“All in all, would stay someplace else next time.”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The hotel is nice inside and out, and located at the very south end of the South Waterfront District. I used to work in the office building next door many years ago, so I was familiar with the area, and was excited to see how the South Waterfront area had changed.

Generally, I thought the hotel and service was very nice, but I had two major quibbles and one minor one:

The minor quibble: It is valet parking only, and certainly cheaper than the valet service at a downtown hotel. However, it's kind of odd that they have valet only, since the area that it's in is not really that dense, and it seems like that they could have had a free lot (or at least a cheaper self-park option) close by. We just parked for the weekend and used the streetcar, so the valet service was basically useless to us.

Major quibble #1: I liked the decor of the hotel and rooms, but neither my wife or I could really get comfortable in the bed. The pillows were especially terrible, and I thought that you could hear noises in the adjacent rooms more than you should in an upscale hotel. I'm a heavy sleeper, and generally can catch some winks anywhere, but neither of us had a great night's sleep either of the two nights we stayed. We honestly thought that the bed and pillows in the La Quinta that we stayed at in Salem earlier in the week was much better.

Location: I thought it would be fun to be in and explore the new South Waterfront district, and take the street car into downtown and the central eastside, rather than staying in those places. But although there has been a lot of building done in this area in the last several years, it really hasn't matured, and has a shockingly lack of restaurants and amenities for the amount of spendy condos nearby. So basically we spent almost no time in the South Waterfront District, which meant that we just had to wait for the streetcar every 15 minutes whenever we wanted to go downtown, and then take the 15 minute ride to/from downtown, which basically wasted half an hour for every trip.

All in all, I would stay downtown next time to be closer to downtown, NW 21st/23rd, the Pearl, and the Central Eastside.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Hi! I was so sad to read the title of your review. I read all your concerns and I feel that if you were to give us a second chance, you might have a different experience. Valet Parking is a huge issue for all hotels in Portland. As you mentioned, our nightly rate is far below our competitors, however, the misleading appearance of a parking lot makes guests feel that we shouldn't be charging for parking. The reality is, we rent our parking spaces from the owners of the Office Buildings...and we only have a few to accommodate our hotel guests, Spa guests, and Aquariva guests. Unfortunately, this is not something we can change. What we can change however, are the beds! We have new owners and they are committed to sprucing up our hotel, beds/pillows/linens being on the list of "must haves." One thing they have already given us (arrived on the 5th) is a brand new Lincoln Navigator. We use this to shuttle our guests into Downtown so that they don't need to use the street car...even though it is conveniently located near the hotel. This cuts down on the time it takes to get there and gives you that extra little something that makes you feel special. Please contact me directly when your plans bring you back to Portland and I would love the opportunity to spoil you rotten and change your mind about River's Edge Hotel & Spa! Christine

There are newer reviews for River's Edge Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Walked in and the looks and smell of the spa was hinting at 5 stars. But they did not deliver.

Pros:
-River side has great view.
-Nice veranda
-Hotel is very nice looking.
-Close to I-5.
-Room was clean

Cons:
-NOT walkable to downtown. Few miles away
-Outdoor, unsecured parking. They did have a valet.
-No refrigerator at all. Not even an empty one. When you come home with leftovers you need a place to put them.
-TV was not Hi Def. In 2013 no Hi Def?
-Movies on TV were at fixed start times and you could not even pause. (1998?). My wife and I like to enjoy a movie while on vacation.
-TV has to scrolling guide
-We called front desk for a pizza place and they gave us two national chains. I had to find a local pizzeria on my own. And I'm glad I did.

Based on the cons I can only give it 3 stars. It just seems to me a 4 star should have these basics.

Room Tip: Rivers side
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your candid feedback. I am excited to let you know that we are in the process of updating our TV's! We need to have new credenzas made first in order to accommodate the larger screen's, so it is taking a bit of time for that piece to be completed. We are hoping by January of next year!. We also recognize that we are a bit out of downtown, 2 miles to the heart of city center, however, we are picking up our New Lincoln Navigator this week that will be available to our guests for one way transportation into downtown- Complimentary! I really hope that you will give us a second chance and experience these changes for yourself. All my best, Christine

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed with two friends for a girls weekend/40th birthday party celebration. We booked a suite and the "Just for the Girls" package. We were very pleasantly surprised by the room size, furnishings, view, balcony, etc. etc. In short, the suite was amazing and even included two bathrooms (very convenient)! The staff was extremely helpful with directions and local transit options. Our package included spa discounts and freebies, goody bags, as well as drinks and desserts in the restaurant. The spa was so relaxing, the beds were really comfortable, and the restaurant was terrific and so convenient. We had appetizers, drinks, and brunch at the restaurant and all was delicious. We walked a couple of blocks to the streetcar to head downtown for dinner & dancing – so convenient. We had massages and foot soaks in the spa before leaving…ahhh…..We only wish we could have stayed longer….

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KarenS52024
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Well equipped complimentary gym, Spa does a great deep tissue massage. They have so much equipment in the gym they need an instruction book or an instruction person just to figure out how to use most of it. Rooms are clean, well cared for. The TVs are the old type but who cares, your not in Portland to watch TV. The staff are sooo friendly and thoughtful. Sure it's not downtown Portland, this is a neighborhood centric city, so choose you area dependent on what you want to accomplish with your visit. I too was upgraded to a river view, did not matter as the river view is obscured by trees. The toiletries were superb, I don't know if it's because they are "green" or they just are greatness.

Room Tip: River view is nice but only seen between the trees and leaves
Reviewed October 15, 2013

River's Edge caters to high end travelers, and I'm not a high-end kind of guy. I booked through Priceline, which allows would-be guests to bid blind, and find out where they'll be staying only after bids are accepted.

I feel qualified to write a review of River's Edge, but also a bit guilty about submitting one. Many of the hotel's amenities were wasted on me. I want a quiet, clean room where I can work and get a good night's sleep. I appreciate meat-and-potatoes amenities like an ironing board, a coffee maker, a good wi-fi connection, an in-the-room safe. I felt grateful for the lovely view of the river, but would have been content to look out at the parking lot. Someone put in a lot of work to equip this hotel with an on-site spa. That effort was lost on me; I didn't visit it.

High-end hotels expect their guests to have deep pockets, and charge for services that are free at the homelier hotels I do most of my hat hanging in. I paid a nightly parking charge -- parking is valet only -- and would have had to pay for the morning buffet, if I'd tried it. Many would be happy to lay out the extra dollars in exchange for the lovely room and lovely view of the river.

The room was great, I slept well, and all staff members bent over backward to be courteous. The bed was softer than I would have liked, and I had to hike a bit to catch the streetcar. I boarded near the start of the line, so the streetcar ride into central Portland was longer than ideal, too. Those are my only quibbles.

I don't plan to use the Priceline system again. I prefer to study Trip Advisor and other online sources, weed out the suspicious reviews and book at hotels that match my practical, no frills expectations for accommodations while traveling. Please consider my preferences when evaluating this review. I wasn't a typical River's Edge guest.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Timothy_Adams
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business, a large picture fell off the wall above my bed, luckily didn't hit me. The staff was awesome about it though, investigated and fixed it right away and didn't charge me for parking and gave me free breakfast. The restaurant is very nice right on the river. The rooms are fairly updated, the beds are comfy and the staff is over the top friendly. It's not what i would consider a 4 star even though Hotwire rated it that, I would say 3 maybe 3 1/2ish

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 6, 2013

What a great location for a Sunday brunch (overlooking a quiet river with no industry or huge skyscrapers) which is what we did after staying in a very well appointed room with everything we needed. Thoroughly recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple