“nice, some hype”

GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“nice, some hype”
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We were driving through Portland and had planned to stay for one night. We wanted to be relatively close to town so we could go in for dinner. The Avalon has a lot of positives, nice large establishment, on the river, quiet location. The rooms are nice, similar to a Hyatt. We enjoyed the spa amenities--saunas and jacuzzi, and you can catch the light rail street car into town. It is a pleasant ride, just about a 10 minute walk from the hotel at $1.75 per person round trip. It seemed like a safe area, largely deserted, especially on the weekend.

Overall it was a comfortable stay, but I felt that the staff are trained to be very welcoming and attentive, but do not follow through. We were told that they had a towncar that could take us into town AND pick us up, but when I inquired about it, they seemed to be preoccupied with other guests and I barely received a response. We decided to take the street car into town, but even when I asked for a number to call from town to be picked up, the young man seemed inconvenienced to have to look for a card for me, telling us it was on the valet claim check. I didn't realize that they charged $18 each night for parking so that was a bit of a shock. We were given one of the worst rooms in terms of views--the back of the air conditioning unit--even a partial view would make all the difference. That would be something to really fight for. Also, the carpet in the hall was stained and worn which was really surprising given how they try to sell the place as so high end.

The continental breakfast was sparse but good quality. They serve it on each floor in the elevator lobby, but it was quite an undertaking to get any food or coffee back to the room, as they don't leave any trays. Kind of reminded me of "finger food" where they don't offer any utensils because they don't want you to eat too much. I took a lovely walk along the river in the morning and that was great. Not a bad place to stay at all, but not the glamorous and accomodating place they make it out to be.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Eurotravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed June 5, 2008

My husband and I were really pleased with our recent stay at the Avalon. It is a very posh looking hotel, well appointed and for the most part staffed by very friendly, knowledgable employees. We had a junior suite with a partial river view and it was a really comfortable, spacious room. Our only complaints were that the towels and pillows were pretty substandard for a hotel that was otherwise extremely nice. Also, we were surprised to see "old" TVs in the room rather than flat panels, which are almost becoming standard these days. The spa was WONDERFUL with very attentive service. I got a 30 minute upgrade on my massage for being a hotel guest and full use of the gym and spa facilities, which was a really nice perk. The restaurant next door, AquaRiva, was delicious and the walking path along the river was great.

• Liked — Spa and the overall look of the place
  • Disliked — Pillows & towels
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Alasla
Reviewed May 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed in a riverside room for 2 nights. We checked in memorial day and left 2 days later. I heard they were extremely busy over the holiday weekend but we got there after the rush. Which was excellent because every time I went to the spa it was just myself and a lot of relaxing privacy?

PROS:
-- A wonderful spa that is not co-ed. Each women's and men's locker room adjoins into the spa. Lockers, dressing rooms, toiletries (if you forget your razor they have you covered), slippers, cold water, showers with doors, a tiled hot tub, steam room, and sauna. It was very relaxing. This was the best spa I've been to in a hotel.
-- Rooms on the river with balconies (chairs and table included).
-- Nice furnishings (loved the armoire) and plenty of seating.
-- A European style door that leads onto the balcony is a very smart design.
-- A tile bathroom with lots of room, very spacious. Separate tiles shower and tub area. Shampoo and things were of good quality.
-- Nice continental breakfast. An assortment of muffins, breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt, coffee, and juice.
-- Nice bathrobes for personal use.
-- It's on the river and it's quiet
-- It's a green luxury hotel - meaning it adheres to specific standards to be eco-friendly. It is the 7th hotel on the planet certified by the U.S. Green Building Council as a LEED hotel. This certification sets the standard for environmental health and quality. We provide our guests with the assurance that their stay will be free of harsh chemicals and pollutants.

CONS:
-- Thin walls; we heard the neighbors especially when we were in the bathroom or if they were on the balcony.
-- Poor lighting. There needs to be a central light and not just in the corners. Additionally, one of the bedside lamps was limp and didn't stay in place.
-- Housekeeping was around at 8:30a knocking on the door. We fixed this by putting the do not disturb sign out. 8:30a is pretty earlier for housekeeping to be out in my opinion. Vacuuming was loud even if it wasn't in our room.
-- There is no parking except for $18/day valet parking. We knew this before we came and got creative and parked 2 blocks away. However, if you have an alternative fuel car the fee is waived.

DIDN'T BOTHER US BUT MIGHT BOTHER YOU:
-- It is not on the streetcar. It's about a 5-10m walk away from the last streetcar stop (about 4 stops past the fare-less square). There is a complimentary shuttle to and from downtown which we took advantage of as well.
-- We didn't mind the parking as we found a neighborhood 2 blocks away to park in. The hotel doesn't own the land around it, it's owned by businesses and the like so the hotel has to pay for the spots which are passed onto us. Makes sense to me. In general parking is expensive in Portland at all hotels. Some are cheaper but I think the Avalon is on par with others in the downtown area.
-- It is not in the heart of downtown but it's easy enough to get to if you take the shuttle or walk to the streetcar.
-- The elevator is slow as molasses. While it is a nice elevator to look at you would think for it's young age that it would be faster.

