldn't be happier. We have stayed usually about a week at a time for each stay. It has a free shuttle to and from the airport, which we used to save some money by not getting our rental car on the first day. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with refrigerators and microwaves, and the beds were comfortable. The indoor pool is also nice, and there is a patio for grilling, which is kind of cool.

It is not in the "downtown" area and some people complain that it's in an industrial place. Well, what do you expect? It's an airport hotel! Yes, there is a trailer park next to it, but there are also grocery stores and places to eat within walking distance. Downtown is about a 10 minute drive, so we liked using this out of the way place as our home base. We never felt that the area was "sketchy" in any way.

Just about a 5 minutes' walk up the street (or 30 second drive) are several Mexican restaurants, one of which (El Sombrero) we usually frequent once a day or more during our stay. There is also a steakhouse, and a few bakeries. The Grotto is a beautiful garden and church that has spectacular views and is also just a few minutes away.

This is a nice play to stay just for one night, or for a few nights if you like to really get the feel of a local area. We love to visit Portland every summer, and we will always be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank h1joly
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Myself and two girlfriends stayed here while visiting another friend who lives in Portland. The beds were terrific and it was really nice that the double sinks were outside of teh bathroom. The room was really big too with two queen beds plus a loveseat by the window.

The staff at the hotel leaves something to be desired. I don't think anyone working there lives in the area or is familar with this area of town. Several times we asked for directions for somewhere to eat, or a liqour store, and we were told, "I don't know, I don't live around here."

The transportation to and from the airport was nice and was the reason we chose this hotel. Also, it was supposed to be convient to the MAX line. An emailed response from the hotel said it was 3 blocks. If it was three blocks, it was three very long blocks! It wasn't far, but it wasn't convenient by any means. You had to cross two pretty busy roads. The convience was also hampered by the rain that fell the entire three days we were there visiting (by no means the hotels fault).

On the plane ride home, we were talking about the hotel. After learning the ropes of the MAX line, we decided that if we went to Portland again, we'd stay somewhere on the MAX line, maybe in the Lloyd Center area where you wouldn't have to worry about airport transportation (because you could take the MAX) and you'd be more convient to the downtown areas.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

We are located 3 blocks from the Max Light Rail system and offer complimentary 24 hour shuttle service both to and from the airport and to the Max Light Rail Station

Reviewed July 26, 2006

Never let a review(s) on this site swing your decision to stay or not to stay somewhere. We booked the Red Lion on Hotwire. After reading some reviews on this site, we were uncertain about this hotel. Bottom line is we stayed there in July 2006 and had a great experience: staff was teriffic, room was very clean, no noise, neighborhood was fine, good continental breakfast, etc.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business