“Used to be...”

Ranked #31 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Merida, Mexico
“Used to be...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I used to stay at this property every time I flew into PDX. It used to be nice and comfortable. In the last two months I've stayed there three nights, all single nights. In April I was told my reward number was no good, I had gold status which means little to noting really. I think you can send free fax's (who can't do that via wifi these days?" and a few free room up grades. They may have suites but I've never been offered one. I did get a free upgrade from a queen to king one night. But the rooms are pretty much all the same I think so room up grades in a chain where almost all the rooms are the same is just silly. There was a line forming behind me and I was beat. There was one man working at the desk. Another man kept coming out of the office and giving updates regarding an NBA playoff game. I told him "fine don't use my number just PLEASE check me in I've been in the air for nearly 12 hours and I just want to my room and collapse." I checked the next morning and signed up for a new rewards number. After I did it I got an e-mail for the password for my old number. Turns out, after looking at the check in form I signed the night before the man misspelled my name, Should have one "L" and he typed in "LL" I'm keeping the new number as I entered it into my phone and having status with this chain is basically all but worthless. BTW- of the three recent nights I've stayed here I've been awarded on night. I got emails asking for input on my stays but no points for two of the three nights.

Another thing that this hotel needs to do is some manit. Many rooms have carpet that's coming up, cracks on counter tops and phones that don't work. I had a 0520 flight out of PDX on my last night there and called for a 0300 wake up- the phone never rang. I missed the shuttle and had to fork out for a cab, 20 bucks. Had I not been in 1st class I might have been stuck in the check-in line so long I could have missed my international flight. I asked why there was no wake up call and was informed "yeah, I couldn't hear it ringing on my end either." "So going and knocking on my door didn't make sense?" "Oh, yeah, never thought of that." Wow, just wow!

One last point- I find it a little rude to stand in line while you're suppose to have "priority check-in." You stand and listen as staff offer walk ups the same room you booked on-line with their supposed "preferred customer" rates only hear walk ups are getting the same rooms for $25-30 less. Again the point of being a "La Quinta awards" member is what?

Really need to find another "go to" property near PDX.

Sad, I used to really like this company but their PDX location has just left bad taste in my mouth one too many times lately.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in a queen room. They're all right next to the elevator and all nigh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
lq0265gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I appreciate all your honest feedback as this helps me improve on areas in hotel as well as with front desk staff. I am so sorry in the delay in getting you checked in, it was obviously busy and we work hard to check in guest as soon as we can. I understand you were tired from your very long flight. Concerning your points for your stay, in reviewing your stay history it apperars several of your stays were booked by third party. Unforunately points are not awarded for these type of bookings, in future book direct or on LQ.COM, rates will be same as third party and ensures you will get the points that you are eligible for as a LQ Returns memeber. As a LQ return member your satisfaction is very important to us! I do sincerely hope you give our property another try in the future.

Allison Woll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They have a free shuttle that took us to and picked us up from the MAX station. We were also given great directions to the Saturday Market downtown. The breakfast in the morning is excellent! There were so many options and they had flavored creamers for the coffee. The room was very clean and the bed were comfortable. I would definitely stay at this property again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MeganG2166
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments about our staff & property. Great that we could kick start your day off right with a wonderful breakfast before you headed to Saturday market, its a wonderful attraction in the Portland area and one of my all time favorite places to go on weekends. Next time your in the area we could reccommend area attractions for your famlies enjoyment. Lots of wonderful places to visit in Portland, hope to see you on your next trip through.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were booked in for a 3 day 3 night stay. Conveint for our purpose of visiting in Portland.
Beds were very comfortable, room was very clean. The morning breakfast choices in the dining room were great. I would return to this hotel in a heart beat when back in Portland.
Great staff and service above reproach. Thanks

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Thank you for taking the time out to write this review. I really appreciate the postitive feedback regarding your stay with us. I am glad you found our pillowtop beds were comfortable and the breakfast was great. Glad to hear you will be returning to our property! See you soon!

Enterprise
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We arrived late at night. I called ahead to let them know we would be a late check in and the front desk guy was super nice and said just to take our time and drive safe. Upon arrival he asked how many children I had with me and when I told him 3 he upgraded me to a suite at no additional charge so we had more room. The free breakfast was delicious and every time we saw a staff member they smiled and asked if there was anything we needed. Good staff makes all the difference in this industry!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind & encouraging comments regarding the front desk staff and our hotel. We work hard to ensure 100% guest satisfaction, I am so happy you felt that our staff went out of their way for you! We hope to see you again in the near future.

Salem, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've stayed at this La Quinta before but never again! We had a flight last Thursday and as we were waiting for our shuttle a couple was at the front desk talking about their car be broken into. Upon returning last night to hotel only to find out our car window had been smashed out and a few items stolen, nothing of great importance. Went to lobby to get more information about the circumstances of the break-in. Someone from the hotel had put a plastic sheet over the window to keep the rain out. But the young lady at the desk pretty much shrugged her shoulders to me. I asked when did it happen, she replied "don't know", I asked if there was an incident report filled out, her reply "no". I asked who had put the plastic over my window, her reply "don't know". I understand cars get broken into, but this parking lot must not be very safe. I will stay from now on where there is much better security in the parking area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. Your satisfaction and continued trust in La Quinta Inn and Suites are our top priorities. We look forward to showing you that we are working hard to make sure each visit meets your expectations and our high standards. We always strive to improve our operations. Security is a top priorty concering guest belongings including our guest vehicles on our lot. Although we can not control other peoples actions we do our very BEST to ensure our lot is checked frequently. I do apologize for the miscomminication in reaching you before you arrived back to your vehicle. It was not our intention to not inform you, I have spoken to the staff to ensure communication is our top priority.

Your continued satisfaction and trust in La Quinta are our top priorities. We sincerely hope you give us another try in the future.

PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were on a trip to the Pacific Northwest last week. We flew into Portland, Oregon, and had reservations at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport. There were four of us in our group with two rooms reserved. I did not reserve or check into the rooms myself, but from what I was told, it was a smooth process.

The hotel is located just a couple of miles from the Airport. Although we did not use it, this hotel offers a 24-hour shuttle to the airport.

The hotel is just off of off I-205 and Airport Way. There are several meandering back roads you can also take. The road the hotel is on is rather quiet and with medium traffic at most. This area is mainly made up of hotels and businesses relating to the airport.

Parking is free for hotel guests, but it's rough. The parking spaces are very small and it never looked like there was enough parking for this 5-story, 98-room hotel. We had rented a mini-van and it took up the entire space. Basically, anything but a compact car took up an entire space, and parking most vehicles in the nearly full lot took some skill.

When you walk into the hotel, it is warm and welcoming with a mix of dark and light colors, everything clean and neat, and good décor. The front desk is on the right and elevator is on the left. Down a short hall is a small but clean looking pool, hot tub, and exercise room. The pool looked like it was in need of a cosmetic face-lift, but not dirty. We did not use the pool while staying here.

Our rooms were on the 4th floor. This is a 5-story hotel, but it starts with Lobby, then 1, 2, 3, 4. So, we were on the top floor. Our room overlooked the parking lot and front of the hotel. The other people we were with were also on the 4th floor, facing the other side.

Upon going into our room, we were immediately impressed. The king sized bed had extra pillows on it (not just decorative). We inspected the bed and sheets right away and found it to be very clean. The bed was very comfortable, too. One of the best hotel beds I have encountered! Not worn-out, not squeaky or unstable feeling. Not hard as a rock and not lumpy. The pillows were also nice.

The carpet felt soft for hotel carpet, perhaps it had good or new padding. It was clean, stain-free, and I didn't mind walking around bare-foot in our room!

The bathroom was also very clean, no random hairs or noticeable soap scum, rust, or mold. Some hotels have the sink outside the actual bathroom, but this one did not, it was all in one room. The bathroom was quite spacious, which was nice. A small bottle of shampoo and a bar of soap was available for us. The towels were standard thin, small hotel towels, but clean and stain-free. The floor was not sticky or visibly dirty.

This La Quinta Inn & Suites had a superb shower! Great water pressure, plenty of hot water, it felt wonderful! My husband was equally impressed with the shower in this place. The hotel had soft water, which I particularly liked because it made my hair very soft.

The room had the usual items in it, hair dryer, coffee maker, and it also had a small refrigerator and a microwave. The microwave was tiny and outdated. We did not use it, but I did put something in the refrigerator, which worked fine. The TV was new, a Samsung 30” flat-panel. Not a whole lot of channels, and the channels weren't in HD, which was odd. Perhaps ours wasn't configured correctly or something. The furniture wasn't brand new, but not super old, either. No obvious cracks, breaks, or damage to anything.

The free wireless internet worked for us, they give you the password with your room key.

In the mornings, breakfast is provided as part of the room rate here. It's a pretty nice breakfast, too. They provide a variety of items, including eggs, some kind of meat (bacon or sausage), biscuits and sausage gravy, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), mini-muffins, three different kinds of bread (2 were sweet breakfast breads), danishes, waffle mix to make your own big waffle, and English muffins. There was also coffee and juice. The juice was rather sad, as it was clearly watered down and tasted too sugary. The regular coffee wasn't bad, and they also provided a variety of creamers and flavored creamers. The breakfast area is a bit small, and if you go there after 8:00 it gets crowded. But, the breakfast attendant did a wonderful job each morning of keeping everything full, clean, and neat.

We kept the no disturb sign on our door for the entirety of our 3-night stay. We didn't need anything from housekeeping. From what I could tell and hear, housekeeping seemed to be friendly and courteous to guests, and no excessive noise as they worked. As for the front desk, everyone I saw seemed friendly, except for the very first night when we got in late after eating, we got glared at when we walked in, like we were intruders. Not greeted or anything, just stared down in kind of a hostile way. We all just laughed it off, it wasn't a big deal. Everyone else at the desk we encountered seemed to be just fine.

The only noise issue was our first night there, which was actually prom night and some prom-goers stayed at this hotel. But they weren't excessively noisy, and not enough for me to really be bothered, and after that night, all was quiet.

This hotel is pet-friendly, and we saw numerous dogs during our stay. You never heard them or smelled them, though. I heard they don't even charge extra for pets, which is unheard of! I guess that's why there were so many there. And some dogs were on the larger size, so there must not be a size limit. Good for them, that is wonderful and rare to see!

I really liked how this hotel was always clean, no matter where you were, but never had any kind of chemical smell. Some hotels use a lot of sprays to make them “smell good” but to me that method is offensive. This one didn't use that. It had no odors what-so-ever.

There is no restaurant attached to this hotel. There is a Shari's about 0.5 miles away. It's a 24-hour operating diner and pie shop with really good pie! It's very convenient to the hotel any time of the day or night. It worked out great for us since we arrived so late the first night. According to the hotel's website, more restaurants are close by, but we never ventured out to those.

Also, the car rental places are very close to this hotel, so if you rent a car when you get to Portland, it's not hard to find.

Overall, we were very pleased with our entire stay at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport. I would highly recommend it for one night or an entire week. If you are traveling with a furry friend, I recommend it even more! The only negative was the parking-lot. It's a nice-size room, you don't feel cramped, very clean, and the breakfast is pleasant to have.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, about the middle of the hallway. Virtually no noise!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Willow L
lq0265gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time out to review our property in such a thorough way! I have read your comments and learned what guest really see. This was a very helpful insight so we can improve even more in the future. Thank you so much for your review.

Your continued satisfaction and trust in La Quinta are our top priorities. We hope you will be staying with us again soon.

La Quinta Portland - Airport