“Wonderful stay by the river ...”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #40 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, CA
“Wonderful stay by the river ...”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My wife & I spent an evening with the Avalon recently & had a wonderful time. Nice, quiet location located on the Willamette, helpful staff, full Continental breakfast, and nicely appointed room. Next time you're in Portland, give them a try!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Seattle
Reviewed April 3, 2010

The hotel is so beautiful, it's a shame the staff isn't a little more pleasant.

I was moving from Arizona to Seattle, and decided to stay at hotel Avalon on my drive through Portland. I called the hotel several times to ask if my UHAUL could be accommodated, and was I told that it would be fine.

When I showed up with the UHAUL they acted like I had done some ungodly act. The valet guy was almost abusive towards me, and the hotel staff acted as if it wasn't their issue to solve. They actually made me move the rig several times, and told me that I would have to leave the hotel before 8am the next day to clear the parking lot.

I am not saying that the UHAUL wasn't a inconvenience. I am saying that I stayed at several other hotels on my drive up who all treated me like a valued guest with a UHAUL. Not an inconvenience. I have never been paid to be treated so poorly, and publicly embarrased. SHAME

BED 4/5
ROOM 4/5
FOOD 2/5
SERVICE (if you could call it that) -1/5

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
seattle
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Stayed 2 nights w/3 high school juniors who were looking at local colleges. Very convenient to Reed and Lewis Clark colleges and Portland State. Very professional and courteous staff who would print out driving directions for me to get to these colleges. Beautiful, luxurious accommodations including the tranquil, zen like spa area, the comfortable beds are to die for, continental breakfast: cereal, juice, coffee, yogurt, fruit which was just ok but for free, I'm not complaining. Free car service into town which was so convenient and gave us fun time to explore Pearl district and the drivers were so nice, free daily newspaper and Wi-fi. Yes, the $19/day valet charge is weird considering the parking lot is steps away and one could just get their car themselves. But for the great AAA rate they gave me, I got a good value and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We booked the Avalon for 2 nights primarily because of the discounted rate on priceline. The hotel was fine. The staff was friendly, the rooms were comfortable, a light breakfast (coffee, fruit, cereal, muffins, and yogurt) was included, and the hotel was right on the river.

There were some drawbacks that would prevent me from choosing the Avalon again. The location of the hotel was weird. You had to get in the car to get anywhere and navigating to and from downtown was confusing. The previously mentioned parking situation was annoying. The parking lot was right there, but you had to rely on the valet to get your car for you all the time. The $19 a day rate was pretty ridiculous. Considering the parking situation is such a source of complaint, I don't understand why the management doesn't lower the rate or eliminate the valet. There was free street parking several blocks away, up a hill and across an extremely busy street. Street parking was so inconvenient we just sucked it up and paid for valet. Also, the hillside rooms really do look out at an office building unless you are on the top floor. Most the rooms have balconies, but ours of course did not. I asked at the front desk about getting a room with a balcony and they did accommodate a room change for our second night. The second room was much nicer. It was a corner room with more windows, a balcony, a larger seating area, and it was on the top floor above the office building view.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoBunnyCat
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2010

As always it was the best.....the beds are delightful, relaxing and the best sleep in months. The staff is very accommodating, I always have a great stay.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank BethO3
Hood River, OR
Reviewed February 28, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed a special anniversary when we discovered the Avalon Hotel and Spa, just outside the downtown core on the Willamette River. Great spa with excellent massage. Spacious suite with fireplace and river views was perfect for entertaining two other couples who joined us for dinner at the adjacent Aquariva Italian Kitchen & wine bar. Food and service were outstanding and the view of the Willamette River while we enjoyed the Oregon wines made for a perfect evening. Make time to walk the waterfront path into downtown the next morning.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
oregon
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Today, my daughter and I had great spa services at your spa. It was wonderful in every way. THEN, we walked over to your restaurant for a special lunch. We ordered a panini and the entree to split between us. After a long wait, the waiter brought out bread but no bread plate. THEN, the entree came in a little bowl. The penne was tough and I think I found one shrimp and one dried up piece of chorizo. The panini came and it was the wrong panini. We tried to eat it but the cheese was barely melted; it was overall disgusting.
I will never go there again. I can't believe I spent over $40 for the two meals. Yuk!
MerrieSue Dobert