“great stay”

Bend, Oregon, USA
Reviewed July 7, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
lq0265gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Reviewed July 5, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have to begin by admitting my bias in favor of La Quinta Inns. Save for a tiny handful of older, rundown properties - I'll be reviewing one such disappointment when I'm finished with this one, the chain routinely provides me exactly what I want at price that's usually reasonable, and virtually always less than similar chains nearby.

Reading reviews, I know there are folks out there who despise LQ just as adamantly as I support LQ. I understand how folks can have a different experience in terms of service and perhaps price. Most LQ's have a unique policy allowing pets, a policy I greatly appreciate, and I've seen gripes that a barking dog or inconsiderate pet owners spoiled a stay, and I understand those. But it remains a mystery to me how I can specifically be impressed by a facility's new construction, while another reviewer says the same hotel is too old, well past-due for freshening, and badly worn.

Anyway, my bias admitted, I'll say this hotel is just another example of why I rely on La Quinta for consistent quality and a reasonable price, ESPECIALLY when compared to like properties nearby.

My two-queen room was large and well furnished. I especially appreciate the uniquely designed desk/table combo that I've seen in a handful of recent stays at LQs, including this one. The desk extends out from the wall, and at one end of it is a round extension that serves as a dinner or breakfast table.

This room, like most others at any LQ, included a very comfortable office-type chair with the desk chair, and a comfortable recliner. The beds were exceptional, though I recognize this is a subjective judgment.

Also as I've come to expect from LQ, the desk staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful, while also seeming to be able to tell when I wasn't interested in mindless chatter and wasting time. They're pros of the sort I would otherwise expect to find only at much higher-end hotels.

This particular property did an even better job with the "breakfast room" experience than some other LQs, and virtually all of the competition. For one thing, it's held in a room of a suitable size. I detest those hotels that jam too many guests into a tiny room where we're all elbowing one another, and waiting in line to use the single toaster, to access the single coffee thermos, and so on, and all this typically takes place with a television blaring a noxious morning show from FOX News.

The Portland Airport LQ has a positively civilized breakfast area, and during my two stays here the staff has made sure every item remained stocked up and available right up to the end of breakfast service. (Another pet peeve are those MANY hotels that stop restocking the rolls, coffee and other basics anywhere from 30 to 15 minutes before breakfast service ends.) I do wish LQs would find a way to expand the menu for breakfasts to include some other cooked item (eggs?) beyond the ubiquitous waffle-maker.

Of COURSE I'll stay here again when next in Portland.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid a dog next door at an LQ, I gather asking for a room ABOVE the 1st floor improv...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

So wonderful to hear all the positive comments, we are an older property but we try to deliver 100% to each & every guest. Thank you so much for noticing what we DO RIGHT! Very much appreciate your loyalty to our property.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is very good at accommodating people traveling with pets. The staff was very pleasant, our room was clean, and overall it was a great experience. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. I will definitely stay there again. The only downside was the breakfast. The bacon was the consistency of leather. :/ Stick to the other offerings and you'll be fine!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
lq0265gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you very much for you wonderful comments! We love to see all the animal that come through our hotel with there owners! I am glad to hear we were able to accommodating to you and your pet! I have also talk to our breakfast staff about the bacon you had! We hope to see you on your next travel through Portland!

Thanks

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice clean, fairly well maintained hotel. Pleasant staff. Nice breakfast (they have a waffle maker!). Very convenient access to airport and easy access to I-205. Strong, reliable (and free) WiFi.

Very good value.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! Glad you enjoyed the waffles. Hope to see you again on your next trip through Portland.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We always book at La Quinta when we stay near Portland airport, and this stay was an exceptional one. As always, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were collected from the airport and the next morning were driven to our rental car site by the friendly shuttle driver after enjoying our lovely, free breakfast. I would particularly like to extend my appreciation to Brenda, a young girl who was working at the Reception desk on the morning after our stay. Brenda went above and beyond to help me with tending to my laundry needs that morning. I was so thrilled to see a lovely, polite, young girl with such integrity. She made our stay even better than ever. Thank you Brenda, you are a champion! Thank you La Quinta, it is always a pleasure to stay with you.

Room Tip: Our room was facing west and we had a lovely quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
lq0265gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you so much for mentioning how great of a job Brenda did. It is so great to hear that she went out of her way for a LQ guest. It is so nice to hear your positive comments, it really means alot to me knowing how great my staff is doing! I have shared with Brenda your lovely comments and it brought a huge smile to her face today! Hope to see you on your next trip through Portland.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I used to stay at this property every time I flew into PDX. It used to be nice and comfortable. In the last two months I've stayed there three nights, all single nights. In April I was told my reward number was no good, I had gold status which means little to noting really. I think you can send free fax's (who can't do that via wifi these days?" and a few free room up grades. They may have suites but I've never been offered one. I did get a free upgrade from a queen to king one night. But the rooms are pretty much all the same I think so room up grades in a chain where almost all the rooms are the same is just silly. There was a line forming behind me and I was beat. There was one man working at the desk. Another man kept coming out of the office and giving updates regarding an NBA playoff game. I told him "fine don't use my number just PLEASE check me in I've been in the air for nearly 12 hours and I just want to my room and collapse." I checked the next morning and signed up for a new rewards number. After I did it I got an e-mail for the password for my old number. Turns out, after looking at the check in form I signed the night before the man misspelled my name, Should have one "L" and he typed in "LL" I'm keeping the new number as I entered it into my phone and having status with this chain is basically all but worthless. BTW- of the three recent nights I've stayed here I've been awarded on night. I got emails asking for input on my stays but no points for two of the three nights.

Another thing that this hotel needs to do is some manit. Many rooms have carpet that's coming up, cracks on counter tops and phones that don't work. I had a 0520 flight out of PDX on my last night there and called for a 0300 wake up- the phone never rang. I missed the shuttle and had to fork out for a cab, 20 bucks. Had I not been in 1st class I might have been stuck in the check-in line so long I could have missed my international flight. I asked why there was no wake up call and was informed "yeah, I couldn't hear it ringing on my end either." "So going and knocking on my door didn't make sense?" "Oh, yeah, never thought of that." Wow, just wow!

One last point- I find it a little rude to stand in line while you're suppose to have "priority check-in." You stand and listen as staff offer walk ups the same room you booked on-line with their supposed "preferred customer" rates only hear walk ups are getting the same rooms for $25-30 less. Again the point of being a "La Quinta awards" member is what?

Really need to find another "go to" property near PDX.

Sad, I used to really like this company but their PDX location has just left bad taste in my mouth one too many times lately.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in a queen room. They're all right next to the elevator and all nigh...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I appreciate all your honest feedback as this helps me improve on areas in hotel as well as with front desk staff. I am so sorry in the delay in getting you checked in, it was obviously busy and we work hard to check in guest as soon as we can. I understand you were tired from your very long flight. Concerning your points for your stay, in reviewing your stay history it apperars several of your stays were booked by third party. Unforunately points are not awarded for these type of bookings, in future book direct or on LQ.COM, rates will be same as third party and ensures you will get the points that you are eligible for as a LQ Returns memeber. As a LQ return member your satisfaction is very important to us! I do sincerely hope you give our property another try in the future.