“Did I stay in the same hotel as the other reviewers??”
Review of River's Edge Hotel

River's Edge Hotel
Ranked #43 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked this based on reviews and pictures from Trip Advisor and other sites. I was interested in being close to everything in Portland (or at least to public transit that could take me to those things) and preferably a river view. I got neither.

The staff was very pleasant (although there was a valet but no bellman) and just as we started to go up to our room the clerk admitted, "You have a river view room, but it might be a little hard to see through the trees". Would've been nice to know when I booked.

The room is smallish, and the armoire with the TV is perpendicular to the bed. We did figure out (just before we checked out) that the TV (one of the old, heavy type) could be slid out and the shelf angled toward the bed for viewing in bed. But we really were disappointed in what constituted a "river view" to pay extra for at this place (see photos). We also found that it was way out in an industrial area, and the closest mass transit stop was about a quarter of a mile or more away through a rough-looking desolate area. The balconies are separated from each neighbor by a small triangular canvas flap and the patio furniture is cheap and uncomfortable. The furnishings were very drab too and it was difficult to find the right switches for the lights.

But the most interesting thing (which ended up being a huge source of amusement for my husband and myself) was a switch on the bathroom wall (see photos) that appeared to control nothing! It said, "TV Volume Control" but it did not control the TV in the bedroom and there was no TV in the bathroom! We wondered if when we turned it back and forth someone on another floor might be saying, "Hey! Who's messing with my TV??" :)

We checked out 2 days early and found a hotel in the downtown area (Vintage Plaza) that treated us like gold. Though their rooms (Vintage Plaza) are smallish and the beds not very comfortable, the hotel staff is over-the-top accommodating and the location is perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marcydrn
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear marcydrn,

I really appreciate you took the time to share your experience of your recent stay; your feedback is very much appreciated. Please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations. Would you give me the opportunity to talk to you directly? You can contact me at ana.maret@riversedgehotel.com.

Regards,

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,409)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was looking for a place to stay on a short visit to Portland and this looked good on Hotels.com and was reasonably priced. I wanted to stay close to town, but preferred not to stay in town as I had an early flight the next morning.

When I arrived they stated they upgraded me to a suite. It faced Macadam Avenue, however it wad huge. I had a living room, dining table, large hall, large bathroom with a big tub, shower etc. Very nice upgrade.

I used the gym in the morning and it was nicer than most.

I was driving a Hybrid so they did not charge me for valet parking.

Overall, a good experience. I would try them again.

Room Tip: Ask for the Willamette River View
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Clinton S,

We are thrilled to know you had a good experience during your short visit to the City of Roses. And even happier to read you will stay with us again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel has a gorgeous view of the river. The decor is becoming a little dated, but it is clean, well-kept and has a responsive staff. There is no in room refrigerator which would be helpful. The continental breakfast is only available on the first floor, and the variety of choices is small.
The hotel is in a great location if you are have wish to be close to the Hospital and within walking distance to public transportation. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows are really huge and we would have preferred a choice of a smaller pillow.
We have not stayed in any other hotels in Portland, but I would recommend this one for a clean, safe and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Request a river view!

Dear Shirley W,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Portland and thank you for your referral, looking forward to many more visits.

I would like to mention that we have few refrigerators available on a first come first served basis, you can request one when you book your next visit. I will be very glad to assist you with this, you can contact me at ana.maret@riversedgehotel.com

Rooms Division

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stay at the River's Edge Hotel on a regular basis for business and have had a consistently positive experience each time. I like the roomy accomodations, the high ceilings on the ground floor rooms, the abundance of berries and other fresh fruits at the continental breakfast, the delightful fruit-infused artisanal water available in the lobby, and the fact that you feel nestled in the woods if your room faces the tree-lined Willamette River. The staff are always charming ( a huge shout-out to bubbly Sarah at the front desk) and helpful and do all they can to fulfill my requests. Would agree with other reviewers that the décor is a bit dated, but it's more retro than old and I find it kinda cool - you just don't see hotels like this in cities on the East Coast or Europe. Having to crawl under the desk in my room to plug in my computer is a small annoyance and the greige carpet may be hiding stains I don't want to know about. Nevermind. What is more important to me are the great bed linens and towels and the fact that almost all the rooms in which I stay have a HUGE bathroom with a separate shower and tub. I always look forward to my return to this relaxing and well-run hotel and always sleep soundly there.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor have higher ceilings and better views of the river, which is somewhat...
1  Thank RWorldtraveler

Dear RWorldtraveler,

Can you imagine Sara’s reaction when she read your review? Yes, that’s exactly what see did, we love her too. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and for your four star review, we really appreciate your business.

Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel’s friendly staff and excellent continental breakfast make the River’s Edge Hotel and Spa a great place to stay in Portland. Though not centrally located, there are several options for public transportation, including buses, which are just a few steps away from the hotel. Our room was exceptionally large (as was the bathroom), and we had two televisions. If you have a car, be aware that only valet parking is available at $19 per night. We had a rental car but parked it a few hundred feet away (drive to Macadam Street, make a left turn at the light, then go about two hundred feet to SW Seymour Court on the right). The Aquariva restaurant is next to the hotel but we chose not to eat there. The menu was limited and the prices high.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RichT529
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear RichT529,

Thank you for the wonderful five star review. We are delighted to know that our friendly staff did it again, they are fabulous indeed.

We are grateful again for your great review, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We've stayed a couple times now, for several days at a time. It's a little bit of a mixed bag but the overall experience is nice and one I wouldn't hesitate to have again.

Rooms were very clean, staff was exceptionally friendly. Sarah (she mentioned she was an out-of-stater... management, I hope you are paying attention) in particular at the front desk was a delight every single time we spoke to her. There was also a valet with aviator glasses who's name I didn't catch, but he made the incredible inconvenience of a mandatory valet for a parking lot that is literally two seconds from where you're going and not hard to figure out at all, a pleasant experience. Kudos to them both. Everyone was very kind and accepting of our child, which is an attitude not often experienced when going places with a two year old! It meant a lot.

Can I just touch on the valet thing, again? Kind of ridiculous. I mean I get it, the restaurant gets busy at night, and there are a lot of fancyschmancy cars around... dig that there are a handful of people who have been given a job, and it definitely adds a certain class... but really? It ought to be an option, is all I'm saying.

Infused water in the lobby? Awesome, nice touch. Enjoyed that very much.

Breakfast on the other hand was a JOKE. I mean literally, we actually make sarcastic references to it in our every day lives. I have had better breakfasts come out of vending machines. Save yourself the headache and go out.

We never ate at Aquariva, though we did head good things and it seemed to be a hotspot in the evenings. The atmosphere was not child friendly (we had our toddler in tow), and a little stuffy for our tastes anyhow. Food was somewhat of an issue, considering you are a little disconnected from everything. Hot Lips Pizza delivers, and if you're in the mood for a (quite nice) 10 minute walk or so, there is a great Vietnamese place as well as a super casual local burger chain right around OHSU. We enjoyed both, Vietnamese being the star of that show.

Never visited the gym, either, because the outdoor walking options were just lovely. We walked the path along the river every morning and several evenings (it is busy, so if you've got your headphones in make sure to respect flow of traffic!). Also walked to OHSU and the surrounding areas daily. You can catch the streetcar there to get downtown if you don't want to mess with driving/parking.

The rooms were very nice. Beds so comfy we had to peek under the sheets and take note for ourselves. We all slept like babies, even OUR baby who is prone to toss and turn like well, a two year old. Linens, awesome. Stayed in the corner suite and loved the windows, and the bathroom. Urban luxury for sure. Comfort and then some. Clean, as I mentioned before. I have this horrible habit of being bedbug-paranoid any time I stay anywhere. The thought NEVER once crossed my mind in this place. This is truly impressive in my opinion.

Definitely go for the riverside view. Unless you have a cottonwood allergy in which case I suggest avoiding the place all together.

Had a few quirks however... one time we stayed and out bathtub was missing part of the drain stopper. Maintenance was super quick to fix it and very nice. AC in the bedroom was REALLY loud. Tv remotes never seemed to work very well, and it was so odd to us that such modern rooms still rocked the oldschool tube televisions. Not really an issue, we're not big tv people. A few times the window treatment tracks were super sticky... and the doors to the balconies while very innovative never worked quite right. It seemed a bit like the idea was beyond some people and they had been forced one way or another too many times. Would have liked to be able to open more windows, as we were there for three nights during one stay and the AC was on the fritz. We spoke with the desk about it twice and were assured it would be dealt with promptly. It was not. The day we were packing to leave (well before our check out) I was surprised with two maintenance guys in our room when I walked out of the bedroom. Thankfully I'd met the one before, so I wasn't terribly alarmed... but still. They said they were only just informed of the problem a few minutes before. This was THREE DAYS after we first brought it up with the desk.

I'd definitely go back. We're pretty laid back people, so it's flaws made it a little endearing. There were other members in our party who were a little less satisfied. I suppose it just depends on the height of your expectations.

Room Tip: Corner suites have gorgeous light and a lot of privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Simply P
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Impandpetal,

We are delighted to know you had a very nice experience and we really appreciate your very detailed recount of your recent stay at River’s Edge Hotel and Spa.

Sara and our unidentified Valet with aviator glasses (still working on pinpointing the one) will be thrilled when they read your outstanding comments on the service they provided, thank you on their behalf.

I am very sorry for the slow response to your request about the AC problem; we will discuss this incident with the team to avoid this from happening again.

Thank you for sharing great tips with the TripAdvisor community, we really appreciate your business and can not wait until your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

As a wind down from dragon boat races for Rose Festival, I spent a relaxing Sunday
night at River's Edge Hotel and Spa. I didn't get a chance to take advantage of the spa;
but just relaxing on the deck over looking the river was great. I loved the way it's sort of
feels like a secret above the very popular walkway.
Would highly recommend it for a staycation in downtown Portland!!

Room Tip: Ask for river view, for sure!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Rebecca H,

What a beautiful review, thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community and for the recommendation. If you were looking for a reason to come back and stay with us again, I can help you find one (or two): “spa treatments”. Feel free to contact me directly, I will be very glad to assist you with your reservations arrangements.

Rooms Manager