“A Great Place”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and this was our second visit.

It's really quite nice. We had a fourth floor room with a river view. The room is large, and well-appointed. The decor is appealing. The bathroom has a seperate tub and shower, and plenty of fluffy towels. The room also has a balcony, where you can sit and look at the river, weather permitting, of course.

Speaking of the river, there's a nice walking/bike path right in front of the hotel that streches for miles along the Willamette River.

The Aquariva restaurant is right next to the hotel, and believe me, it is top notch. The cuisine is noveau Italian, and it is as good as anything I've had in Italy, I kid you not. And it's not that expensive, either.

I have two minor criticisms of the Avalon. The service leaves a bit to be desired. I asked for a different pillow, and they never sent it up to the room. At one point, my wife and I were carrying armloads of packages in from the car, and neither of the doormen/valets bothered to open the door for us.

The hotel also charges $18/day for parking, which is absolutely ridiculous. There's an open parking lot within steps of the hotel, and there's no reason I can see for charging to park there.

That said, the Avalon is a fine choice. It's just a few minutes south of downtown Portland, about 20 minutes drive from the airport.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for River's Edge Hotel & Spa

Reviewed December 4, 2008

I don't see what's the buzz over this property. It looks modern from the outside but when you get in the room things are pretty unimpressive. Watch for scratch marks from the 1950s on side tables. The room is short of lighting, especially on the desk where one is supposed to be working. What they call "balcony" is actually a continuous walkway around the exterior only attempted to be partially separated by thin sheets of cotton to give the appearance of a balcony. I stayed on the fifth floor and water pressure was almost nonexistent. Breakfast is one of the few things this hotel excels at. They have made quite an innovation by serving breakfast on every floor. Another strength is a large bathroom -- certainly bigger than what one would expect from a hotel in this price range. The room itself is larger than average too. But then again, the armoir housing the TV set is also huge and the TV is centered at a height of 5 ft. If you want to break your neck watching your favorite show, there's the room for you. Internet is free!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Anytime I ever return to Portland, I will stay at the Avalon. Its setting along the Willamette River is serene, and yet you're just over a mile to the heart of the city. The treatment is first class, all the way down to little details like a personalized greeting you get when you call the front desk.

To me, the biggest plus, is the Spa itself. There can't be a nicer fitness facility inside any hotel in Portland. I like the way they do the continental breakfast, too. Muffins and fresh fruit are left on every floor, instead of downstairs. Want to grab it while still in your pj's? No problem when it's just steps from your door!

Two things they could improve on...these may be the slowest elevators I've ever been on. And, parking: $18 is fine for downtown. But a lower rate out here along the river would make a lot more sense.

In all, though, a fine hotel. Be sure to pay the little extra to have a room that is riverside. And leave yourself some time for a long stroll on the paved path that runs along the river from right out in front of your hotel!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2008

My sister-in-law and I just got finished with an almost unbelievable experience at the Avalon. We booked on Hotwire and there were some questionable reviews so we went in with low expectations. The hotel staff was incredible- upgrading us for a birthday. We got lost getting to the hotel and the front desk clerk practically stayed on the phone until we got there. They do charge $18/a day for parking but their complimentary shuttle to anywhere downtown more than made up for it- we felt like we had our driver for the weekend! The room was beautiful and cozy and the beds are to die for. Then the hotel staff recommended the Chart House restauant. The car took us up there and when we got there they had "VIP" on the table, a window table overlooking all of Portland and our menus had our names on them! Beyond just the city being one of the most clean I've ever seen, we can not wait to come back and do this again!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Great room with a beautiful view over the Willamette...but things go down hill from there. Service was reasonably efficient, except they got my reservation wrong and wouldn't give me the spa credit I had booked for. Carpets in the room were stained, and I'm not a neatnik. Light in bathroom was burned out. No big deal but it seemed they just weren't trying hard enough to be what they could be.

It was quite reasonably priced by city standards.

Overall the stay was disappointing because it seemed this could be a much nicer place than it is with just a bit of effort. I might stay there again if the price is right or place improves.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I really wanted to like this hotel but they have a long way to go before being on the same par as their sister hotel - The Governor. There was a giant white crusty stain on the black pillow that was really horrifying when I first got in my room, then our dinner was forgotten and this morning the alarm went off at ear shattering decibels at 5am (I'll let that last one slide) but the unprofessional front desk and rude spa manager are enough for me to pass on this hotel since there are so many others in Portland that have their act together. I recommend Hotel Monaco over the Avalon.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nerdybiztraveler
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I've stayed at the Avalon three times now, on the average of once every two years, and the quality of its service to business travelers has begun to slip behind the quality of its rooms, which are still a great value. The comfort, soft colors, quietness and relative spaciousness of its rooms are hard to match in Portland at this price range. The hotel is not isolated -- it's only five minutes from downtown Portland, and access to I-5 south and north is less than that -- so the location is fine. The problems show up in the things important to frequent travelers: the "business center" consists of two PC's and a printer, on a balcony above the main lobby. Unfortunately those PC's wireless connection is slow and intermittent (it's like a nostalgia trip back to the days of dial-up). On weekend mornings, when the restaurant next door isn't open, coffee and edibles are restricted to a fairly small credenza in front of the elevators on each floor, featuring banana or zucchini bread and muffins (but no other kinds of bread), accompanied by peanut butter and grape jelly (but no other kinds of preserves or toppings -- ever tried peanut butter on zucchini bread at 7 a.m.? What were they thinking?). Basically this set-up would be appropriate for a Red Roof Inn, but not a hotel that wants to capture the loyalty of business travelers. Since the staff is very cordial, my sense is that the management has lost interest in the details of what it takes to provide superb hotel service.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business