Overall, we enjoyed the Avalon and would stay again. The spa, breakfast, and other amenities made it an above-average stay for us at a boutique hotel. We travel to Portland every year (5th year as a couple) and this was the best hotel so far. I can't give it an excellent until they fix the lighting, housekeeping hours, and sound-proofing.

We did happy hour at their restaurant aquariva and the staff was excellent and the beers were cold. We ordered their almonds and fries and the almonds won hands down. They are delicious and not like the almonds you get at the supermarket.

Recommended for locals, couples, professionals, seniors.

• Liked — The spa was the best I have been to in a hotel (I'm comparing to hitlons and boutique hotels)
  • Disliked — Poor lighting at night
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank organicgreenthumb
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed April 7, 2008

First, let me start with the $18.00 taxi ride to this Hotwire "downtown" hotel. It's over 2 miles from downtown. If a downtown location is important to you, stay elsewhere. There is a limited shuttle to and from the hotel (with very wonderful drivers), but the hotel location is isolated and taxi fare adds up quickly. If you want to go over the river (Hawthorne district) you will need a taxi (another $18.00).
Next, if you book through Hotwire (and I assume any other discounted rate) you are given ~ direct quote~ "last pick of the rooms" and "other guests get the better rooms since they paid more" and "we have to give the guests that pay more the rooms with the views". I repeated this back twice to make certain that I was writing down the exact wording... Our view was of a warehouse, or some other office building. We asked for another room and were told we could have one the next day. The next day the rate had gone up and we could only have the room if we paid more money...
Of course, the manager on duty in the morning (Roy) told us that what we had been told the night before simply wasn't true, but my guess is that it is... why would the evening desk clerk make that up?

Our room was a handicap accessible room so no tub in the bathroom, but otherwise, clean and with all the necessary amenities described on the website. The chipped drinking glass and soap scum on the shower were a bit upsetting, but otherwise, just what I'd expect from a 3 star hotel. (This one is 4 star)
I do want to add that the staff were all very pleasant ... they just were unable, or unwilling, to meet our requests.
All in all ~ we felt that we were treated as second class citizens because we had booked through Hotwire. I would ask the management to remove themselves from Hotwire if this is how they do business with the clients!

• Liked — Nice continental breakfast
  • Disliked — location and view
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tootsie24
New England
Reviewed March 21, 2008

I wanted a downtown hotel and so I booked with Hotwire and ended up being booked by them at the Avalon Hotel & Spa, which is NOT downtown and instead is over a mile from downtown. So my main gripe with Avalon is that they let Hotwire include them in the downtown section of Portland.

Avalon has a free shuttle service to downtown, which somewhat makes up for the location, but the shuttle does not run before 7 am or after 11 pm. Also, there is only one shuttle and so if it is on another run, you just have to wait. Also, there is no service to or from the airport. I flew in and arrived at 11:30 pm and so either had to pay for a taxi all the way to Avalon or take public transportation. I did the latter and it took me two hours, including 30 minutes of standing or walking in the rain.

The rooms at the Avalon have no kitchen facilities, except the typical small coffee pot. Other less expensive hotels have fridges and even microwaves and other kitchen facilities in each room. Also, the continental breakfast was minimal. Other less expensive hotels have hot entrees for their breakfasts.

Those are the negatives. The positives are that it has an excellent exercise facility (although its hours are limited) and the staff are all very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The exercise facilities
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank p58mustang
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 18, 2008

I wasn't expecting much, just wanted a decent place to stay near the new OHSU Medical Office Building that wasn't too expensive and I happened to find the Avalon on Orbitz. The room was quite large, great bed, and a beautiful view of the Willamette.

What differentiated this hotel to me from any other hotel I've ever stayed at in this class was the service. The location is a bit difficult to find, and the check in clerk offered to drive to where I was to lead me in! That was typical of the level of service. I've honestly never seen the type of courtesy and concern for guests other than at the 5 star level.

I agree with the other posters who state that this isn't a downtown hotel, which can be either an advantage or disadvantage based on what wishes. The only minor quibble I have is that the restaurant attached to the hotel is a fairy high end restaurant., so the room service choices for basics were somewhat limited. It would be nice to have a breakfast and low end lunch/dinner option.

This is definitely going to be my hotel on future Portland trips.

• Liked — service, room, view
  • Disliked — limited dining options
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank AKSteveB
Texas, USA
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I stayed here for three nights, and was very impressed by the quality of this hotel for the price. My room was very nicely appointed, with a lovely view of the river. Both the fitness facility and the spa are first-rate and available to guests free of charge. The free breakfast was conveniently set up on each floor. The adjoining restaurant, although a little expensive, was wonderful. The customer service was excellent. Overall, I had a four-star experience at a much lower cost, and would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed March 2008