“Pretty, but the rooms are Days Inn Quality!”
Review of River's Edge Hotel

River's Edge Hotel
Ranked #44 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 14, 2009

The hotel has a great design inside and out, but the rooms are a bit like an embassy suits, just a bit newer. It's "out of town" two miles, so it'a a cab or the coutesy car into the city. (Make sure you reserve the car early in the day) Most disturbing is the "Parking Fee" that they do not disclose at reservation time! The Air Conditioning sounds like a jet airplane (I mentioned something to the staff, but only received a blank stare), I would not stay here is you are a lite sleeper! The Gym is very nice, with a ton of equipment, view, and four tvs with private volume headsets! No Fridge in room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ROBERTLOUISSTEVENSON
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed November 14, 2009

We read about this hotel in a Frommer's book on Oregon. They listed this hotel as a luxery hotel and they raved about it. So we booked it. The hotel itself is a super nice building wih nice decorations and nice rooms. So, if that's all you want, book this place. But the PEOPLE!!! The EMPLOYEES!! Terrible. I mean, really terrible. I normally don't care much about how the employees treat me - I just want a beautiful place to rest my head. But this was ridiculous. The valet NEVER even offered to take our bags, though we parked ourselves in the valet parking lot (because its not marked as a valet lot). My pregnant wife stood in the rain holding her own suitcase while the valet told us that was a valet lot. I finally said, "Can you tell us this inside? Its raining.". The valet opened the hotel lobby door for us so we could walk in -- NEVER TAKING OUR BAGS!!!! Then we checked in. The lady checking us in was for sure a robot. She had to be. She told us the "rules and regulations" of staying with them. Never bothered to say welcome or anything social. My wife even commented that checking into their hotel was more like signing waivers before a medical procedure. The front desk lady was not affected but the comment. She continued giving us the "rules". Later, the valet pulled our car closer to the door but still let us walk in the rain to actually get in it - all while he stood somewhere dry. And he said, "Hey, pull the car right here when you come back." Nice. This hotel is beautiful. The location is terrible, but we knew that when booking it. But, with such a terrible location, they should fire all the robots and hire some folks who are trained to work in the hotel industy. Or, they are going to be forced to rely on "one-stay-wonders" to pay their bills. We won't be back - ever. And, by the way, I always use Trip Advisor before booking any trips. I have never ever posted a review. But this hotel needs this comment. Hope this helps some future travelers avoid this place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kwwd23
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed here for a business trip. It can be a little bit of challenge to get to the hotel from the freeway. The room was very nice and quiet. It had a nice, comfy king bed. There was pleny of room as well. The staff was very nice. There is no parking at the hotel so either you park the car on the street or pay for the valet parking. I'm not sure I would be comfortable parking my car at the street there. Overall, a good place to stay and I would come back again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We chose this hotel as we did not want to stay in the city centre. Easily walkable into the city if you like the fresh air, or the hotel have a complimentary car service. All the staff were very friendly. The rooms were a good size - we stayed for a week and found the space really good. Great size bathroom! We had a river view which was beautiful and again, definitely nice when staying for a long time. There is a great track to walk and run.
Can recommend Deschutes Brewery in town for great beer and the best ribs we have ever had!

Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed here recently for a last minute booking. The nightly rate seemed good for what it was but we were very surprised by the $20 valet parking that was almost required. We should have read the Tripadvisor reviews beforehand but we didn't have time to do so. We are very well traveled and we have never been to a hotel that doesn't have self parking for its guests nearby. At first I didn't want to spend the $20 for valet so I was told to park on the neighborhood sidewalk. Well, that was easier said than done since the nearest sidewalk where parking was allowed was about 15 minutes walk away. The majority of the hotel's guests being visitors to the area and not knowing the streets well, I cannot believe the Avalon expects the guests to drive around and around in search for parking spaces. Eventually I realized that I would have to park far away and walking back to the hotel in the evening when I was exhausted from my trip did not appeal to me. So we ended up paying the $20 for valet.

The room itself was very clean and nice. They have complimentary sauna and hot tub in the spa locker rooms for the guests so that was good. We did not partake but there is a hotel shuttle that drive guests downtown so that's a plus.

Reviewed October 18, 2009

The hotel is right along the Willamette River and offers a great walkway. Excellent restaurant right next door that offers room service (plus a all night menu). Drawback is it’s a 15 minute drive to downtown Portland. The offer a town car but we choose to drive ourselves. I would suggest it for out of town folks. Staff was great and always willing to offer help. We didn’t use the spa it looks like it was priced reasonable. One of the odd draw backs was the front door was not a automatic style and they didn’t have a door man when it’s wet could present a problem for some. Overall a very nice place and great beds. Its also LEED certified which is always a nice feature

1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The hotel has a contemporary decor, located in a quite business district, and overlooks the Willamette River. It was a great choice if you are wanting to stay away from the downtown area, but is still within a 5-8 minute drive away. The staff, morning and night, were very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was delicious, with health conscious alternatives. The rooms are very ECO-friendly! Kudos.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple