“A boutique hotel for the value of a chain hotel. Great rates for all that you get.”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #38 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

The Rivers Edge is a place I love. I feel like I get away from it all even in the bustle of downtown Portland. It's tucked away right on the rivers edge by OHSU but convenient to get anywhere. You can borrow a bike just to ride along the river walk. The restaurant on site is excellent and everyone is so helpful and friendly. It's the only place I will stay when in downtown Portland now that I found it.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank charmainecarnes
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Awe...thank you for loving us! It sounds as if we meet all your needs, but please remember to share with us if there is something else that might make your stay that much better! Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is our "go to spot" when visiting Portland. The location is gorgeous, quiet and serene, along the river. Next to the hotel there is a beautiful walk/run along the river to a quiet park roughly 1.5 miles. Additionally, the hotel just added complimentary bikes...we took a wonderful bike ride this weekend in a slight drizzle interspersed with bursts of sunshine - it was great fun and the bikes as mentioned were brand new! The hotel also just added a complimentary shuttle via a Lincoln Navigator to transport guests within a 3 mile radius - perfect for short 5' jaunt to downtown or the Pearl District . We always get a riverside room which I would reccomend. The rooms come with a small balcony and you literally have a wonderful view of the river 20-30 feet from your room. I also have to mention the junior suites with a fire place..very romantic, especially reasonable if you are staying 3 days or longer - tap into their 20% discount... Just a note, we are not big on generic hotels or hotel rooms. When we travel we look forward to a good nights sleep but also want to have a unique experience at a reasonable price which is why boutique hotels appeal. As mentioned we love our sleep and find this hotel very quiet. The Internet is free in the rooms and very fast, recently upgraded. I also love the spa and the gym - the gym is an entire floor above the spa, not just a small room with machines. Regarding the spa, Kylene gives the best facials and makeovers. They also just added a gal that specializes in hair -perfect for an event or just to treat oneself before an evening out on the town. They also have separate saunas, steamrooms and nice large jacuzzis in the respective locker rooms / men & women - a perfect way to relax after a day out on the town, hiking or getting back from the wine country - they are complimentary if you are a hotel guest. The adjacent restaurant and bar are also wonderful and so convenient - a 30 second walk from the hotel.. The bartenders are very knowledgable on a variety of wines and fun cocktails with emphasis on Oregon wines which we love. Shea is our favorite bartender - he knows Oregon wines and also grows his own grapes... Our first night at the hotel we always have a wonderful glass of wine at the bar followed by dinner in the cosy yet elegant dining room - in the summer and fall you can eat outside along the river.... The menu changes often and stands up well to Portland's "foody reputation". Reasonably prices, beautifully served focusing on Northwest cuisine. Very seasonal. Having said that they always have a good pasta offering or two... We can't say enought about this spot. We have stayed here several times over the last 5 years and this hotel has never disappoints. A short note on the staff - they are very accomodating, warm and always goes the extra distance. This is a great spot and fills up quickly when events are occurring in Portland so book early!

Room Tip: Riverside King or try a Riverside Junior Suite which are corner rooms and very romantic.
Green Features: I like the fact this hotel recycles and focuses on green practices.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M A
Oh My Gosh! I want to copy/paste everything you said and use it for our Marketing Campaign...you totally get what we are trying to do here at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, and what makes us so SPECIAL! Thank you for your faithfulness and support of our Hotel, Spa, and Restaurant. There have been lots of changes over the years and to know that we still have your loyalty warms my heart. We will make sure to pass along your glowing comments about Kylene and Shea - you are right...they're Rock Stars! We are so looking forward to your return...please feel free to reach out to me personally and I would be happy to assist in making your next reservation! Christine
medford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Second time here. This time we did a couples massage at the spa and we were very impressed by the beauty and cleanliness of the spa. And the massages were amazing! We stayed in a junior suite. Nice and spacious but no mini fridge. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank kj4him
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Well, third time will be a charm! We have heard from many of our guests that they would like refrigerators in the rooms...so it shall be done! As part of our upgrades to River's Edge Hotel & Spa, we are going to add these to all our guest rooms. I don't have a date for this, so until then, know that we have a dozen that can be put in rooms upon request, at no charge.

Please reach out to me personally the next time you are in Portland and I will make sure that all your needs are taken care of!

Christine
Richmond, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a night when passing through Portland. Having lived in Portland for years I was not concerned that it was not directly downtown as that area is loud and noisy and most of Portland's best restaurants are tucked away in the various neighborhoods. The location was great- close but very quiet and the views of the river were amazing. Staff was helpful. Bedding very comfortable and rooms spacious and clean with excellent bathrooms. Had a great soak in the spa tub and the gym is state of the art. Not exactly sure why valet parking was necessary as other have said but overall we were very pleased. They even provided nice bedding for the baby's crib. Would definitely come back.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank doctajay
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We feel the same way you do about our location...quiet, beautiful views and close enough to downtown to be convenient!

I did want to take a moment to explain about the parking. The entire parking area is owned by the office buildings nearby. We have to rent our spaces from them, and we only get a small amount. It takes some very skilled staff to manage our Hotel, Spa, and Aquariva guests and their cars.

Having said that, as of this week we have added a new amenity to our list...Courtesy service into Downtown (a 3 mile radius on this side of the River) in our brand new Lincoln Navigator! Maybe next time you are here, if our service area fits your needs, you can leave the car at home, take the Portland Street Car to the hotel and try it out!

We are all looking forward to your return!

Christine
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

The hotel is nice inside and out, and located at the very south end of the South Waterfront District. I used to work in the office building next door many years ago, so I was familiar with the area, and was excited to see how the South Waterfront area had changed.

Generally, I thought the hotel and service was very nice, but I had two major quibbles and one minor one:

The minor quibble: It is valet parking only, and certainly cheaper than the valet service at a downtown hotel. However, it's kind of odd that they have valet only, since the area that it's in is not really that dense, and it seems like that they could have had a free lot (or at least a cheaper self-park option) close by. We just parked for the weekend and used the streetcar, so the valet service was basically useless to us.

Major quibble #1: I liked the decor of the hotel and rooms, but neither my wife or I could really get comfortable in the bed. The pillows were especially terrible, and I thought that you could hear noises in the adjacent rooms more than you should in an upscale hotel. I'm a heavy sleeper, and generally can catch some winks anywhere, but neither of us had a great night's sleep either of the two nights we stayed. We honestly thought that the bed and pillows in the La Quinta that we stayed at in Salem earlier in the week was much better.

Location: I thought it would be fun to be in and explore the new South Waterfront district, and take the street car into downtown and the central eastside, rather than staying in those places. But although there has been a lot of building done in this area in the last several years, it really hasn't matured, and has a shockingly lack of restaurants and amenities for the amount of spendy condos nearby. So basically we spent almost no time in the South Waterfront District, which meant that we just had to wait for the streetcar every 15 minutes whenever we wanted to go downtown, and then take the 15 minute ride to/from downtown, which basically wasted half an hour for every trip.

All in all, I would stay downtown next time to be closer to downtown, NW 21st/23rd, the Pearl, and the Central Eastside.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hi! I was so sad to read the title of your review. I read all your concerns and I feel that if you were to give us a second chance, you might have a different experience. Valet Parking is a huge issue for all hotels in Portland. As you mentioned, our nightly rate is far below our competitors, however, the misleading appearance of a parking lot makes guests feel that we shouldn't be charging for parking. The reality is, we rent our parking spaces from the owners of the Office Buildings...and we only have a few to accommodate our hotel guests, Spa guests, and Aquariva guests. Unfortunately, this is not something we can change. What we can change however, are the beds! We have new owners and they are committed to sprucing up our hotel, beds/pillows/linens being on the list of "must haves." One thing they have already given us (arrived on the 5th) is a brand new Lincoln Navigator. We use this to shuttle our guests into Downtown so that they don't need to use the street car...even though it is conveniently located near the hotel. This cuts down on the time it takes to get there and gives you that extra little something that makes you feel special. Please contact me directly when your plans bring you back to Portland and I would love the opportunity to spoil you rotten and change your mind about River's Edge Hotel & Spa! Christine
Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Walked in and the looks and smell of the spa was hinting at 5 stars. But they did not deliver.

Pros:
-River side has great view.
-Nice veranda
-Hotel is very nice looking.
-Close to I-5.
-Room was clean

Cons:
-NOT walkable to downtown. Few miles away
-Outdoor, unsecured parking. They did have a valet.
-No refrigerator at all. Not even an empty one. When you come home with leftovers you need a place to put them.
-TV was not Hi Def. In 2013 no Hi Def?
-Movies on TV were at fixed start times and you could not even pause. (1998?). My wife and I like to enjoy a movie while on vacation.
-TV has to scrolling guide
-We called front desk for a pizza place and they gave us two national chains. I had to find a local pizzeria on my own. And I'm glad I did.

Based on the cons I can only give it 3 stars. It just seems to me a 4 star should have these basics.

Room Tip: Rivers side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your candid feedback. I am excited to let you know that we are in the process of updating our TV's! We need to have new credenzas made first in order to accommodate the larger screen's, so it is taking a bit of time for that piece to be completed. We are hoping by January of next year!. We also recognize that we are a bit out of downtown, 2 miles to the heart of city center, however, we are picking up our New Lincoln Navigator this week that will be available to our guests for one way transportation into downtown- Complimentary! I really hope that you will give us a second chance and experience these changes for yourself. All my best, Christine
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed with two friends for a girls weekend/40th birthday party celebration. We booked a suite and the "Just for the Girls" package. We were very pleasantly surprised by the room size, furnishings, view, balcony, etc. etc. In short, the suite was amazing and even included two bathrooms (very convenient)! The staff was extremely helpful with directions and local transit options. Our package included spa discounts and freebies, goody bags, as well as drinks and desserts in the restaurant. The spa was so relaxing, the beds were really comfortable, and the restaurant was terrific and so convenient. We had appetizers, drinks, and brunch at the restaurant and all was delicious. We walked a couple of blocks to the streetcar to head downtown for dinner & dancing – so convenient. We had massages and foot soaks in the spa before leaving…ahhh…..We only wish we could have stayed longer….

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends